OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Buy for $250

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Buy for $250
    Posted: January/29/2008 at 13:36
Any suggestions on what the best bang for the buck would be for the $250 price range?  I am purchasing a scope for $600-$700, and just can't afford to spend that much for Binoculars as well.  I would like to get something around the 8X42 or 10X42, somewhere in that range.  thanks in advance for your responses!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 13:42
These are pretty good, I checked them out in a store the other day and was impressed.  They are not up to par comparing them to some good Euro glass but for the price they looked pretty good.
http://www.swfa.com/c-2130-vortex-diamondback-binoculars.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 15:03
go to fleabay,
and find a Celestron Regal LX 8x42 for $170. Those binoculars originally sold for $500. They are stunningly sharp from edge to edge, very bright even in low light, excellent binoculars, and are covered by no fault warranty. Made in Japan.
I have a pair, and they are light and well ballanced, excellent quality.
The only differences between them and a pair of Zeiss or Swarovski are 
1. the field of view is less
2. they have a bit more color fringing in bright light, but not too much. 

Celestron appears to have discontinued them, and they are now on sale.
Slick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 15:28
Thanks for the info, I will check them out.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 15:33
I'd change your budget.  You're getting close to $1000 for a scope and binocs.  Spend $450 on a scope and $550 on binocs.  I use my binoculars about 50 times as much as I use a scope.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 15:33
Celestron Regal

Canon 7x42mm WP

Edited by Bird Watcher - January/29/2008 at 15:47
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 17:32
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

I'd change your budget.  You're getting close to $1000 for a scope and binocs.  Spend $450 on a scope and $550 on binocs.  I use my binoculars about 50 times as much as I use a scope.

+1
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 07:10
What lucznik and mywates suggest is actually wise. You will use you binoculars waaaaay more than your spotting scope.
Still, the Celestron Regal LX 8x42 is in the Minox/Kahles/Pentax $500 class and much better than, say, Leupold Pinnacles. 

12VMan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12VMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 09:24
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

go to fleabay,
and find a Celestron Regal LX 8x42 for $170. Those binoculars originally sold for $500. They are stunningly sharp from edge to edge, very bright even in low light, excellent binoculars, and are covered by no fault warranty. Made in Japan.
I have a pair, and they are light and well ballanced, excellent quality.
The only differences between them and a pair of Zeiss or Swarovski are 
1. the field of view is less
2. they have a bit more color fringing in bright light, but not too much. 

Celestron appears to have discontinued them, and they are now on sale.

I can't find these any cheaper than $348?  I would love to buy 2 pair, but not at that price.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 14:56
Originally posted by 12VMan 12VMan wrote:

I would love to buy 2 pair, but not at that price.

I sent you a PM.
12VMan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12VMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 19:42
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

Originally posted by 12VMan 12VMan wrote:

I would love to buy 2 pair, but not at that price.

I sent you a PM.

Just got it, thanks!  Not sure why that did not show up in my search this morning.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2008 at 21:10
Slick,

I'm one more vote for reversing your budget.  Get at least a $500 binocular.  For this price there is nothing better than a Vortex Viper.  Never used one but they are sure clear enough to try, look at the Vortex Viper line of scopes.  You will use the binocular far more than you will use the scope.  You will buy a much better $250 rifle scope than a $250 binocular.  If you still insist on more scope than binocular,is the Nikon Monarch series or Vortex Diamondbacks  (a little less than the Nikon), and are a pretty usable binoculars.  Another option is the Leupold Yosemite porro binoculars at about $100. 

Steve
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Slick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2008 at 10:07
Thanks for all the input, I did adjust my budget a little bit.  I put an order in for the Leupold® Wind River® Cascade Series Bino 10-42.  I looked through them at the store and was very impressed with the clarity and the fit/feel of them.  They were about $320.  There are so many choices out there in this price range, I don't really know if I made good decision or not.

If anyone has had any negative experience with these please let me know, I have not received them, because the store was out of stock.  So I can always send them back, or just not pick them up, as I have not paid for them yet.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2008 at 11:47
Slick,

Look for my PM.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 06:07

The next pair I buy will be alot better, I spent more on the scope than the Bino's should of spent 500-600 on each, oh well lesson learned. My wife enjoys the Leupold Mesa 10x50 to look at birds in the back yard. I am saving up for a new pair now. So for about 750.00 is all I can REALLY afford to spen what would you look at? Thanks guys....

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 06:57
For $750.00 Ive been told the new VORTEX RAZOR is the one to look at. I am thinking about buying some Vortex Viper for around $500.00. I have no experience with either but the reviews are very good. Vortex have a great lifetime warranty.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:45
I agree with Dave44, start with the Vortex Razor/Viper models and do some comparisons.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:48
The Leupold Gold Ring HD typically sells for $750.  The non-HD version can still be found for under $600.   Leupold Pinnacles sell for under $500.

Refurb Bushnell Elites can be found for under $500.

Vortex does seem to be getting a lot of really good press lately - at least their binoculars do.  Personally, I found the Razors to be a bit too big for me but, they were very nice otherwise.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 10:52
Originally posted by Slick Slick wrote:

I put an order in for the Leupold® Wind River® Cascade Series Bino 10-42... They were about $320... I can always send them back, or just not pick them up, as I have not paid for them yet.

You could have bought this same binocular for $280 from SWFA, saving yourself $40.  That would be enough motivation for me to cancel my order.

In this price range you also would really be better off getting the 8x42 version.  10x is really hit-and-miss (mostly miss) in budget class optics.  Not only will you get better optics with the 8x but you'll save even more $$$. 

Edited by lucznik - February/23/2008 at 10:55
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2008 at 11:11

Personally, imo, I do not believe you need to change your budget at all.  One of the most under appreciated pair of binos is the Olympus Magellan EXWP I, roof prisms, phase corrected, water proof and made in Japan.  They are 10x42.  I have owned a pair for almost 2 years and they have accompanied me bear hunting on multiple occasions.   Tough terrain and dense woods to scope which is much more demanding of a bino than that of flat long distance scoping were resolution is of primary importance.  I have directly compared these to many high end expensive binos and can either tell no difference or thought the Olympus binos were better.  The color rendition is uncanny and the clarity is perfect from edge to edge.  There is no significant color/chromatic distortion and the depth of field for any given focus point seems deeper than other binos, which when scoping woods, is important.  They are built tough and I have not had a problem with them at all.  List price is 389, but I just did a check for medic52 and found them as low as 169.95, may be gray market, but around 200 or a little more should get you a USA pair easily.  I would not trade them for any other pair even up.  Where I hunt, binos take alot of abuse and invariably somebody forgets them and asks to use yours.  I have not had anybody who used mine who did not believe they were not incredible, regardless of what they owned (from cheap Bushnells to some high end models that I cannot recall the names and models, as I would be guessing).  At least, look through a pair.  Could not hurt.  I sure I will get alot of flack recommending this pair, as they are not in the mainstream for a hunting binocular.  But, when I set out to buy a nice pair of roof prism binos, I researched the topic thoroughly, looked through alot of them and found that I did not have to spend 1000 dollars on a pair.  This pair is made in Japan, which is also reassuring.  One caveat, get flip up lens covers as they come with standard non-attached lens covers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic