OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Newbie gets back to his roots, need advice!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie gets back to his roots, need advice!
    Posted: February/02/2008 at 20:35
 Hello everyone, I am just getting into hunting/guns for the first time and I am trying to build my self a sweet rig. For a little background story, I live in Louisiana where I grew up, in a family of avid hunters. I've never been much into it myself, and I only went when my Dad made me go as a teenager. I always thought it was boring and a waste of time when I could be out chasing women. Well, now that I'm grown and have a woman, I see why my Dad and his buddies spent so much time in the woods! Anyway, for a little father son bonding time, I went with him a few times last season and bagged a fat doe. I try to be a bit of a showoff when it comes to shooting so I brought her down with a headshot @ around 125 yds in low light with my Dad's old Winchester model 70 .308. I took the risky shot (for me, anyway, nervous as I was) because we already knew the thing was a tack driver, having shot a group that looked like a 3 leaf clover a few days prior. Needless to say I was pretty pumped and I decided I want to do the hunting thing all out next season. After deciding I wanted to build my own rig, I began to hit up all the local gun shops looking for a good deal. My first choice was going to be a Winchester model 70 like my Dad's, but I soon learned they were no longer being made. Everyone seems to have their own opinion on what the best gun for the money is, and I was leaning towards a Rem 700 SPS (synth. stock/stainless barrel) in a .308 or .30-06. At that point it was just a matter of finding the best price. No matter where I went they all seemed to hover around the $600-$675 range. At the last place I went, something in the used gun section caught my eye. I thought it had to be about the best looking gun I had ever seen, so I went over and picked it up. It looked brand new and had a light brown laminated stock, a stainless bull barrel, and a big fat foregrip that fit my hands perfectly. Stamped on the barrel was "Winchester Model 70 7mm WSM". It was love at first sight. The owner parted with it for $540 and I was on my merry way. I took it to my uncle who is also a gun dealer and his opinion is that the gun has never even been shot. So apparently it was a pretty good deal. Anyway, it is (as most of you reading probably know) a Winchester Model 70 Coyote. This one definitely does not seem like varmint rifle though. It's a big, long heavy gun. Really a little more than what I needed for hunting whitetail, but I couldn't pass it up. Anyway, enough of the background history. What I need now is a scope, mounts and rings. I want a good scope. I can't afford the best scope, but in my opinion this gun deserves something good, but also something I can actually afford. Looks are also important to me. I don't have a whole bunch of rifles. Just this one and an old Enfield .303 I'm trying to restore. So I want the one nice gun I have to be a head turner as well as a good shooter. The receiver is black and the barrel is stainless, so I would like to go with some sleek black mounts and rings and a silver or silver and black scope. (The Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 in silver looks like what I'm after) I also want the scope to be mounted as low as possible, while maintaining a decent size objective lens. I would like something larger than 40mm, but not if it means having to get tall mounts. (I like the ones that are mounted so low you can barely get the lens cap on) I don't know much about all this so that's why I have come to the experts! My budget is $300-$500. Any advice you can give will be much aprreciated.

PS: Sorry for the long-winded post but I always like a little background story myself. It makes for a more entertaining read!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 21:12
buy the conquest and dont look back
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Guests View Drop Down
Non-Registered Visitor
Non-Registered Visitor
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 21:24
Welcome to OT, atrain!

First, how dead set are you on a silver scope?  Your options are far more limited if you insist on silver finished scopes.  That being said, the Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 is a very nice scope, and with the 40mm objective, you will not need high rings.  With most brands of rings, you would get the "mediums."  With most scope mount brands, anything smaller than about 36mm objective scopes would use low rings, 40mm, 42mm, 45mm (and sometimes 50mm) objective scopes would usually use medium height rings, and 50mm and up would use high rings. 

Besides the Conquest, here are some other good quality silver scopes, all under your $500 limit, and all of which would use low or medium ring heights:

RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 21:30
 Big, long and heavy is pretty much the DEFINITION of a varmint rifle. They are built like that so the barrel is as stiff as possible for the best accuracy, and long enough to wring out the most velocity. The stock is thick and rigid to bed the action solidly, and the weight helps to steady your aim. That said, there's nothing wrong with it as a deer rifle, providing you don't need to carry it up and down mountains all day long!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 21:32
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

buy the conquest and dont look back

I agree with pyro here, atrain.  Of all the various silver scopes available, I'd get the Conquest as well.

Tony lists some good scopes, but keep in mind that a black scope won't look out of place due to the black receiver.  As he said, you have many more options if you don't limit yourself to just silver scopes.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Slick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 21:45
Just bought a Zeiss conquest today, after doing a lot of research and searching for just the right scope.  For me, it seems like this was the best scope for the money.  The next thing to think about is what reticle you would like.  I was going to get the 3.5-10X44, but I wanted the new RapidZ reticle that adds about $150 to the price of the scope so I went with the 3-9X40.  One thing that I really like about this reticle and set up is the eye relief, it is much more forgiving then most other models.  Check it out if you get a chance.
atrain View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 23:01
@ Pyro, I think I like the looks of the Zeiss the best so far, and they definitely seem to have a good reputation. Thanks for your input!

@TonyRomo, thanks for posting. Those are all really nice looking scopes, especially the Big Sky. My knowledge on optics is very limited since I've only been into this stuff about a month now. Are the Sightron scopes pretty good for the money? All I hear about around where I live is Leupold, Bushnell, Tasco, Nikon, etc. I definitely wouldn't mind trying out a different brand if they are good quality, especially since they seem to be a little less expensive! As far as silver goes, it's just kind of a thing I wanted to do to look a little different from everyone else at the camp. I know it's kind of silly since I am limiting my choices, but I set out looking for a stainless gun for just that purpose. Although you are right, with the black receiver I could get away with either color.

@ Ronk, yes after looking around it looks like you are right, it just kind of bothered me at first when I saw "varmint rifle". I was like "Wait! This thing is a seven mag! What kind of varmints do they have up there?!?"  But now I see it's more a description of the way the gun is built, and accuracy and velocity seem like good things to me. :)

@ Rifledude, thanks for your comment, it looks like the Conquest has a pretty good reputation, and you are also probably right about the black scopes. I will try to find some pics of my rifle with both color scopes mounted on it and see which I like best.

@ Slick, thats another thing I was wondering about. What are the different reitcles available for that scope, which one is the best? I would like something different in that regard also. Regular crosshairs are ok, but I also like some of the more unusual reticles. I really like the military looking ones with different lines for elevation and such. Probably not much practicality for what I will be using it for, but it would be nice.

Thanks to everyone for posting, I will be sure to post some pics of it when I get it all set up!
atrain View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 23:45
Speaking of unusual reticles, I wouldn't mind having one like this. It's from a PSO-1 Russian Military scope used on a Dragunov SVD like the one in my avatar. Not going to find anything  like it in a hunting scope obviously, but I had to put it up here for the coolness factor:

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 00:39
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 07:49
Get the conquest and enjoy it, great eye relief - fast focus - constant eye relief - good service - easy to see in low light, etched reticle - and of course some of the best optics in its price class. The finish on the scope is also very resistant to scratches and marking. You seldom ever see anybody buy a conquest and say they are disappointed.....

Focus

Edited by Focus - February/05/2008 at 07:50
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 09:33
I too have a Zeiss Conquest that I purchased after recommendations from this bunch of guys on here and all I can tell you is that it is GREAT. Mounted on a 7MM my go to deer gun.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
atrain View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 02:17
Thanks to all the great advice from the experts here at the optics forum, I am now the proud owner of a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. All I can say is WOW. I heard about scopes with advanced light gathering ability, but I was't prepared for what this baby will do. I can actually see WELL AFTER DARK through this baby. It was getting dark while we were trying to zero, and I could no longer see the target with my naked eyes. I could still see the INDIVIDUAL COLORS on the target when looking through the scope! Simply amazing. Thanks for the great advice, everyone! You were all a huge help! Oh, and it looks perfect on the gun, I'll try to post some pics soon.  
atrain View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 00:06
Here is that pic i promised, this is my Dad helping me sight it in. Shot 1" groups @ 100yds w/Winchester 150 grain. I'm gonna see if i can get it to do a little better.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 00:52
Nice Hi-Point
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 06:54
Nice looking setup. YOU DONE GOOD.....
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 07:31
that does look nice!! glad you are happy
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 07:42
Nice looking rig there atrain.  Unlike lots of other silver scopes the Conquest has both black and silver colors, on it, and coupled with those black rings, gives you such a nice blend of the silver and black.  Shooting MOA out of the first box, isn't too shabby either! 
MOJO
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 08:27
Good stuff, atrain. Congratulations on your happiness with the new rig and thanks for the pic. We like pics!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 09:14
Very nice looking set-up indeed!

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 11:21
That scope in silver with the black trim, along with the black rings looks really sharp with your stainless barrel/blued receiver Win 70 Coyote, atrain!  I'm glad you're pleased with your rig!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic