OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The Best Scope Caps?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Best Scope Caps?
    Posted: February/05/2008 at 14:14
I am looking for any opinions on what people are using and like in regards to scope Caps.   I just bought a 3-9X40 Zeiss Conquest, and I am looking for reliable easy to use caps to go along with it.  What are your thoughts on the flip up vs the removable ones?  Has anyone ever had any problems with the flip up ones not working or obstructing your view?  Thanks in advance for any input.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 14:21
Hey slick, I'm partial to the butler creek flip ups that are see thru. They come with yellow and clear lenses, I prefer the clear ones. That way if in a real hurry you can shoot without even flipping.....they protect the lenses and keep all the junk off them that seems to get on them in the woods hunting. They also are great for rain and snow......

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 14:27
+1 for butler creek flip ups
Brock_Brett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brock_Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 14:27
Ya, What Focus said.

The caps that are solid black are almost useless, you can us slip on caps for what they do.

Rob
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 14:30
i agree guys until the yellow plastic button breaks then you have to open then yourself, but they are still good ones
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Slick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 14:30

Thanks Focus, those were actually the ones I was looking at, but I did not want to bias the discussion. Thanks again for your input!!

Slick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 14:31
wow you guys are quick, thanks to everyone!!
Slick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 14:32
Wow you guys are quick, before I finished my response to Focus I had 2 more...  Thanks to everyone!!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 15:31
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i agree guys until the yellow plastic button breaks then you have to open then yourself, but they are still good ones

Actually I use the ones without any buttons or tabs to press. The ones I described simply have bulges on each side in the plastic that you brush by with your hand.

Focus

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
CowboyBill View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CowboyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 15:46
Butler Creek, it's gonna be unanimous, this is one thing we all agree on, I think.
A horse may be an outdated mode of transportation, but you don't buy hay by the gallon.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 15:57
I use the Butler Creek black flip ups and the Bikini. The flip ups have never caused me a problem and I don't buy good glass to cover it with plastic to look through.
The Bikini is cheap and works faster than the the factory covers.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 16:02
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I use the Butler Creek black flip ups and the Bikini. The flip ups have never caused me a problem and I don't buy good glass to cover it with plastic to look through.The Bikini is cheap and works faster than the the factory covers.

Only problem I see there tahqua is sometimes there just isn't time to deal with flipping caps when the buck is suddenly right there and about to be gone in seconds. looking thru the clear lens in an split second situation beats messing with the black caps and loosing the shot. I started with a pair of black flip ups and learned to buy the clears after an experience.

Focus

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 16:03
I just leave mine open when I am actually in the field, either that or take them off.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CowboyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 16:39
I carry a pistol, so if needed I can get off a quick shot. When I get to my stand, I flip the covers and they stay that way until I start back.
A horse may be an outdated mode of transportation, but you don't buy hay by the gallon.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CowboyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 16:41
Unless I'm stalking, that is. Then I am generally hunting the ranges, and flipping the caps isn't much of an issue then.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 21:11
Originally posted by Focus Focus wrote:

Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I use the Butler Creek black flip ups and the Bikini. The flip ups have never caused me a problem and I don't buy good glass to cover it with plastic to look through.The Bikini is cheap and works faster than the the factory covers.

Only problem I see there tahqua is sometimes there just isn't time to deal with flipping caps when the buck is suddenly right there and about to be gone in seconds. looking thru the clear lens in an split second situation beats messing with the black caps and loosing the shot. I started with a pair of black flip ups and learned to buy the clears after an experience.

Focus

I can see that point.
If I am in a snow storm any exposed, see through, surface is a mess, anyway. Ditto the rain. I usually have mine flipped open otherwise.

Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 11:50
I suggest that you please look closely at your Conquest.  The ocular adjustment piece is a bit larger in diameter than the scope tube, and you may have trouble with a good fit with Butler Creek type caps.  This leaves you with bikini type covers as an alternative.  They are available from Zeiss and probably lots of other places. 

As far as scope covers in general, I use the Weaver/Ramline  see through covers, as they are light, and are adjustable for glare.  The trade off there, is that the yellow release button  can break off under rough handling.  Good Luck! 

MOJO
Treestand56 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treestand56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 20:47
Butler Creek Clear
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 05:44
You can get an excellent fit with the butler creek caps on the conquests.

Focus

Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2008 at 17:37
Focus:

If anybody knew if Butler Creeks' would fit okay, .....that would be you!
MOJO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic