OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX-ii vs 4200

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOLIO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX-ii vs 4200
    Posted: November/12/2004 at 12:33

I'm building a 10/22 conversion to a 17m2 and I am considering the following:

Leupold Vx II 4-12-40 fine duplex $399.95

Bushy 4200 4-16-40     $398.99

Thoughts...other options.....Thanks

P.S the VX3 Leupold 4-12-40 is $480.(I think).  Does it perform that much better than the VX2?

redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2004 at 12:51

i like the VXII better, becuase its smaller, and your thinking about the 4.5-14x40 VXIII. and the leupold 4.5-14 isnt going to have parralax adjustment until you spend some more money for the side focus model.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 20:15
This is a perfect example of how Leupold has overpriced themselves in the marketplace. BOLIO1 is assuming that because the price of the Leupold is the same as the 4200 that they must be of equal quality. I know that Leupold has made improvements to the VX-ll line, however, I think that there has been enough talk and hands on experience from the forum to say that the VX-ll is nowhere near the quality of the Bushnell Elite 4200. In fact, I don't think that the VX-lll is as good a scope as the 4200's. Leupold makes a very good scope and their warranty is without peer in the industry, which is probably one of the reasons that has driven their scope prices where they are at today. Part of the reason that the Elites don't get the recognition that they deserve, I my opinion, is that they are branded wit the Bushnell name which has always been viewed as "value" scopes. I would bet many paychecks that if the Elites keep the Bausch & Lomb name, there would be far less skepticism about the quality of these fine scopes.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 21:21

"Part of the reason that the Elites don't get the recognition that they deserve, I my opinion, is that they are branded wit the Bushnell name which has always been viewed as "value" scopes. I would bet many paychecks that if the Elites keep the Bausch & Lomb name, there would be far less skepticism about the quality of these fine scopes."

AMEN Roy, when i speek of them around people they automatically downgrade them, and think nothing of them, becuase i said bushnell elite, but they dont know what they're missing, i DO NOT care for the 3200, but i LOVE the 4200, and its one of the best scopes there are IMHO. i was just saying i like the VXII more, becuase its jsut not as big as the elite, i would NEVER say a VXII is a clearer, better preforming scope than a 4200, its close to it, but its not quite there.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2004 at 14:59
Cory, in a recent article in Rifle magazine, the author, John Barsness, wrote an article titled " Tough Scopes" where he cited some dialog between him and noted riflemaker, Charlie Sisk. In short, Barsness touted the 4200's as being one of the toughest scopes available today. When he asked Mr. Sisk if he ever recommended these scopes to his customers, Mr Sisk remarked are you kidding, I couldn't talk one of my customers into buying a Bushnell for anything. Most of Mr. Sisk's customers insisted on Swarovski, Leupold and a few Zeiss scopes thrown in the mix. As I stated earlier, if the Elites had the Bausch & Lomb name, I'm quite confident they would be viewed in a different light. This type of attitude is is not exclusive to Mr. Sisk. I had a conversation with Mark Bansner, another highly regarded riflesmith from PA. at the last Harrisburg Outdoor Sportsman Show where I asked him about his opinion of the Elite 4200's, and he stated that he never mounted one on anyone of his rifles. When I stated that on the front cover of one of his recent catalog's there was a picture of him and I believe one of his son's, was a picture of Mark with one of his rifles and another man sporting one of his " Series Rifles" bearing a 3200 Elite scope he developed amnesia. My point of all of this I think is pretty clear. This type of attitude is not exclusive to Bushnell Elites.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2004 at 17:03

lol, thats pretty good, i think its about the same story with the Super Snipers being related to tasco. i mean, people must not get out much these days. where i hunt, if your scope isnt top with a leupold, and ONLY a leupold its not a worthy gun, i mean people will sit and argue that leupold is THE BEST scope made, and all i do is mention swarovski, and zeiss, and they go silent, and will then argue that leupold is still better. jsut becuase somebody's a hunter, doesnt mean they're familiar with guns/acc. i had a guy just the other day trying to tell me that the 30-06 is the perfect deer caliber, and i mentioned the 7mm-08, and he says thats way too powerful for deer, and you simply dont need it... hello, last time i checked the 30-06 is ALOT more powerful than the 7mm-08.

cory

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2004 at 22:29
I've seen this sort of attitude many times.  In the field of sporting optics there is an interesting type of an arrogance that goes two ways:  there are people who have spent a lot of time in the field with a couple of particular products and they firmly believe that the stuff they've used is wonderful and everything is crap.  When you try to tell them of coatings, lenses, design, etc. they go red in the face and come out with something along the lines of: "Punk, I was killing deer way before you were just a glint inyour father's eyes! Don't tell of all this BS, none of it matters!"  I am 28 years old and I have a degree in optics.  I've heard these words (usually in a less civilized form) many times.  On the other end of this argument are people who have never been out in the field and who firmly believe that you can learn everything there is to learn about a scope from the manual and a few specs.  The very thought that a scope may look wonderful on paper and turn out to be crap is heresy to them just as spending less than a thousand dollars on a scope.  From them I've heard: "Don't tell me all this "been there done that" crap! What you are saying is impossible and you a f***** liar!" 

The truth, naturally, is somewhere in the middle, since sporting optics depend on a number of things aside from technical specifications. 

Occasionally, at a local shooting range, I listen to an argument between an old-timer who believes that Leupold is the only scope manufacturer in the world and all others are worthless and some yuppy who comes to the shooting range with enough gizmos to fill a Chevy Suburban.  Their heated discussion always makes me chuckle.  .  When they argue the mention vast herds of deer that they were apparently able detect and slaughter from several miles away using their "super-duper" equipment.  The other day I looked at their targets.  The only chance they have of hitting anything is to have someone else hold the deer and use a sledgehammer.  Even then, I have my doubts.

Almost anything from a reputable manufacturer will get the job done, but only as long as the man pulling the trigger is up to it.

Ilya
BOLIO1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOLIO1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 10:12

Thanks for the replies.  I have never owned a VX-2 or VX-3.  I have owned several of the old Var-X-III in the past but did not really know what changes had been made.  I had decided on the 4-16 4200 when a gun dealer friend of mine called this morning asking if I had any interest in a 4.5-14-44 Zeiss new in the box for $470.  I could have bought the 4200 for less but I figured I would give the Zeiss a try.  If I don't like it, I won't be out too much money at the price I bought it.

Thanks again for the replies and I would appreciate any thoughts on the Zeiss from those that know.  Thanks.

otis348 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otis348 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 16:08
Bolio,
       Tell me how the Conquest compares to the 4200? I am interested now that you have a conquest to compare too.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 19:57
Cory and koshkin, when I worked at our local gun shop it was very hard to keep a straight face when I would hand over the latest 300 Ultra Mag to a lad who was hunting whitetails out here in the Catskill Mtn region of NY. These range in weight from approx.90 lbs. up to a fat, dumb and happy 150 lbs. or so. You know as well as I do that in sales the customer is always right. Maybe we could get together and market an Ultra Mag accessory kit that could include say, 4x4 gauze pads, Ace bandages, Neosporin, Dermabond( crazy glue for the skin ) and a organ donor card for the after effects of a blow to the head from their Swarovski PH 4-16 x50's mounted to these shoulder buster's !!!! If there was ever a better round than the 7-08 for whitetails, I'm not aware of it. When I would mention such of this to these cement heads, they wouldn't even consider such a nice gun like a Kimber 84M in 7-08 for these hearty beasts. Go figure.

Edited by Roy Finn
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 20:17

Yep, I've seen a few of those types.  Around here I've run into a guy who insists that you need aa 300 Winmag to shoot coyotes.  Those have got to be some sort of "ninja mutant coyotes" to require a howitzer like that.  Quite frankly, I am planning to build and "african" rifle in 375H&H.  It is mostly for the heck of it though. I'll never go to Africa, but I'll enjoy owning it.  I doubt I'll ever shoot it at anything other then paper.

Ilya

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 20:55

koshkin, thats the best ive heard so far, a 300 win for yotes...lol.....ok, now that ive picked myself up off the floor.... ive seen yotes dropped with 17 hmr's... we must be talking about yotes cross breed with grizzlies or sumthin....i mean, theres simly no need for these monsters. im planning a african rifle myself, i would mind one of the remington custom shop rifles in 375 ultra mag...well then again, you never know if you'll ever need to shoot that cape from 800 yards, you think i should step up to a 50 bmg?? lol

cory

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 21:29
I don't believe that the Custom Shop makes a belt feed, water cooled 700 in 50 BMG. Must be a special order only.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 21:32

darn, isnt that a cryin shame, hmmm... it looks liek the Barrett M99 will have to do, mayeb i should write remington up about that.

cory

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic