OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for newbie .270 wsm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpbama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for newbie .270 wsm
    Posted: November/15/2004 at 19:24

Hello all.   I just bought a remington 700 SPS synthetic in .270 wsm.  I need a decent scope in the $200-250 range.  I've noticed a lot of talk about the Burris FF2 and the Bushnell 3200 elite with firefly.  What's my best bet.  I don't know that the firefly reticle is all that important to me;  I just want a good scope that will last a while. 

Bpbama

Edited by bpbama
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 20:03

I think that those are the two best in that price range.  I am not crazy about them, but a lot of people like the Weaver Grand Slams.  You really wouldn't go wrong with any of the three.

ranburr 

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 20:56

If you hunt in an area where the low light benefits of the FireFly reticle and the Rainguard lens coatings would be of little use to you then I would go with the Burris FF2. As ranburr stated, either scope would be at the top of the ladder in that price range.

Edited by Roy Finn
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 20:58

whats a remington SPS 700??? ive seen the SPS 11-87 shotgun, but never a 700??? i would say the burris, i beleave its superior to the 3200.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 21:06

Special Purpose Synthetic. Plastic stock, matte blued barreled action w/ sights.

Wait a minute, did he say 270 WSM? That's a new one on me!

Edited by Roy Finn
bpbama View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpbama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 21:06

It's an ADL syn chambered for .270 wsm

http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700sps.htm

bpbama View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpbama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 21:07
Any other scopes that I should consider.  Leupold VX 1 or Weaver?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 21:10

thnaks Roy, and Bp, i looked all through remingtons website jsut the other day, and never saw it... must be going blind... or maybe im jsut loosing it... but anyways, it looks nice, i think the ADL synthetic is a nice gun, im contemplating one in 270 for clunking around in the woods with so i dont tear up my pretty wood stocks.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 21:18
Some of the guys at SWFA really like the Weaver Grand Slam. I have not had the chance to give a fair opinion on the Weaver. Could someone please tell me how one would decide to buy the VX-l over the Rifleman or vise versa?
bpbama View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bpbama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 21:24
Silly question.  On a matte black gun, should the scope be matte or silver?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 21:31

matte...lol... i think an all black scope, or a leupold golden ring look the best one them. the elite 4200, or conquest 3-9x40 would look sweet. the burris would be kool too.

Roy i have only looked through the rifleman, never used one, they look nice, but ive heard they are pretty low end scopes, and really show it, but its a leupold, so if anything happens, you have the warranty. but im not going to push my luck. the cheapest leupold im buying is the VXI, and i jsut ordered one for a B-day present.

cory

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 21:31
BM
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 21:33

BM?? sorry, im slow.

cory

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 23:03
Black matte.
jbbad View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbbad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 23:42
270 wsm is an excellent round for deer.  The nozzler partition round works excellent
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2004 at 16:13

thanks Roy, sometimes a dumby needs some explainging.

cory

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2004 at 11:21

bpbama,

I agree....If you don't think the rainguard and fire fly will benefit you then the Fullfield II 3-9x40 with the free spotter is the best deal.  If your emphasis is low light performance then you should go with the Grand Slam.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2004 at 11:29

"Could someone please tell me how one would decide to buy the VX-l over the Rifleman or vise versa? - Roy"

Good question.  Who the heck knows which Leupold is which anymore??  They keep changing everything around.  The Rifleman is the old Vari X-II and the VX-I is a slightly improved Vari X-II with 1/4 moa friction adjustments instead of 1/2 and the VX-I has what they call "Standard Multicoat Lens System" opposed to the Rifleman's "Fully Coated Lens System".  I don't know why anyone would buy a Rifleman over a VX-I.

Leupold VX-I 3-9x40.....$199.95

Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40.....$199.95

I think the Rifleman was kept around to sale to mass retailers like Wal-Mart because Leupold's profit margin on that model should be astronomical.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic