OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington VLS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington VLS
    Posted: January/31/2008 at 12:40
I am interested in the Remington VLS in the 204 Ruger.  How would you guys compare it to the Savage Low Profile?  I have the later in a 22-250 and it is a tack driver, without any modifications.  Stainless steel also.  I have been looking at the Coopers and Kimbers, but I may have to take a reality check as to the price of the rifle I buy, so I am looking at alternatives.  Also, how does Remington bed their rifles, specifically this one and any other suggestions?  I can get this rifle now for 639, bnib, about the same as the Savage.
OLRVRAT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLRVRAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2008 at 13:11
  My experience with remington varmit rifles is that they shoot pretty good, but the ones i have had needed a lot of  bullets down the barrel before they did! I haven't had a wood stocked one but the vs & vssf's have good pillar bedded stocks. The sps varmit stock has alot to be desired, i put a boyd's thumbhole on mine. I would bet the vls is floated but not bedded.
 All the savages i have had shot good out of the box.
 I'd go with the savage, but that is just my opinion.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2008 at 14:47
mine (vls) had a broken sear from the box, but a rifle basic trigger instead of sending it back, and also had to spray the grip and forend with brownells stock sticky-- barrel is floated, vel. around 4200 fps in 204 with good groups but it took awhile. best part of gun is the vls. (stock)
TLARbb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TLARbb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2008 at 21:00
The one I have in .260 had a pressure pad in the end of the forend, which I took out.  The VLS stock was not pillar bedded from the factory and I have not had it done.  I have since put it in a VS stock, which I think is better.  But the VLS stock is sure pretty.  It seems to be shooting better with time.  However, it has been a long while since I have been able to shoot any of my rifles.   Bummer!

EJ
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic