OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nikon 3x12 42mm SF or Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10 44mm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon 3x12 42mm SF or Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10 44mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawnfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon 3x12 42mm SF or Zeiss Conquest 3.5x10 44mm
    Posted: February/02/2008 at 09:09
I can't decide which of these two scopes to put on my Browning A-Bolt 270 WSM. I have looked through both scopes and really love the Z-Plex reticle. I'm not abig fan of the BDC in the Nikon so I would have to opt for the Nikoplex in it. The positives I see in the Nikon are more power on the high end, side focus, great eye box, around $200 cheaper than the Zeiss,and just a little better edge clarity. The Zeiss has the wonderful etched Z-Plex reticle, a larger sight picture, and legendary Zeiss quality. I'm thinking Zeiss will make a step forward in the next year or so to keep up with more side focus options and 4 to 6x zoom on their Conquest line. Has anyone compared these scopes side by side? I have not heard any negatives about either of the two. All input on these scopes would be appreciated. I'm leaning torward the Nikon but I just don't like Made In The Phillipines stamped on the bottom of them. Thanks
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 09:13
i would buy the zeiss i love my nikon scopes but call a spade a spade, the zeiss is obviously better and zeiss cs dept is way better than nikons
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 09:14
Which Nikon?
take em!
Slick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:04
I am currently moving from a Nikon 3-9 to a Zeiss.  I had a lot of problems with my Nikon keeping it's accuracy to the extent I missed a large deer last year because of it.  I had the Monarch version on a 7mm rem mag.  This of course is just MHO, but based on my experience with the Nikon, and my current research, if price is not an issue go with the Zeiss.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:11
Originally posted by Slick Slick wrote:

I had a lot of problems with my Nikon keeping it's accuracy to the extent I missed a large deer last year because of it.  I had the Monarch version on a 7mm rem mag. 

What was happening with the scope, Slick? I have Monarchs in 2-7 and 3-9 and wonder what the issue is. I haven't had a problem, yet.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:12
i havent ever had any problem with any of my nikon scopes and i hope i never do all of mine are 3x9's and none have had any issues of any kind
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:50
No problems with my Nikon either, and it's just a prostaff.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:52
my bro in law has a prostaff on his .270 and he hasnt had any issues with it i have only had buckmasters and a monarch and they have all been excellent
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:55
I'm not gonna complain about mine it holds its zero, and the glass aint too bad. It's sitting on a Savage 7mm magnum, and the combo is deadly accurate.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Lawnfella View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawnfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:59
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Which Nikon?

New Monarch 3x12 42mm side focus
Lawnfella View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lawnfella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 11:09
I've owned other Nikon's in the past and I currently have a 3x9 40mm Buckmaster on my Encore 50 cal muzzleloader. It has been rock solid since day one and is extremely bright in low light and it's a $250 scope. I had a Leupold Vari X lll 3.5x10 40mm on my 270 wsm and due to poor low light performance I sold it to upgrade to the Zeiss or Nikon. The Buckmaster looked better than the VX lll. I've looked through the Nikon and the Zeiss side by side and the Nikon had a little better edge to edge clarity, especially when you dialed in the side focus to correct parallax. I guess I'm leaning torward the Nikon unless I find some really good reasons not to. That Z Plex sure is beautiful though!Bandito
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 12:03
Conquests are already using side focus, the 3.5x10 is the top power variable that don't have AO. The 4.5x14 on up has side focus, can't really give you any reasons to go conquest over the nikon if you prefer it. The conquests are assembled in the US and do offer great service if ever needed. I don't think theres another scope in its class and even above its class that has as good of a reticle. Its the best I've yet used or seen to this point. I'm hoping they add the new rain coating they've developed to the conquest line as their next upgrade and any other upgrades as long as it don't effect the eye box and eye relief.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Slick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 19:42
I am not too sure what was going on, but I had to zero it in before every hunt.  I found that out the hard way.  Not sure why, but it would not hold, I traded it with my 7mm rem mag for a new Kimber 300 win mag.  Today I just bought a Zeiss 3-9X40 to mount on it.  Again this is just my experience with this one scope, could have just been a 'bad apple'.  But as they say once bitten twice shy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic