OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Traded for shotgun today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traded for shotgun today
    Posted: February/01/2008 at 16:00
Picked up a nice little Browning Gold 20 guage today!  Got it for my 13 yr old Son.  As I already have a 12 gauge in this model, the 20 will probably end up being mine someday while the 12 will end up with my Son.  Got a few years before that though I guess.  Can't wait to shoot it. 

Parted with a Savage 99 take down in .303 Savage and a Rem. model 11 "Sportsman" in 20 guage.  Hope I don't regret the Savage someday...... won't miss the 20 guage, it was pretty rough and had the ugly "Poly choke".

I'm really dissappointed that Browning quit making the Gold!  I think it's the best upland gun out there.  And it works good for ducks and geese too.  If my life depended on a shotgun, I'd go with the Benelli, but for birds or clays, give me a Gold.

Edited by Tip69 - February/01/2008 at 16:01
take em!
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 16:04
interesting how that gauge inversion occurs.-- after 3 kids I'm down to a .410
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 16:26
hahahaha........ you must be a pretty good shot!  Hitting something with a .410 isn't easy!
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 16:27
sure it is if you practice a ton there is a guy a hunt with that brings his 410 out when we are hunting pheasants in north dakota, shoots 3" shells and knocks em down just fine

Edited by pyro6999 - February/01/2008 at 16:30
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 16:30
Good choice in a scatter gun, Tip. All of our kids should be so lucky. Knowing the members here, I'm sure a bunch are!

Doug
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 16:39
Not sure how good it is for my kids, but it gives me a reason to buy more guns.  Wife doesn't mind as much when its for them, especially if I use it as a gift.  On that note, can't wait till I've got Grandkids Big%20Grin.  Hope I still have money then!

That reminds me of something.......... how many of you have safes?
take em!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 19:00
tip,

No safe, but some secret squirel hiding places.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 19:15
check the trees first i hear they like it up there!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 06:46

Liberty and Gun Vault here.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 08:39
Since the horrible mall shooting here, there has been some "gun" law talk.  One of the proposals would have made it a felony if your guns get stolen and used in a crime (or something along those lines).  I'm thinking I need to stop buying guns now and save up for a good safe.  All my guns are locked up, but a safe would be better! 
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 08:52
one of those browning safe doors would work too
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 09:44
Do you want a safe or do you want security?  Is your concern lose to theft, fire or just general liablity?  See you can have this big thing setting in a corner that says steal me or you can have a cedar lined closet with a couple of magnetic latches that keeps thing out of sight.

WWW.formitch.com

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:13
yeah but he has kids
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:48
Silver...... I want it all!

I have thought about the door Pyro, but it doesn't protect against fire and serious guys would figure out they could go thru the wall!  Right now I have a closet along with a cabinet that works just fine for the kids and general security.
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:54
what im thinking of doing is when i build my new house i will do the basement with icf concrete and build a room for guns and reloading in the basement with an external exhaust fan, it will not only be used as a gun storage and reloading room but also a gun safe and a storm shelter.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 15:23
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

what im thinking of doing is when i build my new house i will do the basement with icf concrete and build a room for guns and reloading in the basement with an external exhaust fan, it will not only be used as a gun storage and reloading room but also a gun safe and a storm shelter.

Read book on Underground House by Rob Roy.  He gets into the pros and cons on ICF.  These things confirm my thinking on ICF.  I'm not into sips for a simular reason.  He also gets into things like how to insulate the foundation to prevent mold issues.  Cheaptrick is mister concrete. 

Here is what I can tell you... My old college roomate's house was started as an underground house.  It had a poured gun room by the last owner.  Now the guy had to brag about how nobody was going to get his guns.  Well when he came home after two weeks of vacations, the guns were gone as was the safe door...   

Check out some of the books on hidding places... furiture, short walled closets, stuff hidden between studs, behind trim, installed cabinets, duct work, hidden rooms and it gets interesting.  Plus it helps the home value go up. 

My buddy got one 1200 pound safe rather than a couple of 600 pounders.  It took a small fork lift from work, four guys, a lot of pizza and beer to get that one moved.  It ain't going no place and you hope the next owner wants it.  Compare that to... and in the cedar lined closet is a hidden storage area for valuables. YMMV 

WWW.formitch.com

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 15:55
Have an older Fort Knox.  Keeps me in compliance with our current gun legislation and protects gainst the most common smash & grab thieves.  Would require a good torch, time and some knowledge to break into.  Heavy beast and bolted to the floor and wall.
God save the Empire!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 18:12
I have a room in the basement that would almost work..... 3 sides are block...... but the inner wall is just studs and drywall.  I would have to put some steel plates behind that and I'm not sure what all that would involve..... I'm guessing it could get expensive.  I didn't think about the added value it might bring to the house, so I might check into that.  This wouldn't help with fire........ but i'm not fire proof now, so its a thought!
take em!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 19:54
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Have an older Fort Knox.  Keeps me in compliance with our current gun legislation and protects gainst the most common smash & grab thieves.  Would require a good torch, time and some knowledge to break into.  Heavy beast and bolted to the floor and wall.

Try a drill, a funnel, a water hose, and a cap made to set off an air bag... At least that's the current rumor.

WWW.formitch.com

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 19:56
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

I have a room in the basement that would almost work..... 3 sides are block...... but the inner wall is just studs and drywall.  I would have to put some steel plates behind that and I'm not sure what all that would involve..... I'm guessing it could get expensive.  I didn't think about the added value it might bring to the house, so I might check into that.  This wouldn't help with fire........ but i'm not fire proof now, so its a thought!

Why would you have to put in steel plates?  Think some steel studs and quick-crete.

WWW.formitch.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic