OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris XTR get a rain coating.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris XTR get a rain coating.
    Posted: February/08/2008 at 13:03
I ordered a Burris XTR a while back, and it was backordered waiting for the new ones to come in.  No problem there, as I really don't need it any time soon.  Just a side note, SWFA customer service is awesome.  Very friendly and willing to help in any way possible.  I won't order anywhere but SWFA just because of the service they offer.  Thanks to SWFA.

Anyway, SWFA told me that the scope had a new product number, so me being the curious type, called Burris to see what the difference is between the new (2008) and the old (2007) XTR is.   They told me the only difference is that the new scopes have a rain coating on them that is supposed to be like the raingaurd of bushnell.  Of course they won't use the term raingaurd, but that is what it is supposed to be like.

Once I get the new scope, I will test it to see how it does with the new coating vs bushnell, then let you guys know what I think.  I am hoping it does as well as raingaurd.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 13:06
sweet cant wait to hear about it, i assume most optics companies will follow bushnells lead in the rainguard dept.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 15:42
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

I ordered a Burris XTR a while back, and it was backordered waiting for the new ones to come in.  No problem there, as I really don't need it any time soon.  Just a side note, SWFA customer service is awesome.  Very friendly and willing to help in any way possible.  I won't order anywhere but SWFA just because of the service they offer.  Thanks to SWFA.

Anyway, SWFA told me that the scope had a new product number, so me being the curious type, called Burris to see what the difference is between the new (2008) and the old (2007) XTR is.   They told me the only difference is that the new scopes have a rain coating on them that is supposed to be like the raingaurd of bushnell.  Of course they won't use the term raingaurd, but that is what it is supposed to be like.

Once I get the new scope, I will test it to see how it does with the new coating vs bushnell, then let you guys know what I think.  I am hoping it does as well as raingaurd.
................................Helo..................Try with your Burris what I did with my 4200........3 straight days (a full 72 hours) in the freezer,,,,,,,,,,then immediately submerge in water for several hours,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then tie the scope securely to a string about 18" over a big pot of boiling water from your stove overhang for about an hour!..................Assuming you do those, I`m curious to find out how the Burris does!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 15:49
Okay, I'm finally going to take a shower with the 4200.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 15:53
squeeze did i hear your raising hell again?? the scope he's talking about he doesnt even have yet dont jump to conclusions yet.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 15:58
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

.....................................Make sure you wash behind the turrets with some scope soap????..........Objects looked at through the scope,,,,may appear bigger than what they actually are??......Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing..............Have fun!   Naughty
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 16:02
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

squeeze did i hear your raising hell again?? the scope he's talking about he doesnt even have yet dont jump to conclusions yet.
....................................................Me? Raisin hell? Me??? Naaaa!.............WHEN (AFTER), he gets the scope,,,TRY that torture test!!!!!............Not jumping to conclusions yet!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 16:07
i think the rainguard thing will become a standard item in the near future, like turret caps.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 16:12
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

................................Helo..................Try with your Burris what I did with my 4200........3 straight days (a full 72 hours) in the freezer,,,,,,,,,,then immediately submerge in water for several hours,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then tie the scope securely to a string about 18" over a big pot of boiling water from your stove overhang for about an hour!..................Assuming you do those, I`m curious to find out how the Burris does!

Yeah, I'll throw it in there.  Give it a chance to get well acquianted with the elk in there.Sharp%20Shooter  I want that scope to know what we are going after.  I will throw in my 4200 as well.  See what happens.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 16:13
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

No your not!!  Yikes 
Are you really?? Big%20Grin 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 16:15
Big Squeeze, if it passes the test, you going to buy one?Big%20Smile

GEORGE WASHINGTON
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 16:17

i think the rainguard thing will become a standard item in the near future, like turret caps.
.........................You can be assured though, that whatever formula Bushnell uses for its Rainguard is "top secret" and/or a patented process...........Other scope makers have, currently do or will use their own formulas to try and achieve the same results!..........If a scope lacks or is deficient in good lens coatings for bad weather use, there are always flip up scope covers! 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 16:18
i have a feeling that the boys at zeiss are up to the task!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 16:25

Big Squeeze, if it passes the test, you going to buy one?Big%20Smile
................................................Nope! Don`t want or need a tactical scope! If Burris made a lower powered variable with a straight 1" tube, instead of just the 30mm tube, I`d be a good candidate for a Burris when my M1500 Howa 375 Ruger comes in........................Not a tactical guy because I have no need for a tactical rifle!    
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 16:26

i have a feeling that the boys at zeiss are up to the task!
....................................Highly likely!!!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 16:32
I'll let them know to work one up for you next time I talk to them.Wink

GEORGE WASHINGTON
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 16:37

I'll let them know to work one up for you next time I talk to them.Wink
................................Why thank you!................I prefer a 1" tube because I can readily switch over without buying new 30mm rings. I want the option to take the scope on my 375 and put it on my 300 WSM and visa versa.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 16:43
They do have the powers you want in the signature series, just isn't a straight tube (although it is a 1" tube).  And no raingaurd, but I bet they start putting that on all there scopes in the future, not just the XTR.  I will have to talk to them again to see if they are incorporating that into all of their lines.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 17:00

They do have the powers you want in the signature series, just isn't a straight tube (although it is a 1" tube).  And no raingaurd, but I bet they start putting that on all there scopes in the future, not just the XTR.  I will have to talk to them again to see if they are incorporating that into all of their lines.
..............................Yeah! I know! But a straight tubed scope looks better on a DGR and the DGR looks more like a,,,DGR,,,with a straight tubed scope! IMO!................They`re lighter, better FOV and faster to target............Since there are no Burris or 4200 1' straight tubed scopes, I`ll either go with the Nikon 1.25-4.5x20 Monarch UCC (aka. a shotgun scope) or the Weaver Classic V3 1x3 for the 375 Ruger along w/some scope covers!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 17:04
i will be intrested to see if ilya says something about this subject!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic