OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for FN PBR XP?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoJAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for FN PBR XP?
    Posted: February/04/2008 at 15:34
I am going to buy an FN PBR XP (20" barrel) in .308.  I need to buy a scope for it and was wondering if I could get your input. 

I would like a scope that has dimensions along the lines of 4-12x50.  I would really like for it to have a .308 bullet drop compensator as well.  The rifle's purpose will be 1-2 MOA shot placement out to 300 yards, sometimes as far as 500 yards. 

The qualities I want in the scope (in order of importance) are:
1. Durability and sturdiness
2. Optical and mechanical quality
3. Customer service / warranty

I've owned several Leupold VX2s, VX3s, Sightron SII Big Skys, and Bausch and Lomb 4200 Elite scopes, which I thought were all good scopes.  I'm willing to move up the food chain to get what I need.  Any ideas or suggestions?

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 22:27
budget range? hunting rifle? getting ready for ww3???
GeoJAP View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoJAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 08:32
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

budget range? hunting rifle? getting ready for ww3???

I could justify spending up to $1000 on this scope, but I have never been one to spend money unneccessarily if a more inexpensive product will fit my requirements or do the job better.

I'm in the process of consolidating my firearms' collection from several dozen C&Rs and modern semi-autos to a smaller set which will cover my family's needs in the future.   This rifle will need to do everything when a scoped, bolt action, high-powered rifle is required.  That includes hunting, self-defense, etc. 

After looking through SWFAs catalog at some scope lines that I'm not yet so familiar with (IORs, Khales, Zeiss), the Super Sniper 10x42 seems to be an overall good choice.  It has a reputation from several users' experiences for durability.  The mil dot reticle allows for bullet drop calculation. 

Any other opinions is more than welcome.  I like to listen to what others think and evaluate it when I'm researching stuff like this, before I make my decision.  Thanks.  Smile
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 09:22
I can speak and recommend the Elite 4200, Zeiss Conquest and Trijicon. The Trijicon is new and I have only been playing with it for a week now, but It has proven to be everything as advertised and recommended by some people from here. A friend of mine has the SS 10x and he really likes it. I don't think you could go wrong with anything on your list it's just going to be a personally preference at this point. How much do you really want to spend?
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 09:33
Both of these are really good scopes, IOR optics are quality and are very hard to beat for the price range they fit in. 
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10156-292-ior-25-10x42-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12303-292-ior-4-14x50-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx
Same scope different knobs
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10180-292-ior-4-14x50-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

Or if you are willing to spend a little more, this is one of the best tactical scopes available for its price range, it is a fantastic scope. 
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10168-292-ior-3-18x42-tactical-35mm-rifle-scope.aspx
Some folks will dog on IOR customer service because of issues in the past, but lately they have a new guy in charge in Colorado and he is doing a great job.  I stripped out one of my rings not paying attention a while back and I called and asked them if I could get a new pin bolt and nut for it.  They told me to send it in and they would change it out for me, 4 days from when I sent it I had a brand new ring at my house, no charge. 

People who have them really like the Super Sniper, but it will be lacking in the hunting department because of its fixed high power.  Very seldom will you need 10x for hunting, most of the time 3x-5x is what is needed for hunting.  If you need to make any close shots good luck with a 10x scope.

There are lots of other cheaper options for scopes, but if you want a good tactical/precision rifle scope be prepared to spend a good chunk of change.  $1000 is just the bottom end of a good precision rifle scope.  For your requirements I think the IOR 2.5-10x would be a great choice.
Also if 300 yards and under is most of your shooting you could just go with a hunting style scope, it would work great.  Zeiss Conquest is a favorite here on this site. 
There is also the new Bushnell 6500, 2.5-16x.  I am going to be buying one of those soon for an AR build, it has everything I want on a scope, Low low end, a good high end, mildot reticle, return to zero target type turrets, and good glass.  I think it is going to be tough to beat for its price.
Anyway good luck.

Edited by supertool73 - February/05/2008 at 09:37
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 12:33
Easy Day...SS 10x.  That is what is mounted on mine.
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
GeoJAP View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoJAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 15:17
Thanks for the opinions guys.  I ordered my PBR XP (20" fluted barrel) yesterday from Buds Gun Shop.  I ended up going with this scope:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10156-292-ior-25-10x42-tactical-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

IOR 2.5-10x42 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope

It really was a toss up for me between this IOR and the Super Sniper 10x42.  Both seemed like good scopes for the money, it just depended if I wanted to spend more on the IOR to get the better glass.  I ended up going with the IOR.  If the glass is as clear as everyone says it is, this scope should work very, very well.  Thanks again for the help.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2008 at 15:20
i think you will be happy all the ior owners i know here love theres
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GeoJAP View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeoJAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 14:10
Here she is.  Thanks for the help guys.  I have yet to print her on paper, but I'll get to it soon.

http://www.codemonkeyx.com/images/FNPBR1.jpg
http://www.codemonkeyx.com/images/FNPBR2.jpg
http://www.codemonkeyx.com/images/FNPBR3.jpg

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 14:15

Good looking rig.  Let us know how it shoots. Thunbs%20Up

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic