OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help with Binoculars purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with Binoculars purchase
    Posted: February/03/2008 at 14:19

I have only posted a couple of times. However, I always come to the forum to see what you guys say is the best equipment. I am about to purchase a new set of binoculars. They will be used mainly for bow hunting
whitetail and turkey. I have kind of narrowed my selection between the Bushnell Elite 10x43, Brunton Epoch
10.5x43, and the Minox HG 10x43. I believe I have the last set of numbers right on the three. Anyway,
if anyone can help, that would be fantastic. I am really looking for good in low light and clear.

Thanks to everyone.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 10:23
I only have experience with the 10x43 Elite so; I can't comment on the others.  The Elite however, is exceptionally bright, and clear.  It is also very small (for a full size binocular) and light. It does show some mild chromatic abberation though, not more than other binoculars in its class.  I like the Elite alot - even better than many higher priced offerings.

The one part where I think Bushnell really missed is with their diopter adjustment. It is basically just a ring set in front of the focus wheel with a little knob on it.  If you've seen the Bushnell Discoverer (roof prism), it is the same deal.  The Elite's has a "locking" mechanism that is supposed to keep it from being knocked off its setting but, it doesn't work all that well. Stuff your binocular down a jacket or in a bag or whatever and this ring can be bumped off its setting without much difficulty. 
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 11:08
When I bought my pair of 10x-42 I compared the Bushnells to the ones I got which were the Meopta 10x-42 and in my opinion the Meopta's are much clearer and brighter.  When I got them I took 7 different brands/models outside at Cabelas and the only ones that I though looked better than the Meopta's where the Swaro SLC's.  And it was such a little bit better that it did not make up for the cost difference.  If you can get to a store and check them out, they are top notch bino's.  I compaired them against Leupold golden ring, Steiner peregrin, Swaro SLC, Leica (trinovid and Ultravid, Bushnell Elite.  

I was using mine on the deer and elk hunting this year while it was still dark and could easily make out deer and elk in just the moonlight.  The elk where probably about 150 yards away and the deer about 100.  I could even make out a couple spike bulls, I will say I have really good eye sight and good night vision.  But the Meopt's did not appear to hamper my good eye sight in any way.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 07:27
I was in the same boat when I was looking for binoculars.  I tried Bushnell Elite's 8x42, Meopta 8x42, Swarovski SLC 7x42, Leica, Trivoids 7x42 and 8x42, and Leupold Gold Ring.  The Leupolds just weren't that clear and bright to me so I rulled them out.  I liked the size and weight of the Bushnell Elite's but in the same price range the Meopta 8 x 42 were alot clearer, brighter and more confortable for my eyes.  The Leica Trivoids just didn't feel good in my hands they were kind of a blocky feel.  I really liked the view thru the Swarovski SLC's and the 7x power was perfect for my eyes.  Although the Meopta ran a close second for me.  The main reason that I went for the Swarovski's over the Meopta was their customer service which is the best in the business and I knew that Swarovski was one of the top three Optic's manufactures in the business.  So I decided to go ahead and get the best I could buy so I want have to worry about replacing them for many years to come.  Best of luck in your search.  I would definately go to competitor , Bass Pro Sho, Gander Mountain, or any other sporting good store to try out as many brands as you can before you purchase.  Different binoculars fit differently to everyones eyes and confort of fit in the hands.  Good luck!  bird_hunter66 
Birdhunter
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 10:23
The only 10x40's I've used are Zeiss and I don't think they are bright enough for low light in cover. I have used the 10x40 Zeiss side by side with 7x42 Zeiss.  A good 7 or 8x42 will give you better low light performance.
If you aren't hunting in heavy cover with low light the 10x40's should be fine. I have recently used some Vortex Razors and found them to be very good. They make a nice pair of 10x42's.
ridurall View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ridurall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2008 at 17:27
I don't know if you've made a purchase yet but I've got the Brunton Epochs and I think they are the finest binoculars you can get for the money.  They also have a lifetime warranty that is better then anyothers.  Sure they are expensive but they are well worth the money.
52 year old retire Air Force married 30 years with 2 kids. 1 22 year old daughter and a 7 year old son
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2008 at 23:34
Originally posted by ridurall ridurall wrote:

I've got the Brunton Epochs and I think they are the finest binoculars you can get for the money.  Sure they are expensive but they are well worth the money.

Brunton makes pretty decent glass.  The only problem is that everything they make is overpriced by about 30-40% as compared to competitors who are selling like (or better) quality products. Swarovski's SLC/SLC-new, Leica's Trinovid, Leupold's Golden Ring HD, the Vortex Razor, and the Nikon LXL are a few that come instantly to mind.

Originally posted by ridurall ridurall wrote:

They also have a lifetime warranty that is better then any others.  
  The Brunton warranty is no better than Leupold's warranty on the Golden Ring products nor for that matter, Vortex's VIP warranty or even Bushnell's warranty for their Elite binoculars. What's better, Leupold has a legendary, many-decades old history of honoring that warranty.  It doesn't have to be "activated" as is required by Brunton and you also don't have to call and get a special return/repair number before sending in your Leupold; a step you are required to take under Brunton's HALO warranty. 

This doesn't mean Brunton's warranty isn't any good.  It very well may be quite good.  My dad owns a Brunton binocular that once required service and their handling of the matter was quite satisfactory - which is a good start. Regardless, it certainly does not, qualify as " better than any others."

Edited by lucznik - July/03/2008 at 23:40
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
ridurall View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ridurall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 18:26
If you do your shopping a pair of Brunton Epochs can be had for about 1/2 MSRP.  I've gried the Swarovski, Leicas and the Leupold's and the quality of the glass and the focus is outstanding.   They sure have my Steiners and Canon Image Stabilized binoculars beat all to heck. 
52 year old retire Air Force married 30 years with 2 kids. 1 22 year old daughter and a 7 year old son
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 19:14
I agree--the brunton Epochs have great glass--used them in WV, at night, they were great!  However, a bit pricey for the competitors.  If you can get them 1/2 MSRP, what a deal!
ridurall View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ridurall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/04/2008 at 19:35
I got very lucky when I picked up my set.  It came with the spotting scope attachment, the fancy suitcase with my name engraved on it and the Life time warranty card.  If I loose it or drive over it, it's still covered.  I really like the way the focus works on it and the lense covers. 
thinkingman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thinkingman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2008 at 13:06
Question for you....why 10X for a bowhunter?
Not trying to start anything...just seems high for bowhunting?
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/14/2008 at 23:00
Excellent point.  I use my Katmai 6X32 for bowhunting (and almost evrything else).  You'll have some real difficulty using 10X at 20 yds.  I can easily hold my bow in one hand and my 6x in the other for long periods of time.  Other than just looking around, all you really need binos for when bowhunting is to make sure a deer doesn't ahve spikes or buttons.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
BL Drake View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BL Drake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/15/2008 at 10:36
Have you thought, looked at, compared the Vortex Line to any of your choices.  I recently purchased a pair of Vortex Diamondback 10x42's for about $200 while a friend purchased a pair of Razors for much more.  While comparing the two in the backyard one day it was apparent that the Razors were a little clearer and brighter.  But $400 difference??? Lets just say I am more than pleased with my purchase. Yippee
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic