OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

36 gr Barnes Varmit Grenade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 36 gr Barnes Varmit Grenade
    Posted: February/03/2008 at 10:58
 Friend of mine wants to try these in his 22-250. I haven't used anything but 50gr to 55gr bullets in mine. Tried 53 gr triple shocks and didn't get very good groups, so i'm not to excited about the thought plus i own a couple 204's.
 Just wondering if anyone has tried them and what the results were?
 Thanks
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2008 at 11:02
im going to guess that unless you have a 1-15 or 1-16 twist which i highly doubt they wont shoot for sh*t, in the .204 a 1-12 will shoot them just fine but the 22-250 wont shoot them with the standard 1-12 twist barrel
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2008 at 14:39
I realize this is purely anecdotal, but I tried the 62 gr 6mm's about 6 months ago, and couldn't ever get them to shoot worth a crap out of my highly accurate, 1:14 twist Hart barelled 6BR varmint rifle that shoots most anything very well.  I didn't exhaust all possible load combinations by any means, but my inital results weren't promising at all.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
OLRVRAT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 11:28
 Loaded some up yesterday. Used  Imr 4198, Imr 4064 & RL 15
 Shot the rl15 load in my ruger all weather 22-250
 1/2" group around 3900 fps, not bad  that's the kind of group it gets with about everything
 Shot the 4064 load in my cooper 22-250
 1/2" group around 4000 fps, That rifle shoots everything around 1/4 or less
 Shot the 4198 load in rem 700 vs 223
 1 1/4 " group around 3900 fps. You can cover a 5 shot group with a dime everytime with 50 gr vmax & 4198.
  They would maybe shoot better if a guy played around with it a little more.
 Bottom line with me is i'd have to shoot a coyote with one and see what it did. You can shoot gophers with cheap bullets!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 11:43
A 55 FMJ works fine on a coyote as well.  They seem to die just as easy as the expensive bullets.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
OLRVRAT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 12:38
If a FMJ hits a bone sometimes you have just as big a hole to sew as you do with a V max or hp.  They can also run of when hit with a FMJ. You'd like some thing to blow up in side.
 I'm getting to where it's hard to spend much time sewin a $25 coyote.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 16:36
If I recall, the 36gr barnes are almost the length of the 50gr v-maxes. Believe they will stabilize just fine with the 1 in 12 twist, but they aren't known for ragged one hole accuracy like the v-maxes, bergers, and blitz kings. They do however have a reputation for quick expansion and probably result in less of a chance of pass-thrus in coyote sized targets.

Focus

Edited by Focus - February/04/2008 at 16:39
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic