OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

millets scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: millets scopes
    Posted: February/01/2008 at 15:06
are millet scopes any good
and where are they made
neil
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 15:11
Yes they are good scopes. They are made in China though, that is an issue for some people. You can rest assured though that Millett has some very good quality assurance, quality control. I own a TRS-1 and it is a very nice scope for the money, It's not an IOR or anything like that, but a very dependable and useable scope none the less.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 17:22
I have 2 of the TRS-1 Millett scopes, no problems at all they have been on several different guns 30-06 etc. a good scope for the money if you don`t mind spending a little more you can get a Nikon Monarch 4 to 16 with mil-dot that does have better glass. Mine have had hard use as "truck guns" bouncing around off road. Do get good rings and mount if you intend rough  use. I do think the TRS-1 is a bargan for the money.

DuceBig%20Smile
Duce
gtis View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 12:30
hi all
you say not bad for the money
but in england
5x25x56 ao mildot is £300
on brownells site it is $200
if it $2 to £1 its dear
neil
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 12:37
That is not the TRS scope for $200

Duce Smile
Duce
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:05
 I'd check out Mueller scopes first . Japanese high end lenses and german coatings . In my opinion three yards above millets .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2008 at 21:13
Originally posted by merceanary1947 merceanary1947 wrote:

I'd check out Mueller scopes first . Japanese high end lenses and german coatings . In my opinion three yards above millets .

The only Mueller scope that is Japanese is Mueller Tac II.  All other Mueller scopes are made in China. 

Chinese-made Muellers are decent scopes for the money, but Millet TRS is defintiely better. 

ILya
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 10:32
 Yea ... you're right ..... have heard millet has jumped leaps and bounds lately . Forgot to mention the tac 2 was my post scope . Anyone wanting some specs can check this link http://www.realguns.com/archives/126.htm . I'd not say all millet trs's  are better though ... can't agree with that quote .
               SWFAM
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 12:49
I believe that you will find that Koshkin is speaking generally, and in that context he is dead right. There will always be some that are not as good as others but on the whole the TRS is the better.

Edited by cyborg - March/20/2008 at 12:50
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2008 at 20:09
First of all, in my post I specifically said that TRS-1 is superior to Mueller's chinese-made scopes.  Tac II is a pretty nice scope, but it does not have a direct equivalent in Millett's tactical line, so it is hard to compare.  The glass in a Tac II is a touch better than TRS-1.  Not sure about LRS.

Now, about that link to "realguns" link.  Overall a nice review, and I agree that Tac II is a veyr nice scope for the money.  However, I certainly take issue with that badly conceived scope test.  Aside from the fact that the actual parameter they are trying to measure is almost irrelevant, they are also not measuring it correctly.  That kind of a test is worse than useless, it can also be very misleading and costly since someone might actually believe those BS numbers and use them to make purchasing decisions.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - March/20/2008 at 20:09
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2008 at 09:24
 Yep .... contacted that mueller dealer ... get this slick sales pitch .... he starts off telling you about the glass and lenses in the Tac II and then switches to the lower grade scopes and does'nt advise the lower end units are totally different .... leaving the impression ALL the muellers have the better optics . Glad I came here and screwed up and was enlightened ! My leupold buddy is still giving me the razz !!
               SWFAM
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2008 at 15:17
Customer service at Millett, according to FedEx Millett received my TRS-1 last Thursday and today, 6 days after they recieved it a brand new TRS-1 arrived at my door by UPS.
That is good customer service.

Duce Big%20Smile
Duce
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic