OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Opinions/Advice on these two scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions/Advice on these two scopes
    Posted: February/03/2008 at 13:31
Good afternoon.  I am looking for opinions and advice on a couple of scopes.  The scope will be mounted on a Dakota Rifle in 7mm Rem Mag and used for whitetail deer hunting. Shots can range from very close to 400 yards and many times in low light conditions.  A neighbor recommended that I get one of the following two scopes.
Kahles 3-10x50 Helia CL Riflescope
Swarovski 4-12x50 AV

I have never owned either of these scopes and before spending that kind of money, I would like to get some thoughts and opinions from some of the forum members.
Which of these would you recommend?  Does either of them have any major advantages or disadvantages over the other one?  How would these scopes hold up on a 7mm Rem Mag?
Thanks

crimsontide View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crimsontide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2008 at 14:28
I have the Swarovski 4-12X50 and am very happy with it.  I have not used the Kahles but I'm sure that it is an excellent qualit scope as well. In my opinion either of these scopes should work well for you and both should hold up fine on a 7mm Rem Mag.  Others on here may have more experience with either or both of these scopes. Maybe some of them will provide you with more or better information.
Crimsontide
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2008 at 16:25
I just got the Kahles but have not mounted or used it yet.  I got one off the samplelist at a great price.  I'm not sure I like the side focus.  Since its been damn cold here I've only been able to look thru the scope from inside the house....... thru a window........ and it seems I have to focus it a lot.  I'm hoping that in normal hunting use, I won't have to focus all the time.  It doesn't appear the Swaro has that feature or an AO, so if you look at both and they both seem equal, I would recommend the Swaro.  Would like to hear what others think of the side focus/Adjustable Objective feature.
take em!
Dakota View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 08:40
Is no one familiar with these scopes?  I would appreciate any thoughts.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 08:50
i dont have any hands on with either of those scopes, but i will certainly say that either or would hold up fine to a 7mm, they are both top shelf scopes, i assume the swaro is more expensive. kahles come highly recommended in this forum, performance for price is very good.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 10:41
From what every owner of these scopes says on this forum.......they are very close optically and quality wise. The biggest difference then would be the difference in price.....which very much favors kahles.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Lawnfella View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawnfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 10:51
Just bought a Kahles 3x10 50 CL for my 300 Win Mag. I believe you will find all the quality being equal in these two scopes. Kahles has the advantage with the lower price.
300grains View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300grains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 11:05
I still own the named Swarovski scope. It is a good one, some time ago I had it on my
375 HH, no problems. But I favour Zeiss for my eyes, so today I use a Zeiss 3-12x56 on this gun also. IMO a better scope, at least for my eyes.  Good hunting.
Dakota View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 09:46
Thanks to everyone that responded.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 09:49
Let us know what you decide and then maybe post a pic and a review..... please!
take em!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 10:22
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Let us know what you decide and then maybe post a pic and a review..... please!

Please, pretty please. That's a very nice set up you have.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 11:52
As far as side focus goes I like it over a front focus. I have shorter arms and I have to get completely out of position to adjust the focus when the focus is on the front. Not much of a problem with paper,deer or antelope, but distracting on PD's where the distance to targets vary greatly. I like the rear focus better than side focus. Especially if You are using flip up covers. With flip up covers side focus is best for me because the covers open the same every time. It all boils down to what you are more comfortable with and what type of shooting you are doing. Sounds like a great rig you are putting together.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 11:58
I have a Kahles CL 3-10x50 and my hunting buddy has the Swaro AV 4-12x50. We have compared both scopes. The Kahles is a little clearer but not by much. If you look at the riflescope optical rating scale, the Kahles ranks 9.5 out of 10 which is higher than the Swaro AV.
abailey54
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 19:55
Tip, sounds like the window you are looking through is causing your scope to need focusing.  The Kahles CL is in my opinion the finest 1" scope in the world.  It has the same coatings as their 30mm models, both are outstanding scopes.
Robert
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2008 at 09:18

That's good to hear....... I can't wait for warmer weather so we can go to the range.   I think the coyotes have started mating, so we'll probably stop shooting them now.  My buddies with the hounds will still run them, but it's no fun for me when we can't shoot!

I have several rifle/scope combos that need switched around and didn't want to do that while we're still hunting.  Seems like its been a long winter and I'm ready for some above freezing temps!

take em!
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2008 at 12:23
can't help you with those temps tip, consider moving to the south, it's never below freezing down here.  
Robert
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2008 at 12:53
Its crossed my mind........ but I'd miss the change of seasons!
take em!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 21:37
Originally posted by abailey54 abailey54 wrote:

I have a Kahles CL 3-10x50 and my hunting buddy has the Swaro AV 4-12x50. We have compared both scopes. The Kahles is a little clearer but not by much. If you look at the riflescope optical rating scale, the Kahles ranks 9.5 out of 10 which is higher than the Swaro AV.

If you read the original thread by Chris Farris, it lists only two Kahles Scopes. The KX and the CL Muti-Zero. The Kahles C, CS, CL, CSX, KX and CBX were lumped together because they're the same optically and it appears they were rated an 8. The Kahles CL with Multi-zero is rated 9.5. The Swarovski American & PH is rated a 9.

IMHO, you can' go wrong with either one.

Edited by mike650 - February/10/2008 at 21:39
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic