OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Quality scope with a parrallax of 25yd or less.???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Quality scope with a parrallax of 25yd or less.???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality scope with a parrallax of 25yd or less.???
    Posted: February/09/2008 at 14:42
I am looking for a quality scope for my Volquartsen 22lr with a parrallax of 25yds or less. The local indoor gun range is 25yds. I have looked and like the 3-9 kahles CL, but it only goes down to 30yds. I have a Leupold VX II 3-9 EFR, but after using my Swarovski and Nightforce scopes it is a let down. I have also considered a Bushnell 4200 4-16 AO, but would like a wider field of view for hunting small game.

Also I have been told that I could use the kahles 3-9 CL and in order to get the parrallex down to 25yds I could just decrease the magnification to say 6 or 7. Is that true?

Also what would be a minimum field of view for hunting small game?? 25yds, 30yds??

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments!!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 09:09
Go to another range. Are you shooting in someone's cellar?

If you're shooting game/varmints that are NOT running, you don't need much field of view. If you want some field of view--use it on 4X. That's enough.             Smile      --Ed

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 09:47
5 yards should not be a problem as far as the CL goes...... the 30 setting will be just fine at 25.  Regarding FOV....... what power are using in a hunting situation?  I have all my scopes set on 4, and if I have to, I increase the power when needed!  Which isn't very often!!
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 15:02
300S&W says,

"3x9 Sightron Big Sky w/ AO ,10 to infinity. Just read it on SWFA's product web sight."

This scope has gotten pretty good reviews here.
take em!
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 18:53
Thanks for your thoughts Tip69. I was not sure if it was parrallax free to a min of 30yds if it would cause problems at 25yds(targets). When I am hunting I am at the min magnification which is 3 to 4x. I looked at the 3x9 Sightron Big Sky w/ AO, but it seems that everyone raves about the Kahles as being a much better scope. So that is why I was looking at it.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 23:28
I'm kind of new to this paralax thing, but what I understand, 5 yds shouldn't be a big deal.  You might want to post this question on the rifle scope thread....... you'll get more hits over there.  I have just recently purchased a Kahles CL 3-10X50........ so you know I like those.  I have not seen the Big Sky, so can't say how it compares.  I just added it because it is a quality scope and has the 10 yd adjustment.
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic