OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sightron,Burris,Nikon,Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 Pick 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron,Burris,Nikon,Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 Pick 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reloader243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron,Burris,Nikon,Bushnell 4200 6-24x50 Pick 1
    Posted: February/04/2008 at 11:02
Ok, this selecting scopes is tough for a beginner to F-class , F T/R. I've been looking at the 6-24x50 scopes in Nikon Monarch, Burris BD and SSelect,Sightron Long Range SIII 6-24x56,and Bushnell 4200 . The MOA adjust is not an issue with the mounts and rings available...So from about $550-$750 where do I go and why...if you own or sell them...give me your views as a variable power target scope. I have access to a Leupold 35x comp, but I don't want a fixed power scope. AND, I'm just not a Luppy type guy... I can have the luppy for 600 , it's like new, just don't like fixed power. Bushnell 6500 just does not excite me as a big improvement over a 4200 for my use.Loco goin' goofy over this..decision thing.  .....Someone from SWFA,or Optic Zone....etc... has some real thoughts....??   Bend my ear. ANYONE with Usage of any What's the good bad , and Ugly ?
"Hitting it the 1st shot is gun control"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 14:45
Originally posted by reloader243 reloader243 wrote:

Ok, this selecting scopes is tough for a beginner to F-class , F T/R. I've been looking at the 6-24x50 scopes in Nikon Monarch, Burris BD and SSelect,Sightron Long Range SIII 6-24x56,and Bushnell 4200 . The MOA adjust is not an issue with the mounts and rings available...So from about $550-$750 where do I go and why...if you own or sell them...give me your views as a variable power target scope. I have access to a Leupold 35x comp, but I don't want a fixed power scope. AND, I'm just not a Luppy type guy... I can have the luppy for 600 , it's like new, just don't like fixed power. Bushnell 6500 just does not excite me as a big improvement over a 4200 for my use.Loco goin' goofy over this..decision thing.  .....Someone from SWFA,or Optic Zone....etc... has some real thoughts....??   Bend my ear. ANYONE with Usage of any What's the good bad , and Ugly ?
.................................................................Yep! One can certainly go goofy as to which one to pick. The above choices you list above are obviously for target and/or for long range varmit use! Either one would certainly be an excellent choice IMO..........I have the 3x9 Elite 4200 which is on again, then off again (scout or conventional mount), on a 300 WSM Frontier compact........... As many would agree, the 4200 is a great scope and perhaps the best scope for the buck on the market. I have looked through the Monarchs, the Sightrons, Burris` and more. IMO, your above choices will all come very very close optically to each other. There is even the possibility that if you could line them all up, you wouldn`t be able to tell or see too much of a difference!! In this case, you can knock your brains loose trying to split some hairs here??!! And, you are not going to find a dealer with ALL of these in stock either! Highly unlikely!!...............Do the `ol Ben Franklin routine! Take a piece of paper for each scope, draw a line down the middle, seperate and list the pros and cons of each..........On the 4200`s sheet for example, on the pro side, is its proven Rainguard that others are trying to duplicate, while on the con side is its somewhat shorter eye relief, which shouldn`t matter too much (I`ve used my 4200 on a .375 Ruger)!......................Do that for all your choices, then prioritize the pros that suit you best! Whichever has the most pros, buy that scope!!.............Make Benny proud!!!   Thunbs%20Up   
reloader243 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reloader243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 17:12
Hey....Thank you Big Squeeze....I'm just wafflein' about a scope, your approach seems to make more sense than what I'm doing right now....which isn't getting any decision made. I think I better do as you said and put it down on paper in front of me, and choose. I think most of the mfgr's warranties are pretty much the same, The reticle I'd prefer is a fch..or fine duplex type, don't like dots...too big a dot in most. I've got all 1" rings,so I think unless there is a real advantage to a 30mm tube, I'll stick with the 1". Probably end up flipin' a coin at the rate I'm going. That new Sightron LR series SIII 6-24x56 has me mumbling now, cause I'd just about made up my mind on the Nikon Monarch 6-24x50.....hopeless in New Berlin....lol
"Hitting it the 1st shot is gun control"
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 07:12
 "pros and cons"----sounds like hookers and ex-felons ....

Actually a great idea--but I'd lean towards the 4200 for the rainguard, cause the scopes you've picked out will all be really close optically.

Edited by martin3175 - February/05/2008 at 07:17
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2008 at 12:56
I am going to go with the 6-24x50 fine crosshairs with dot for my 204 ruger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic