OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

? 's for the Savage people

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? 's for the Savage people
    Posted: February/04/2008 at 18:40
  I have a few questions for the savage builders. I have a ss model 16 in 204 and i have some thoughts about a project. Savage's sound fairly easy for someone who isn't a gunsmith. Thinking about building a 260.
   1. Can you buy the piece and change the bolt face to accomadate a larger case?
   2. Where can you buy a good barrel for a savage?
   3. Can you get a barrel that is chambered and finished ready to screw on?
  Thanks ahead of time.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 18:43
1. are they the same length of action??
2.any barrel outfit should be able to match it up
3.yes depending on who makes the barrel, lilja for instance doesnt thread there barrels
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
OLRVRAT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 19:08
 Yes both short actions
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 20:24
but the head diameters are different, so you will need a new bolt head in a .308 diamer
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
OLRVRAT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 20:30
 That is correct. On a savage bolt it looks as if you can change the bolt face, but i'm not sure.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 20:32
i know m-i-d-w-a-y sells savage bolt parts thats where i got the info. question is which models are the parts good for cause it doesnt say in the catalog
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Brooks View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brooks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 20:52
I recommend you check out the blog:

http://www.savageshooters.com/index.php

They have tons of info to answer your question.
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 20:57
Your model 16 is a short action, so parts for all 2 digit Savages will fit, i.e. models 10, 11, 12, 16, etc.  Long actions use 3 digits, 110, 111, 112, etc.

Bolt head change is easily done.  Don't forget to but new extractor and ejector parts too if you don't want to swap those parts every time.  The competitor you mentioned sells the bolt head, so does Brownells. 

Here is a RH bolt head for a 308 case

Here it is in LH

Barrel's can be bought pre-chambered and threaded from lots of places, both distributors and manufacturers.  Sharp Shooter Supply, Pacnor, Shilen, Lothar Walther, the competitor you previously mentioned, Brownells, Numrich, etc.  Prices range from about $100 to about $375ish or a tad more, depending on material, length, finish, etc.

Here is a Shilen Stainless barrel in stock for $274 at the competitor you mentioned

No special tools required for bolt head changes.  A few are however for changing the barrel, unless you really want to Bubba it.  At a minimum you should buy a barrel nut wrench like this

This is a useful tool

But this would do in a pinch

Some guys have made their own barrel vises and action wrenches.  Some guys have also used an air chisel to remove the barrel nut.  This of course diminishes the rifles collector value if not replaced :)

Don't forget to get one of these

And one of these too

Again, some guys have used other methods to set headspace, but its your eyes hands and life so pick a method that makes you feel comfortable

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.  Pics are a bonus!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 21:02
and none of those links will work because i bet they are from m-i-d-w-a-y usa too right
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
OLRVRAT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 21:31
 Thanks for all the info.
 I"ll go to the competitors web site and check it out. I used to have their catolog around here.  I'll check the savageshooters also.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 21:34
Originally posted by OLRVRAT OLRVRAT wrote:

I have a few questions for the savage builders. I have a ss model 16 in 204 and i have some thoughts about a project. Savage's sound fairly easy for someone who isn't a gunsmith. Thinking about building a 260.
   1. Can you buy the piece and change the bolt face to accomadate a larger case?
   2. Where can you buy a good barrel for a savage?
   3. Can you get a barrel that is chambered and finished ready to screw on?
  Thanks ahead of time.

1.  Yes... to an extent.  Magazine box size has to be compatible as well.
2.  Sharp Shooter Supply http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/
3.  Yes, from Sharp Shooter Supply.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 21:43
I understand the reasoning behind the word switch, and think SWFA is within their right to do so. 

Besides, who in their right mind would buy optics from them anyway?  They can't touch SWFA with a ten foot pole
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 06:40
Everything that you want to do can be done with fairly common tools.
The bolt faces are easily changed out, the barrel is easily changed and headspaced due to the barrel nut, the most difficult task is changing the mag well when it is necessary, but that too can be achieved fairly easily.
These are the reasons why I love Savage. Well accuracy ranks above that, but with Savage that's pretty much a given.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 08:01
Same magazine for both cartridges, you can change your own bolt face or a local gunsmith can do the job in minutes. Barrel swaps are easy but best done with an action vice and barrel nut wrench. You can headspace off a sized piece of brass from your dies or a no go guage. Barrels are easy too if you stay with SSS or shilen/lothar walther. Caution it can be addicting once you see how easy it is to build your own custom savage right at home with some simple and inexpensive tools. Accuracy is a big advantage with the savages, the floating bolt head and the easy to headspace barrels make under MOA a pretty simple task. Having several barrels that you can swap out at home in under 20 minutes is another big plus for a switch barrel gun. I'm building a 260 right now, soon as my barrel arrives from lothar walther and the stock makes it here the build will take a couple hours total.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic