OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for a Marlin 1895G?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcgrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for a Marlin 1895G?
    Posted: February/05/2008 at 22:32
Looking for advice on getting a scope for my Marlin 1895G with 18.5inch barrel? Going with XS Sights mount! Anyone have a set up they are using that works well with this type of rifle? Thanks!

Grunt Out!
Semper Fi!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 23:06
The Squeezer likes Weaver's nifty little V3 1-3.

take em!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 00:28
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

The Squeezer likes Weaver's nifty little V3 1-3.

................................You are correct! That`s because the Elite 4200`s are NA in a lower powered, straight tubed 1" scope!! Dammit!Head%20Banger..............Good! Like me, another handy short barreled blaster lover!..........................The little 1x3 Weaver V3 will probably be my choice for my 375 Ruger Howa when it arrives later this year. On another site, V3 owners are giving this scope great reviews; mostly all with a best rating of 5 stars.........The reviews say this scope is sitting on hard kicking Marlins like yours, big 375`s and  416 mags, other small handy carbines, a 350 Remmy mag. and so on!. They report great clarity with superb FOV`s, comparing the V3 to the Leupy VX2`s & 3`s. One stated that there was more light with his new Weaver V3 than with his Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX3! Another stated that it compared well to his Monarch Gold???!!! Geeees!..............Set on 1x, the V3 allows you to aim with both eyes open for extremely quick target acquisition (like a conventionally mounted scout scope) with a great FOV. Your carbine is fast handling! You should keep it that way with the right scope!.................Now! You will get some flack from others here, that you shouldn`t  mount any scope on your carbine!! They may have a good point if your targets are less than say 75 yards away most of the time. But! Using the new Hornady Leverevolution ammo, will extend the hunting range of your carbine! So why not have it both ways; a scope on or off!...............I have looked through the 2x7 Weaver V7 and was very impressed. The V3 is no different; same series! It uses fully-multicoated optics, made in Japan (NOT CHINA), is extremely rugged and will handle the recoil................ Many Weaver handgun scopes built like the V3 are also used on the most powerful big-bored handguns, including the vicious .454 Casull. My friend has a Ruger .454 with a Weaver variable sitting on it! No problems after hundreds of rounds of hot loads! I can personally attest to about 200 of them!! WHAT FUN!.................For about $150 bucks, this scope is an outstanding buy! As one who commented in the reviews; "don`t let the low price fool you!".............................Thank you for your service!.......Marching...................Good luck!  

usmcgrunt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcgrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 18:16
Thanks! Just what I was looking for and for the price Im gonna just on it quick! Just wondering is anyone using a illuminated reticle scope on any of their big bore rifles?

Grunt Out!
Semper Fi!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 19:16
Originally posted by usmcgrunt usmcgrunt wrote:

Thanks! Just what I was looking for and for the price Im gonna just on it quick! Just wondering is anyone using a illuminated reticle scope on any of their big bore rifles?

Grunt Out!
.........................I can`t comment on using an illuminated reticle because I don`t own one, but have used them........But if you`re thinking about exploring that possibility, be prepared to fork out alot more buckos!!............ How about $579 for a 1.25 or 1.5-5x20 Leupy VX3; 30mm tube......Almost $600 for a 1.25-4x24 Trijicon ( a great quick acquisition scope BTW) with a 1" tube..... Weaver makes their Classic Extreme low powered variable illuminated for about $429 with a 30mm tube..........An Elite 4200 low powered variable illuminated w/30mm tube is over $400................Also, when you use an illuminated scope in these lower powered variables, the weight goes up; in some cases almost double! They certainly have their advantages though when it comes to extreme low light or in the dark hunting conditions! But! That is their only advantage.........If you hunt alot or the majority of the time under those conditions, then spend some more money! If you don`t, then stick with a lower priced non-illuminated variable!.............. 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 19:20

Grunt Out!

I will have one very soon on a Ruger #1 in 45-70. I will let you know.

usmcgrunt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcgrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 19:22

Hot Damn! Getting all the info I need right here in this thread! Thanks Squeeze! Much appreciated!

Grunt Out!
Semper Fi!
usmcgrunt View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcgrunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 20:59
What about the Millet 1-4X24 DMS? Illuminated and only $199.95!

Grunt Out!
Semper Fi!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 01:35

What about the Millet 1-4X24 DMS? Illuminated and only $199.95!

Grunt Out!
....................................I have not looked through that one, so I can`t make a comment of the Millets..........Ya know! You may want to REALLY consider that 1.5-4.5x20 Nikon Monarch UCC that is on sale right now for $139 on this site!!! On other sites, you`ll find a price of $259 for that same identical scope!...............I am awaiting a guinea pig report;;; OOOPS;;; I meant FIELD report from another poster on another site who ordered the 1x3 Weaver Classic V3 for his compact Remy Model 7; 350 Rem. Mag..... Based on his report, hopefully to read this week, I`ll make the decision between the 1x3 Weaver V3 or the above Nikon for my Howa .375 Ruger coming later this year!................I`m sure that someone on here has some experience with the Millets. But my gutt feeling thinks that the little Weaver V3 will have equal or even better quality glass than the Millet!.....................
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 19:58
I just got one
I have a few marlins and I REALLY like the Leupold scout scope setup for a lever action
I am taking the almost new VX3 1.5-5x20 off of one of them and putting on another scout scope..
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 22:25
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I just got one
I have a few marlins and I REALLY like the Leupold scout scope setup for a lever action
I am taking the almost new VX3 1.5-5x20 off of one of them and putting on another scout scope..
........................Don`t know if USMCgrunt wants a conventional scope set up or the forward on the barrel scout set up!...............If the scout, the Leupold FX2 mentioned by ccoker above or the Burris 2.75x scout are excellent choices. I have the Nikon Monarch UCC 2.5-8x28, that I use as a scout scope for my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier. Not the right scope for an 18.5" barreled Marlin Guide gun, but the scout set up on the Marlins are a great, quick to target set up!................The Weaver Classic V3 or the Nikon 1.5-4.5x20 are for conventional mounts!....................Ccoker! What didn`t you like about your new VX3 on your Marlin?  
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2008 at 23:59
nothing wrong with the scope... just really like the scout setup on the lever action
as I don't really have a need for the low powered scope, it's up for sale
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 00:06

nothing wrong with the scope... just really like the scout setup on the lever action
as I don't really have a need for the low powered scope, it's up for sale
..............................No other rifle to put it on?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 09:57
I think an aimpoint would be perfect on one of the 1895 Marlins I  have had an aimpoint on a slug gun with good hunting success, and I have been looking at the Marlins with that wish I had one look but I dont own one yet, but there is still hope.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 10:19
no need for it
have more scopes than sense right now :)

I too think an aimpoint would be great on one
the compact 2MOA would be great
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 01:20
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

I just got one
........................Don`t know if USMCgrunt wants a conventional scope set up or the forward on the barrel scout set up!...............If the scout, the Leupold FX2 mentioned by ccoker above or the Burris 2.75x scout are excellent choices. I have the Nikon Monarch UCC 2.5-8x28, that I use as a scout scope for my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier. Not the right scope for an 18.5" barreled Marlin Guide gun, but the scout set up on the Marlins are a great, quick to target set up!................The Weaver Classic V3 or the Nikon 1.5-4.5x20 are for conventional mounts!....................Ccoker! What didn`t you like about your new VX3 on your Marlin?  
...........................................Ccoker!..........................Read your 2/8/08 review on the competitor site regarding your new Leupold scout scope! You may or may not know this, but your rear ring should be at least 3/4" away from the front ocular bell. Too close to the bell may cause reticle damage according to Leupold..........
samspade View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samspade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 04:21
The scout setup is great if you like it. The Trijicon 1.25-4 is also a great lowlight closeup scope and has no need for batteries. http://www.swfa.com/pc-4424-227-trijicon-125-4x24-accu-point-rifle-scope.aspx
Any fixed 1-3x with a big post is a fail safe choice as well and lots of classic lymans, weavers, etc are available at reasonable prices on the worlds largest internet auction site.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 08:47
Originally posted by samspade samspade wrote:

The scout setup is great if you like it. The Trijicon 1.25-4 is also a great lowlight closeup scope and has no need for batteries. http://www.swfa.com/pc-4424-227-trijicon-125-4x24-accu-point-rifle-scope.aspx
Any fixed 1-3x with a big post is a fail safe choice as well and lots of classic lymans, weavers, etc are available at reasonable prices on the worlds largest internet auction site.
........................................For my 375 Ruger, I would have bought the Trij 1.24-4 as well, but there isn`t enough tube mounting length to move the scope forward or back for any eye relief flexibility. That damn front bell!! Offsetting rings are ugly!! Although do-able, the 3x9 Trij has too much magnification and is too big to suit me. IMO, a DGR looks more like a DGR with a straight tubed scope on it!................
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 09:28
what's a DGR again?
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 09:41
dangerous game rifle
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic