OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need fairly inexpensive precision scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need fairly inexpensive precision scope
    Posted: January/29/2008 at 13:59
Im in the process of building a 10/22 with heavy barrel, nice trigger, etcetcetc. The purpose of the rifle is mostly to push the envelope of the .22lr caliber in terms of "effective range" so that i can practice long distance shooting with all its "com-ups" for fairly cheap. Ive decided that for the next while Ill spend more time learning about marksmanship rather then behind my .308 shooting for fun.

Anyhow, to get to the point, Ill need scope thats fairly inexpensive but can track very well. Distances will be around 200 meters, unless i can get it going further. I was thinking of a Meuller 4-16 x 50, however my second choice would be a SS 10x.

I guess the real question(S) would be: How does the Mueller stack up to the SS, and is the SS necissary for the extra 80 bucks?

My biggest concern is how the Muller tracks.

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tikka View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 14:06
Sorry, also wanted to point out that ILL be poppin rodents with it too ;)....which is just pointing out the obvious.

Also, anyone have any links or forums dedicated to .22lr long range shooting, or hunting? Im not to big on the guys with the million dollar target rifles, just regular stuff.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 02:23
Inexpensive,  precision, track very well, fairly cheap.
Which words do no belong???
Tikka, you would have to lower your expectations if you need a cheap scope.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 05:52
The SS has a very good reputation around here but the variable will give you more versatility for eliminating pests.
I haven't personally used a Meuller but they are picking up some fans here @ O.T.
For rimfire talk visit http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/ There is a lot of 10/22 fans there.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 06:29
The Swift premier, The Millett TRS-1, Mueller, any of these should do nicely. Yes I too would recommend the variable.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Tikka View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 10:25
8shot, Yeah, i kind of have high hopes for this dont i? lol which was kind of why i made this post to begin with. Can I get away with using 200 - 250 dolar scopes, or am i gonna have to put in a little more cash? Id rather not, but i will need something to do the job.

Has anyone any advice on the tracking of these scopes?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 10:39
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

The Swift premier, The Millett TRS-1, Mueller, any of these should do nicely. Yes I too would recommend the variable.

All of these come in the magnification range you suggest and are a good choice. If you would be willing to look at a 3-9 with adjustable objective the Weaver is a good choice. The reticle is heavy enough for hunting and it is fully multi-coated and constucted like their big game scopes. This magnification will let you make head shots at all reasonable .22 ranges.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 10:53
The answer may be to go to a fixed power scope of 4x or 6x. The argument being that with a .22 your range is and should be limited to 100yds max? I do not know about going to 200yds with a .22 cal????
Buying a low magnification fixed power would make it less expensive, permitting you to upgrade on glass and tracking ability, which is the other requirements you are looking for.

Edited by 8shots - January/30/2008 at 10:54
Tikka View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 10:55
What about getting the Bushnell 10 x 40mm? it costs less and wouldnt be over scoping the thing like a SS
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 16:53
This isn't what you asked, but a .17HMR or even a .17HM2 would be a better round for shooting 200 meters and cost would still be a lot less than a .308.  If you shop around, you can find 50 rounds of HMR for $10 or HM2 for $6/7.  The HMR is very capable of 200 meters.
take em!
Tikka View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 16:54
I was considering it, but for a rifle thats main role would be for target shooting, you cant beat the price of 22lr.

On a side note, at what distance does the round become subsonic?
Tikka View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 17:02
Also, to keep you updated, I bought a Savage. The one with the laminate thumbhole stock, vented forestock, accutrigger etcetcetc. Now that is a nice peice of kit for the money. I figured for the application i dont really need a semi anyhow.

So as you can see, I want to get a scope for it pretty bad now
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 18:04
What does "subsonic" mean?   
take em!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 18:06
Below the speed of sound.

Cyborg
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2008 at 02:37

The speed of sound is 1120fps. A 22lr leaves the barrel at about 1240fps. It becomes subsonic within 50yds.

Edited by 8shots - February/04/2008 at 02:39
Tikka View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 15:59
One more wuestion, has any one used a millet tactical before?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 16:02
The TRS-1 is a good scope, I wouldn't say a great scope, for the money it's a great scope.  

Cyborg
diesel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2008 at 23:52
with the 17HMR AT 200 meters, better be VERY good at dopeing the wind.
there are stupid motorcyclist and there are old motorcyclist but there are no stupid, old motorclclist
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2008 at 15:30
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

What does "subsonic" mean?   

Dairy Queen  
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2008 at 23:40
Well if the point is to be able to learn to use a tactical scope I would stay with a Super Sniper and one of the main reasons is the huge amount of internal adjustment this scope has- and with a rapidly dropping .22  you will need that internal adjustment. I have had both the 10x and the 20x and while the 10x is a great all around scope for what you are talking shooting paper at 200 yds I believe I would buy the Super Sniper 20x and live with the fact that it is a bright daylight scope and will look grey in low light. Also noteworthy is how it would perform on rodents at distance. While the .22 is underpowered it is affordable and you wont have to spend time reloading or spend the kind of money that 22 mag or 17 HMR cost.  The 17 HMR would be the most accurate of course because of its much better bullet design.  The advantage of a variable is that  you can dial it down for hunting or in lower light. The advantage of the Super Sniper is that parallex will focus down to about 12 yds and most scopes wont focus down closer than 50 to 75 yds.   My vote is for the 20x Super Sniper.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic