OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

simmons pro hunter or whitetail classic?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote argyleboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: simmons pro hunter or whitetail classic?
    Posted: February/03/2008 at 19:31
 I've been looking at a new scope for my 270. I've been looking at the simmons pro hunter and simmons whitetail classic. Which one is better?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 13:21
                    argyleboy,if these are the two scopes your interested in,I can only tell you about the Prohunter Master Series. I read a test/review on the then new Prohunter  M.S. scopes (3x9) back in Nov.2005. Basically it was put through a typical testing procedure which included being mounted and shot on a 7 1/2lb. .338 Win. Mag.  Tester was impressed enough that he bought one,still has it,and uses it on various rifles. I now have a 2x7 Prohunter M.S. scope(after a 1 1/2 yr. wait). Have it mounted on a 7lb.10oz. (with scope).300 mag. but ,due to recovering from surgery,haven't had a chance to test it. I can tell you it is light wt.(13ozs. w/1 Butler Creek lens cover and Leupold vertical rings),gives good images at all magnifications,but I'm most impressed so far with its eye relief which is every bit as good as my 3.5-10 Leupold. 
                     There are better scopes out there of course for a higher price,but the article also said there was not a better scope out there(of course at that time)for the money and that it was better than alot of other scopes. Hope this info was of help.

til later 
Lawnfella View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawnfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 14:34

I had an older Simmons that I believe was a Whitetail Classic on a 50 cal muzzleoader at one time that came apart in about 10 shots. Something went wrong internally and it was shotting about a 12 inch group. After that I always buy the best possible scope that I can afford. In my opinion your scope is more important than the gun you put it on in most cases.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 15:19
the old white tail classic is a pretty good scope acutally, per chris farris.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tykemp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tykemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 22:30
My WTC, the 6.5-20x version that is always on sale at competitor , has been excellent.  It focuses down very close, and even after a fall while hunting that ended up in me slamming the scope and gun on some rocks, knocking the AO ring off kilter and denting the tube, the scope held zero and works fine. (The fall tore my MCL too!)
The crosshairs are not a thin varmint type crosshair, and the view was unusable past around 700 yards Pdog hunting, but I attribute this to mirage.  A friends Burris Signature select had trouble at the same range at 14x.
*45-70er*
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic