OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The Best Scope Caps?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 17:55
I tried fitting a set of Butler Creek caps on my Sightron Big Sky 1.5-5; the ocular on that scope did not work with the Butler Creek caps at all. I ended up using a set of Weaver Polar Caps. While the hinge release on the caps is similar, I like the material of the Polar Caps more (very flexible polymer / rubber as opposed to the more rigid plastic of the BC caps). YMMV
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 18:01
I'm with you goju, on the Polar Caps.  They also have an adjustment that reduces sunglare.
MOJO
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 19:08
Yeah Mojo I've did the ocular butler creek fit thing, except I did it for a buddy that had to have em' front and rear. I only use em' on the front myself. How do the polars adjust to prevent sunglare? Some kind of angle adjustment?

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 19:46
Focus:

The caps have an adjustment ring, just like the ocular focus ring on the scope itself.  You just turn one end cap ring and the color goes from totally clear to a light yellow color, that cuts the sun glare and brings things back into, well,  focus!

How did you ever fit the ocular end of the Conquest with the scope cap???

By the way, I'm glad we got "frankb" squared away, with that Conquest.
MOJO
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 07:11
I just measured it and bought the sizes on both sides of the measurment, it fit tight and gave him no problem. You do have to have the ocular focused before installing however. I notice butler creek offers the caps in yellow and clear but always prefered the clear myself, have tried both though. Yeah I think Frank will like the conquest, I've met very few people that have bought a conquest and been disappointed. Thats why there are few used ones being sold on the classifieds.

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 09:43
Mojo,
Just to update, UPS is scheduled to drop off the Zeiss Conquest this Thursday. Talk about all around service.
Chris Farris was great also in helping me out.
Frank
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2008 at 09:45
I was going to order the scope covers, but like others, I was thinking about going with the bikini cover. I have 4 sets of BC flip ups and like them, but I have an issue about focusing the eyepiece with the cover on!
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 19:33
If my fading memory serves me, you get an extra lens with the Polar Caps, so you can go to the yellowish color, or gray color.  It sure reduces the flash of the muzzle blast of my .277 calibre  O'Conner, as the 150gr. Nosler Partition is sent on its way, at last daylight, to a lethal rendezvous with yet another buck.  Of course, all of us cheeseheads already know that bullet placement is the key here.

I am happy to see that frankb got his scope, and it appears to be all that he hoped it would be.         
MOJO
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2008 at 20:14
The Weaver Polar Caps act like a polarizing filter on a camera.
samspade View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samspade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 04:12
Bikinis are foolproof. You take them off when hunting in normal weather. There is nothing to break, stab you in the eye or degrade the optics of your scope. If you hunt in the rain, a quick pull pops them off and they are cheap enough that if you can't find them after the shot, it's no big deal. Almost all other models reduce eye relief which can lead to "blood on the sand" (yours) or worse (like a red button in the eye).
Flip ups also freeze closed in wet/cold weather which can spoil your whole day if Mr Bear comes a callin'.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 07:45
Sam I couldn't disagree with you in every way more. Mine have never broken, theres nothing to stab you in the eye, they protect not degrade your optics, and they are much faster to deal with than the bikinis. They have also never frozen shut, don't think you are talking from experience :>) can only figure you use the bikinis because they are "foolproof". Interesting avatar however.....

Focus

Edited by Focus - February/15/2008 at 07:46

samspade View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samspade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 14:35
Nope no experience, killed my first deer in 1958. The red button on Butler Creeks protrudes nearly 1/2" behind the scope, that will stick you on an uphill shot with a hard kicker especially on the short eye relief variable scopes.. The see thru caps clearly degrade optical performance as they are not optical glass and even if they were, it's another layer of "look thru". Dip your Butlers in water and stick them in the freezer while misting them regularly (like Alaskan conditions) and tell me how well they open after 8 hours.Guarantee you I can rip off my Bikinis with a quarter inch of ice on them. Nothing wrong with foolproof that's why people shoot douuble rifles and controlled feed bolt actions rather than semi-autos when it has to work or you may be dead. Glad you like Madonna, she can be had.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 14:38
eh maine, alaska same thing
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
samspade View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samspade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 14:44
As we speak:
Nome -13F
Portland +37F
and Hillary Rod-em and Julie Roberts are also "the same".
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 14:50
hmm its -17 here right now
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Wrangler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 14:50
I wouldn't mind tagging Julia, but if it's a take all three or nothing deal FORGET IT
Naturally I would only tell my friends that I'd boffed Julia, and i wouldn't even give her my name.
I ain't wearing no danged Levis
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 16:07
Butler creeks are awesome caps.  I like bushwacker's too, the ones that came with my Kahles CL are awesome.  I like the way they fit better than the butler's, but I've used both and either will serve you well.
Robert
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 16:51
And Cowboy Bill thought this might be unanamous?  The see thru variety, whether bikini or not, are supposed to be used in situations in which there is no choice but to shoot with them on, or down.  The time it takes to rip off the bikini cover, or flip up the others, is the same amount of time for the game to see you do that, and disappear without you getting a shot.  There are drawbacks to both.  
MOJO
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 16:52
Best scope caps?  He!!, I don't know.  I've tried every design you can imagine, and the only real problem I've had with any of them is occasionally losing them.  I'd say the best scope caps are the ones you personally find least cumbersome to use, because all of them do the job they were intended to do.  I guess I probably like the bushwackers the best as well.  The pop-up covers don't have any protruding buttons and they are very thin, so the cap for the eyepiece doesn't protrude much beyond the eyepiece.  They aren't see-through, so I keep them flipped open while hunting and only close them when I'm transporting or storing the rifle.  They also grip the objective and ocular bells really well, way better than the Butler Creeks do, so they are much less likely to get pulled off the scope by accident.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2008 at 17:31
Sam....sam.....my butler creeks have no buttons to hit or stab as mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, I use the blizzard see thru flip ups, nothing to poke you in the eye with. The jobs with the red buttons you can't see thru....:>). I'd rather look thru another lens than into black anyday. I can raise and shoot while you're "popping" your "fool proofs" quicker every single time....thats why I use them. Only takes 32 degrees to freeze water so don't matter if its Maine or Nome ;>) No frozen flip up's yet but maybe ain't hit the right conditions in the last 20 years or so....I'll keep trying.....you just never know. I like bikinis on shapely young ladies not my scope.... You have a good one and don't let that Florida sun cook your brain too bad......

Focus

Edited by Focus - February/15/2008 at 19:11

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic