OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

simple choice ..... Leupold or Nikon ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new pig hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: simple choice ..... Leupold or Nikon ?
    Posted: November/15/2004 at 18:37

I'm a new poster here......

A simple choice for mounting on a Howa 1500, .30-06

Leupold Vari-X II, 3-9x40  or  Nikon Monarch, 3-9x40.

Your opinion(s) of the best, toughest, most reliable ..... one scope for the next 30 years.....

Cheers and Thanks,

Carl

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 18:43
Nikon Monarch..
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 20:01

Nikon Monarch.

ranburr

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 20:03
I'll third that motion if I may.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 20:56

toughest, and most reliable.. hmmm, im going to have to say the leupold... monarch's havnt proven to me to be all that tough a scope, the tubes bend pretty easily, a little bump is all it takes.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
new pig hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new pig hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2004 at 11:59

yer killin' me .... Wow, not what I "expected" ..... I figured Leupold would get the nod, hands-down......

and just when I thought it was safe to jump feet-first-forever into the Leupold pool.....

In all seriousness, I'd best take yet another look at the Nikon Monarch ....

I appreciate the insight.

Cheers,

Carl

p.s.  found this Leupold on special:

http://www.bearbasin.com/catalog.htm#tact_scopes

VX-II 3-9X 40mm Matte Dplx (Tactical w/ Target Knobs)

LEU54070 -SPECIAL- $359 $269

Edited by new pig hunter
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2004 at 16:11

if your going to buy from (competitor), even though this is an SWFA forum, step up to the 3.5-10x40 VX-III with duplex, and target knobs for $379. and remember, those are both going to be last years models. in other words, the VXII your looking at form there isnt going to be as clear as the new for 04' VXII, and same with the VXIII.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new pig hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2004 at 10:21

To All,

no disrespect intended by naming a competitor..... actually, I've lurked here for 3 days and didn't know this to be an SWFA Forum.  My sincere apologies if I've given offense.

Personally, my life has become more complicated because I'm now reading other posts (and other websites) about the Bushnell Elite 4200 .... and that it is "the best."  My pal in TX knows alot about scopes and told me late last night that the 4200 is,  "...the finest scope I've ever used, hands down the absolutest-finest."

So I'd like to expand the "simple" choice to add a 3rd:

Leupold Vari-X-II ..... Nikon Monarch ...... Bushnell Elite 4200

and just to say it:  I'm 99% decided on Leupold for the simple choice reason of "customer service."  I'll take a less-spectacular spec sheet to get what I've read is Leupold's no-nonsense no-messing-around customer service policy.

I appreciate the help and insight.

Cheers,

Carl

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2004 at 13:07

the 4200 would be the best of the three.

ranburr

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2004 at 16:23

4200 hands down, and remember, SWFA will match and beat any price. if your willing to spend a little more money, you can get the zeiss conquest 3-9x40 for 430, but i beleave the conquest, and elite are equal, and couldnt pick one of the other, im not saying this to keep from starting a controversy between ranburr and Roy, but becuase its true, and these scopes are THE BEST bang for the buck.

cory

Doors0311 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doors0311 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2004 at 15:55

NPH,

I am also new to posting on this sight and have yet to earn any credability. I will tell you what I found when searching for a scope.

My financing was set at about two hundred bucks. I looked through Leupold M8 fixed four power.

Nikon buckmaster 3-9x40 (one step down from the Monarch)

Leupold VXII and III

These were to two that were going to best fit my needs and price point at the time. Although I also looked through several other makes like burris and bushnell. I focused on the Nikon and The Leupold based on good remarks on forums.

After all was said and done I went with the Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 in matte finish. it cost less and it performed just as well as the leupold. (to the naked eye)

This season I took a 3x3 buck in the early morning hours during heavy snow under thick forest conditions. The scope was soaking wet  and did not fog. My shot was uphill from standing position at about 100 yrds. The  sight picture was clear and bright. I also looked through the Monarch and would have baught it but did not want to part with the cash.

My Buckmaster ran about 185.00 and i have outfitted my wife and father-in-law with one as well.

Long story short, Decide how much you want to spend and test out scopes in your local shop.Happy Hunting

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new pig hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2004 at 15:38

doors0311,

informative post, Thank You !! 

but I've got it figured out, at least for now.  My pal up north is headed to a gun show this weekend with $200 of mine in his pocket.  He reported that two weeks ago there were "acres" of Leupold's.  So his explicit instructions for tomorrow are:

Choice #1:  Bushnell Elite 4200

Choice #2:  some kind of Leupold VX-II  or  VX-III

max price pain threshold is $200 tops on the 4200 but I don't expect he will find one for that.

max price pain threshold is $150 on a Leupold, so I reckon that's what he will find.

can't lose either way, as I see it.

Cheers,

Carl

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic