OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cheaper 10x optics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blkexp98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheaper 10x optics
    Posted: February/02/2008 at 08:45
  I know this will be pretty contraversal but i would like to put a scope on my Loco SKS.  I thought this would be the best forum to post under since i wanted a ranging reticle and a 10x optic.  I would like to keep the cost down because of what rifle its going on and would like a couple options.  First off i would want a variable with 10x max magnification and a 40mm front objective to keep the profile down while allowing me to mount it lower.  For a reticle i would prefer a mildot or some type of ranging reticle.  I could get a extra fine duplex though but would prefer the mildot/ ranging reticle. 

I dont plan for these optics to be as good as my other scopes but i would like something decent.  Just to have a max price i guess $200 will be the number.  I ushually go by the buy once mentality but feel differentwith this rifle and have optics for my others. 

I also think im good to go on the mount situation and am just concerned about the optics.  I plan to use a Choate mount unless i can come up with a better way to make one. 

Thanks for any help and if you have any pictures for my application please post away.      
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 09:35

PeekerNO2

I don't think you will  be happy.  There is an old addage about silk purses and sows ears.  The best bet is a 4x40 Nikon if you must follow this path.  If you simply MUST part with that kind of money, take fifty and blow it dinner and send the rest to a nice childrens cause.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 09:39
Check out the Swift, and Mueller line of scopes. both are about as good as it gets in this price range.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 09:44
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:04
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8352-184-bushnell-10x40-elite-3200-rifle-scope.aspx

That's what I was going to suggest, along with a Super Sniper off the Sample list for a bit more money, but then I re-read the O.P. and realized he wants a variable.

Edited to add:  dammit Mark, pay attention!   Poker                                

Smile

Edited by RONK - February/02/2008 at 10:10
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:09
Yeah Ron, I was thinking the same thing until I read it again. The way I understand it he wants a variable up to a 10x, with a around a 40mm objective for around 200.00 dollars.

Cyborg
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:14
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Yeah Ron, I was thinking the same thing until I read it again. The way I understand it he wants a variable up to a 10x, with a around a 40mm objective for around 200.00 dollars.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with Swift and Mueller, but everything I've read about them tells me that your advice was spot-on.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:15
the swift is excellent, there cs dept is awesome, cause they really dont have one to deal with, you have an issue with there scope take it back to where ever you bought it and they give you a brand new over the counter
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:16
I only recommend them because some respected members here are using them and are impressed with the quality for dollar spent.

Cyborg
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:26
i have to take your word for it with the muellers i havent ever handled one, the swifts are comparable to the 3200 elite and the nikon buckmaster imo
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:48
The Muellers I have compared were about the same as the Swifts, if you compare them to the 3200. That aint too bad at all for the duckage.

Cyborg
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 11:08
This mount looks far more solid than the investment cast Choate side mount.
Considering the firearm type I would not bother with that much magnification. If you have to have a variable I would look at a 1-4 or 2-7 max.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 11:10

the way the rear mt. on an sks is held in and the way it must be jammed into the forward part virtually negates the uniformity needed in higher scope magnifications. The ultimak and some of the rear site mounts will allow this, and with a good 4x scout scope you could shoot the potential of an sks.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 11:17
Good advice Doug and Dale. It really comes down to shooter preference, and how he wants to apply the weapon of choice.

Cyborg
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 11:50
I would take Dales advice on where to mount. I was just looking at the materials for the most part.
The scout set up sounds good, too.

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 11:57

Of course you guys are right on, but in this case the O.P. seems to be going into this project with a fairly good idea of what he wants in a scope, even though I don't think his stated  parameters are the best choice for his SKS.
 BTW, the BARSKA mount that Doug (taqua) linked to looks like a lot of bang for the buck in a mount, compared to some of the other stuff I've seen. ( If you go with a receiver mount. As Dale implied, a scout setup will be far more solid, though.)

Edited by RONK - February/02/2008 at 12:00
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 12:33
Ah heck, I missed the variable part of the post.

To us a "Larryism" mea culpa.......Embarrased

RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 13:45
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Ah heck, I missed the variable part of the post.

To us a "Larryism" mea culpa.......Embarrased

Oh, I think we'll be able to find it in our hearts to forgive you!  Afterall the title was a bit misleading...
  Go in Peace, Brother!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 14:46
Neither of these mounts are ideal.  The Barska looks like you would loose zero everytime you cleaned the gun. The scout mount thing would be ok.  What the guy wants is not reasonable from the mounting side.  Then you add the gadgets...
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

blkexp98 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blkexp98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 17:23
Wow... Thanks for all the replies.   I wasnt expecting near this much response so fast.  Sorry if the title was misleading at all.  I thought t may sumarise what i was looking for ok and keeping it short. 

I looked into those Bushnell 3200's and do like them.  I saw a both of them (variable and fixed at a shop i went to this afternoon and thought they looked good.  I liked the fine center of the duplex but also like the mildot even though i would prefer it thinner.  Fom what ive read over the years the fixed 10x 3200 would probably be more reliable in the long run than the variable 3-10.  I also like the target turrets on the fixed 10.  Back to the other side its nice to be able to use less magnification at times. 

It does look like the swift brand ha a few offerings in the power range i was looking at too.  I just wish i could see one in person.   

For the Muellers are you pretty much saying to look at the sport dots and the 3-10 extreme?  Does anyone know what the dot size is on those with the german #4 and the dot? 

In closing the main reason i want the 10x magnification is to just make things easier to see to say it simply.  I was looking at the variable because i can dial down the magnification when its not wanted.  The 10x also allows me some options if i move it to a different rifle like my 16" ar15 if i wanted it there.  I target shoot and at the range i go to can only shoot paper so this wont be a battle rifle per say.  More of just something to have fun with at the range. 

Thanks for all the replies so far,

Major  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic