OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

looking for a hunt in the corn belt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 12:19
i dont wear gloves when i hunt i dont like them for hunting at all, so i have one of those handwarmer muffs like the nfl quarterbacks wear when its cold and put some heat factory heat packets inside they usually last 8-10 hrs and that seems to work great
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 14:54
I ain't never seen a cajuncicle before... I remember how the natives were when it got to 32 in Blioxi.   I can't imagine the panic when that little hot scauce bottle freezes
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Jsimoneaud View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 15:20
yep, you guys are scaring me, cause I don't plan to buy a whole bunch of cold weather clothes, I was planning on layering up, like 2 pair of duofolds, 2 thick hunting shirts, my big coat, 1 pair insulated pants, my knee cap high rubber boots with the 3/8 inch wool removable liner and then my boot blankets over the boots. I am gonna buy a bunch of the charcoal hand warmers.

do you think I will freeze, cause yes coonasses do freeze in the snow!

we are going Nov 8th -16 - you sure it will be below 0 degrees?
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 16:00
Why take the risk?  Here is what I wore this past year:

1) Under Armour base layer
2) Long Underwear
3) Down Underwear
4) Jeans
5) Flannel Lined Pants
6) Sweat Pants
7) White coverall pant

Same set-up on top.  I would sit from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.  Froze my ass of every day.  Pyro is exactly correct in that the blinds can get cold because the 2-3 openings effectively act as a wind tunnel.

I hunt in WI so I know what cold is, but Canada can be a whole new ball game.  I am going to purchase the Northern Outfitters Vaetrex stuff...this appears to be the best gear on the market.  I am also going the hand warmer (get the grabber warmers "Mega"...nothing else is close, trust me) and muff route.

ND2000
You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 19:55
Originally posted by Jsimoneaud Jsimoneaud wrote:

yep, you guys are scaring me, cause I don't plan to buy a whole bunch of cold weather clothes, I was planning on layering up, like 2 pair of duofolds, 2 thick hunting shirts, my big coat, 1 pair insulated pants, my knee cap high rubber boots with the 3/8 inch wool removable liner and then my boot blankets over the boots. I am gonna buy a bunch of the charcoal hand warmers.

do you think I will freeze, cause yes coonasses do freeze in the snow!

we are going Nov 8th -16 - you sure it will be below 0 degrees?

No, but it COULD be 25 below just as easily. I think we can all agree that you will probably die!Howdy

Edited by RONK - February/02/2008 at 19:56
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 20:07
Then there is the Cajun verses the French thing... 

Beretta makes some nice winter clothes.   Filson has some nice stuff. 

When I used to work in an unheated lumber yard, it was dufold long johns, uniform pants, Carhart coverbibs, long sleeve shirt, commando sweater and uniform sweatshirt and a Carhart jacket. 

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 20:27
Thanks RONK!! I don't want to die, SO I guees I may spend some dough on clothes, I was thinking I spent enough on the hunt, airfare, tip, passport, border fees....etc...
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 20:29

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 20:41
silver - what am I supposed to look for at wiggys?

I found the Vaetrex under clothes for about 110.00 each top/bottom at northern's site.
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 20:53
 I have an old Waterfowler's Parka from competitor that has kept me alive so far. It is bulky, heavy, waterproof, windproof and warm. It's kind of noisy though, but I bet they have some newer stuff that's as good or better, and quieter to boot. Get ready to spend a couple or three hundred bucks on one though.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 21:04
might as well be prepared for cool weather, in minnesota, our rifle season is the same time as your hunt, and i have seen any where from -25 to +65 for hunting temps, usually its on the lower side of that somewhere in the teens to mid 20's is pretty normal, so be ready is all i can tell you being cold will ruin it fast
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 21:05
PYRO - what series of arctic shield bibs?? H3? S1?

I found the H3 bibs for 100.00

I went thru all my hunting clothes tonight and I have decided that for the south with 20 degree weather I may be ok, but for 0 or less I am gonna have trouble, the best thing I got going for me with what I have is the duofolds.
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 21:09
h3's but i am very happy with them ive never been cold in them, i even tested them the first season i had them, i purposely made myself cold and wet, i took all my clothes off except for a short sleeved t shirt and my jeans and rolled in the snow and waited a few min. and then put the rest of my clothes back on then the bibs and coat and within about 20 min or so i was warmed up again, so i know they work, my wifes cousin and his wife were so impressed with them they bought a set each as well.

Edited by pyro6999 - February/02/2008 at 21:10
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 21:31

thanks PYRO - they are on sale right now for 89.00, think I will get a pair.

now the vaetrex under garmets are kinda thick and I don't think my pants will fit over them, so I think I will just buy the arctic shield H3 bibs and the Grabber hand warmers.

now will I have trouble getting stuff over the border like, binos, rangefinder,hand warmers, camera etc..

when I travel for business I bring a platic flask of whiskey in my checked bags, will they have a problem with that?

I appreciate all ya'lls info - it gonna save me from having trouble on the trip.
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 21:38
you wont be disapointed with the h3's, i would make sure you have your feet taken care of next in the order of importance
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 21:44
Image%20of%20Cabelas%20Predator™%20Extreme%20Pac%20Boots%20-%20Mossy%20Oak®%20Break-Up
this is my cold weather boot of choice  and they are less than $150, they are called the predator pac boot. very warm boots good price too 1200 gram thinsulate and a 9mm texel removable liner, it also has a pocket in the liner for a hand warmer to sit inside of, it would have to be really damn cold to need to use that with the boot

Edited by pyro6999 - February/02/2008 at 21:45
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 21:47

PYRO, what if I take my boots off when I get in the stand, then put on some big wool socks and put my feet in my boot blankets with a hand warmer?

J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 21:49
maybe, are they the -100 rated boot blankets?? that would be ok i think, if you have to do any walking in snow or water good boots are a must.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 21:53
Image%20of%20Icebreaker%20Insulated%20Boot%20Blanket®%20Overboots
i assume your talking about something like these?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 22:01
yes thats the exact brand I have.

I looked up those boots and I am going spend a little get-away weekend with the wife next weekend in Baton Rouge ( to make up for being gone for 4 months of hunting) and we are going to cabelas and basspro ( and the big mall - there has got to be a place in heaven for me - lord knows I am carring my cross here on earth) , so I plan to look at both the bibs and the boots, so I will update ya'll as to what I do.

thanks again -js
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic