OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

*NEW* Bushnell Custom Compact Elite Binocular

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *NEW* Bushnell Custom Compact Elite Binocular
    Posted: February/05/2008 at 22:43
It would seem that Bushnell has decided to upgrade their Custom Compact binocular to a new, waterproof/fogproof model and are renaming it under their Elite line. They are still keeping the 7x26 configuration. In fact, pretty much all the other specs seem to have remained basically the same (though there is some confusion on Bushnell's website as to whether this binocular has fold-up or twist-up eyecups.) I have seen preliminary prices of $250 - which is about the same as what the traditional Custom Compact was selling for.

Although I'm not a huge fan of the reverse-porro design, this binocular (with its 3.7mm EP) might just prove a very nice little bino for archery hunting.

Here's a link to Bushnell's web page:

http://www.bushnell.com/general/binoculars_elite_62-0726.cfm

Very intriguing.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Spitzer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spitzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 18:56
They aren't waterproof/fogproof though.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 12:18
Hmmm...

There appears to be some changing of the specs for these binoculars.  They were advertised originally as "waterproof, fogproof" on both the Bushnell website as well as some other retailers' websites.

Now, on the general "Elite binoculars" page at Bushnell.com all Elites are declared as being waterproof/fogproof but, if you drill down specifically to the Compacts, there is no mention of what degree of weatherproofing there is.  Drilling down to the pages for the other, full-size Elite models shows that each one is individually declared as waterproof/fogproof, etc.

On one prominent retailer's website the waterproof/fogproof declaration for the Compacts has been changed to "weather resistant."  On yet another it remains stated as "waterproof/fogproof."

I can't imagine what advantage these would have over the Custom Compacts that have been around for a long time if they have not been upgraded to a "waterproof/fogproof" unit.  They don't even look as nice as the Custom Compacts! 

I would definately advise a call to Bushnell before buying one of these to confirm their weatherproofing status.  If they are indeed only "weather resistant,"  I can't imagine very many people will ever actually buy one. I know I sure wouldn't.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 14:11
Even if they are not waterproof, I think Custom Compacts are still the best compact binoculars I have ever used (in terms of image quality).  I am just happy they are not discontinued.

ILya
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 15:26
My OLD 6X25's are still great.  No black or covering on the outside but looking through them is still a joy.  I wish they still made the 6X25's; I liked them better than the 7X26.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 16:56
The originals were excellent bino's. Mine are stamped B&L.

Edited by Roy Finn - March/07/2008 at 16:57
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 19:24
I am going to have to pick one of these up. I have owned several good quality compacts in the past and just cannot get past how uncomfortable they feel in my hands or how difficult they are to use from a comfort/alignment perspective. Possibly the reverse porro design and this specific configuration will prove easier for me...on both counts.

Eventually......Wink
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic