OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

looking for a hunt in the corn belt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: looking for a hunt in the corn belt
    Posted: January/28/2008 at 18:55

I now have some money saved to make a whitetail hunt for a big daddy buck 160+ ( I hope ). can anyone recommend a lodge or outfitter? my budget is 5000.00 or so, canada is not off limits, but I would prefer something I could drive to, so I could haul all my gear and bring my meat home. something that I could drive to in about 16 hours would be great.

thanks in advance -js
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2008 at 22:27
http://www.lostrivergamefarm.com

These guys are mostly put and take bird, but they have done some deer hunting.  They are about an hour outside of Louisville Ky and two hours straight south of Indy.  There are lots of good deer in the area.  The area is VERY gun friendly and a cost effective.  If they ask you were refered by a friend of Tuckers son-in-law.  Five grand would be a lot of money around here.

Western Ky would be ok.  I'd stay out of IL with a gun.  Mo. would be ok.  Why don't you tell us where you think 16 hours would kinda put you on the map. 

The gun reg vary greatly in this region.  Ky and Indiana are both very gun friendly to hunt, but with very differant guns. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Jsimoneaud View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 07:46
thanks Silver, I went duck hunting in IL in 2003, we were right south of Peoria, we were in Liverpool, I made it there in 14.5 hours.

I am looking to rifle hunt or muzzle loader.

I haven't done a bunch of research on state licenses yet, but I think kentucy you have to put it for lottery draw to be able to hunt??
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
cnwrobb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnwrobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 11:58
Jsimoneaud--
Can't hunt in Illinois unless it is muzzleloader. High powered rifles are taboo to hunt with in the Land of Lincoln.  Got an outfitter south of where I live who charges $5000 + to hunt.  He has only killed 1 decent buck in three years of operation.  Illinois has quality deer hunting and if you do your homework, you can find PUBLIC land that produces the deer you are wanting to harvest.  Most public ground is in southern Illinois and has been producing as big a buck as the famous  "Golden Triangle".  My experience is save your money, do some research and find public areas that produce.  Missouri has a gentleman who is out of state who has killed 6 160" with a bow on public ground in as many years.  He hunts hard and back away from the crowded areas close to access points.  Missouri has quality deer that you can take with high power rifle.  Just my two cents.  Personally, I cannot fathom spending $3000-$5000+ to hunt with outfitters who don't have a proven track record that they can substantiate or verify.  Most outfitters in this state have 10 hunters or more for each one who harvest a decent deer.
cnwrobb
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 16:44
I think I would be looking at Kansas, Missouri, and Iowa.  I think in Iowa you may have a problem with CF rifles, but I know it isn't a problem in KS and MO, and both of those states are major big buck producers.  All of those would be well within reasonable driving distance of Louisiana.  In terms of specific outfitters, I would suggest going to a major hunting show in Dallas/Ft. Worth, which is probably the closest cities to you that would host them.  You just missed the Dallas Safari Club show a couple weeks ago, which is a good one for talking to outfitters of all types.  The Texas Trophy Hunters' Extravaganza is in Ft. Worth on Aug 15-17, and it always has plenty of trophy whitetail outfitters represented. 
You can book a hunt at the show, but I would recommend just picking up the brochures from all the outfitters you find promising, call their references and ask specific details about their hunts. 

There are some great trophy whitetail hunts in South Texas as well, but I think the prices are comparatively higher than in the midwest states.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 16:48
I was born and raised in SE Iowa (about 100 miles from Peoria) there were some BIG deer in my area.
The "Albia buck" was killed within a stones throw from where I used to hunt as a kid. 

That said, my "peeps" back in Iowa say N. Missouri is THE PLACE to go for big bucks.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 17:10
Jsimoneud, depending on where in LA you live, you may be closer to Houston than Dallas/Ft. Worth.  The TTHE show will be in Houston on Aug 1.  Check out the link I provided and look under the hunting outfitters tab, where it has a listing of 98 different trophy whitetail outfitters that will be at the show.  The outfitters at the show are not limited to Texas either.  In fact, most of the ones present aren't operating in Texas.

Cheaptrick is right, the southern Iowa/northern Missouri area is known for B&C whitetails.  Good luck on your search!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 18:58
thanks guys, ya'll gave me plenty to start researching.

thanks again -js
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 02:32
Ok, where is your nearest airport? For $5000 you can buy a plane ticket and come shoot some Kudu and a few other things in South Africa!!!
It may just be a bit difficult to get your meat back, but hey for $5000 I will make a plan.
I must say $5000 is a lot of money. In South Africa, as a resident, you can pick and choose for $750 or less.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 07:01
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Ok, where is your nearest airport? For $5000 you can buy a plane ticket and come shoot some Kudu and a few other things in South Africa!!!
It may just be a bit difficult to get your meat back, but hey for $5000 I will make a plan.
I must say $5000 is a lot of money. In South Africa, as a resident, you can pick and choose for $750 or less.

8shots makes a good point, Jsimoneaud.  If you've ever wanted to hunt in Africa, some of the hunts for various antelope species can be done for not much more than a really good hunt here in the states.  Some of the African outfitters will be at these shows as well.
Ted

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 07:36
thanks again guys, I will consider South Africa next time. but this time I really want a trophy whitetail. I have been hunting whitetails all my life and have killed too many to count, lots of bucks, but the biggest I have killed is a 127 B&C, so I have a burning desire to kill a big big boy.
J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 08:20
For that type of money the outfitter you choose should guarantee that the trophy you are looking for is running around in the area you are hunting. Whether you get him or not is up to you.
I was joking about coming to South Africa!! I really hope you find the right outfitter and get a chance at the big one!!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 17:45

thanks guys for all ya'lls input, I am booked thru cabelas to hunt in Manitoba nov 8-16 2008.

I am gonna start spending on hunts and tags instead of gear for the next couple of years.

J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 17:48
Good luck in Manitoba, Jsimoneaud!  There are some fantastic trophy whitetails up there!
Ted

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 17:48
manitoba, should be fun sask. would be another good one as would alberta good luck
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 09:36

How much cold weather hunting experience do you have?  Just saying, be prepared with the best QUIET cold-weather clothing you can buy, and be mentally prepared to get colder than youve ever been anyway.
 Don't let that deter you though, Manitoba grows some monsters, and you will have a great hunt.
ND2000 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ND2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 10:27
I know you already booked, but Saskatchewan is the No. 1 Canadian province, followed closely by Alberta.  In terms of cold, Ronk is right.  I went the week after Thanksgiving last year and the temperature never got above -5F the first five days of the hunt.

ND2000

You either get what you pay for or what you deserve.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jsimoneaud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 11:18
I am not used to that kind of cold, we usually hunt in 30 degree, sometimes 20's

this year I hunted in some 22 degree with snow and I did ok, managed to stay put til 12 noon and then back out to the stand again at 2pm.
I do have Duofold long johns and boot blankets.

the place I am going says they ahve all enclosed stands and lots of them have heaters. I will bring some hand warmers too. Boy it's going to be a long 9 month wait. we have 4 of us going from louisiana, gonna be a bunch of cajuns out of place.

J Simoneaud
IT Security Supervisor
State of Louisiana
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 11:26
you will still need some cold weather gear, its still cold in an enclosed stand especially when the window is open and the wind blows in and hits you in the face, the 80-100 degree temp change from what you are use too in LA is going to be a big deal when its -10 to -25 up in canada, especially if its a humid cold like it is here in minnesota. i hunted in -25 and stayed on stand until almost 1:00 would have helped had i been wearing a watch, but with gear i was wearing it was very easy to do, make damn sure you have some really warm boots, for me nothing makes me give up faster than frozen feet, i wear 1200 gram thinsulate with a 9mm removable liner in my cold weather boots(when im sitting all day) if i know i will be walking around some during the day i can usually get away with a 1000 gram or 1200 gr boot and no liner, i always take two pairs of boots hunting. the next important item i would look at is a good pair of bibs, i wear arctic shield bibs, they are awesome, pretty quiet and very warm, i was so impressed with the bibs i also bought the coat a few days later, i think the whole set cost me like $350-$400  and i can sit outside all day and be pretty comfortable no matter how cold it is.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 12:17
 Your getting some real world cold-weather advice from Pyro there.  I would add that a good pair of big mittens with light or fingerless gloves under them will keep your hands from going too numb to make the shot. Quickly slip your right hand out of the mitten as soon as you see a deer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic