OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Long Range Scope for .308?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrod014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Long Range Scope for .308?
    Posted: February/06/2008 at 14:14
In your opinion, what is the best long range scope for a 308?

Please post links to the product if you have any in mind.

I'm still in need for a long range scope.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 14:17
Define, "long range"
What is your budget?
What gun is it going on?
Do you require bulet-drop compensation?
What specific features do you require?
What specific features do you want?

Without any of the requested info, I would say USO SN3 with EREK.  With the requested info, that might change.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 14:22
I would agree with everything RC said and add what kind of shooting are you planning? Are you going for target or varmint for fun or serious competition?

Duce Smile
Duce

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 14:23
Also, some really good info here:

That'll keep you busy for awhile.  you didn't say tactical was needed, but Zak's stuff lays a pretty good foundation.

I've seen big deer killed with Tasco scopes and I've seen clean misses on huge deer and hogs with leupold scopes; optics is only a small (but very important) part of the equation.
jrod014 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrod014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 14:25
Thanks for your fast reply.
I'm looking to take up long range shooting out to about 1000 yrds
My budget is $1,200
It will be mounted on a springfield m1a scout
I want a illuminated reticle, fully multi-coated,h2o proof, shock proof, fog proof etc..

jrod014 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrod014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 14:29
I want to also find some schools that provide long range shooting classes. If you can help me out there I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 14:32
Do you have the rifle yet or getting it?

I have a SOCOM and it ain't the very best long-range rifle.  The barrel isn't ideal, the mount isn't ideal, and the trigger isn't ideal.

If you already have the scout, you need to consider mounting options and needs, probably a Gen3 SA mount. 

Will the shots be on a known-distance range (do you need reticule ranging), will the shots be bench-rest?

jrod014 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrod014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 16:12
I want to practice unknown distance, so, I need a mil-dot to estimate range.

Yeah i already got the M1A Scout/M14, I VIDEO blogged about it on youtube. Check out the video and tell me what you think.

I appreciate all comments!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpjvI6x0_PM

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 16:25
This one is sweet. 
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12303-292-ior-4-14x50-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx
You could also go with this one it is FFP and is in cm instead of MOA
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10157-292-ior-25-10x42-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

A problem you may run into is with the rail you are putting on your gun most likely is not a slanted rail.  Meaning the back is not going to be higher than the front, so you are going to need a scope with a lot of adjustment to reach 1000 yards with out a 20 MOA base.  Most of the IOR scopes are designed to use a 20 MOA base and most scope will perform better because when you are shooting at those longer distances it will put your lens assembly/reticle in the center of your scope so you have a lot of windage adjustment.  Here is a link that explains that a bit better.  Top post
 http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9676&PN=2
You may want to spend a bit more and get a Nightforce, they have better adjustment range some of them have 100+ MOA, but the glass is not as good as an IOR.  But it is still good glass, you will just notice the lack of quality at the higher powers compared to good Euro glass.

That school I posted earlier to show you on your other post is a really good one.  Vern is a world record holder shooter and was a sniper in the military and has been a precision marksmen all his life.  I have not taken a class from him yet, hoping to this fall or spring of 09.  Those who have taken from him say he is one of the best teachers out there, even very experienced shooters cannot believe what Vern was able to teach them.  
http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com

Edited by supertool73 - February/06/2008 at 16:35
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 20:30

http://www.stormmountain.com/?Training-Division

Vern still doing classes??
I heard something to the contrary at my local range last Sunday. Hope he's wrong. Vern's good people.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 21:53
He has been teaching classes all winter.  One of his recent posts at snipersparadise was telling everyone to come up and train with him in the winter months.  He said we need to know how to shoot when it is cold as well.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2008 at 03:41
Hmmmm.....
PM inbound, super.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:02
 Check out your local hunt clubs .... and local shooting ranges ,,,, you'd be surprised of some of the fine ranges and experts giving lessons there !
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 11:05
Originally posted by merceanary1947 merceanary1947 wrote:

Check out your local hunt clubs .... and local shooting ranges ,,,, you'd be surprised of some of the fine ranges and experts giving lessons there !
Karate          Whatever Beware of mall ninjas!

First you need to change the stock.

Then you need to have it re-barreled and worked over by a competent gun smith.

Then you put a U.S. Optics  SN3 with EREK on it.
Paint it:

So just send it to George at GAPrecision and send money  -  then wait about 8 to 10 months.

estimated cost  $5000. +       results incredible!!!

Suggestion : put an aimpoint on it and use it for what it was  designed for, and buy this for $2250.  :     http://www.gaprecision.com/AR10.html 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/23/2008 at 11:09

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ssf467 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssf467 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 20:05
Leupold MK4 with M4 target knob
Ghost Rider View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghost Rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 04:50
Uri,
The mall ninja thing is pretty funny. When we were first deploying, a young and obviously stupid kid in the company was gonna bring his nunchucks. I asked him what he planned on doing with them, after hearing his obviously stupid answer I told him to give me a demonstration. He dropped them after about five seconds of swinging the gay little sticks. I put him in the front leaning rest, pulled out my kbar and carved penis heads on the end of them and told him that if I ever seen them again I would shove them up his a.. ! Nothing to do with scopes, just thought you might get a laugh.
Bronze Star w/"V"...down graded...Article 15,Section 8
PrecisionRifleBlog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrecisionRifleBlog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 16:15
I get this question A LOT from friends. So often in fact, that I took the time to write a comprehensive blog post about it.  It covers what the most important features are that you should look for in a long-range scope, and I also make specific recommendations for different price points.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 16:36
Welcome to Optics Talk.

Saw you over at Sniper Central today. Don't mind you posting links to your blog, but please post within the confines of the OT ROE that you agreed to when you signed up.

Thank you.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 17:32
Your explanation of First and Second focal planes is wrong. And tube size has NOTHING to with light transmission.  
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2013 at 17:35
Originally posted by PrecisionRifleBlog PrecisionRifleBlog wrote:

I get this question A LOT from friends. So often in fact, that I took the time to write a comprehensive blog post about it.  It covers what the most important features are that you should look for in a long-range scope, and I also make specific recommendations for different price points.

BS Flagmy comments on your blog.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic