OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cheaper 10x optics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 19:48

I really doubt that your rifle will shoot much better than 3 or 4 inches from one shot to the next at 100 yards, and 6 inches may actually be more realistic, although there are exceptions. Don't spend too much time choosing between the finer points of scopes to put on it, it really won't matter very much for your applications, I'm afraid.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 23:48
That really depends on which SKS you are scoping.  Some are fairy accurate, especially Yugos.  I have two SKSs: Romanian and Yugo.  With proper ammo Romanian shoots about 3" groups and Yugo ~2".

Receiver cover mounts on SKS do not really work well except for the overpriced DC Engineering mount.

Choate mount is probably the best one of commonly available SKS mounts.

Both Mueller and Swift are good recommendations for a sub$200 scope.  I would also look at Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40.

ILya
blkexp98 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blkexp98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2008 at 00:09
I bought a specific SKS for better accuracy now that you bring it up.  It is an unissued Yugo and as you noted i think i can get a little more than most people expect from it.  I plan to keep a log of the differnt things i try to see how it effects the rifle so im trying to give it a fair chance within reason.  I dont expect 1 moa groups so its more of a test platform to have fun at the range with. 

Major 
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2008 at 15:03

Please keep us posted on the results. I'd sure be impressed with 2-inch groups. Reliability is pretty much a given, that's for certain...

blkexp98 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blkexp98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2008 at 18:30
Will do... Im intrested to see what happens as well.  Im thinking about making a small site about the testing etc.  Send me a pm if you have any ideas of what to test and how.    

Would a Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 be a better quality scope than the 3-10 bushnell overall quality and glass wise?  Im starting to fall back into my buy once cry once mode.  I could probably come up with the extra money plus the cost for the caps flip ups if i waited a little longer. 

I was looking at the buckmaster 6-18 when i got my bushnell 4200 6-24x40 SF.  Guess im in somewhat of the same position now.  Though i still havent had a chance to look through a buckmaster yet.  How thick is the mildot reticle on the buckmaster?  If its one of the fine ones i may just go for that. 

Thanks,

Major     
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2008 at 19:23

Just so you realize, I wasn't critisizing your idea to scope an SKS in any manner. What I was trying to convey was that the difference in potential accuracy between a fine crosshair and a coarse one would be maybe something like 1/4 to1/2 a minute of angle, tops.  Less if you consistently use the same corner of the intersection as your aiming point.  It would take a very accurate rifle and a very good rifleman to quantify that difference. I didn't want you to make the mistake of passing up a good scope based on that attribute alone.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 06:22
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Ah heck, I missed the variable part of the post.

To us a "L-arryism" mea culpa.......Embarrased

Yeah, but you did it as an honest mistake, a "L-ARRYISM" is when someone does it on purpose.......

Edited by cyborg - February/20/2008 at 12:58
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
ssf467 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssf467 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 12:10
SS any better than the TRS?
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 15:11
The SS in not out in a variable yet. The TRS-1 is a bit above budget but is good for the price

The 1 to 4 is right on price

Duce Smile
Duce
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic