OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best scope for my money

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 17:14
Originally posted by samspade samspade wrote:

Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX III is a great scope that will mount low and their service is hard to beat.
If you plan low light hunting you should also look at the Trijicon 3-9
as its unique glowing post can be seen when others fade out and needs no batteries.
Pay close attention to eye relief with the big 300, as it can bite you, especially if shooting uphill.
Dollar devaluation means a huge premium on European scopes that is
hard to justify on any quantitative basis.

Edited by Skunk - January/30/2008 at 17:16
Let me give you my two scents worth
Skunk View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 19:16
Let me give you my two scents worth
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 19:59
Skunk-man, you are TOO MUCH! J'adore them French license plates!  Excellent  --Ed
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 20:38
dude thats a wyoming plate i lived there most of my life
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 20:51
Hey, PYRO!! I bet it's a SUBLETTE COUNTY plate!! Let's go on down to the Wrangler Cafe and get us a chicken fried steak with Rootman..... we'll have to buy because he shore skunked us!!!  Laugh
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 20:54
hmm i cant read the 23 if it is a sublette plate the picture is too fuzzy, how do you know about the wrangler??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 21:01
I dun et there a zillion-dy times....whilst working in the oilfields. I used to live in Douglas. I use to live in Gillette, Glenrock.....does Wamsutter count? I got married in Esterbrook. My daughter was born in Casper...Bandito 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 21:06
who did you work for out there?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 21:31
Google%20It    Is this a test?    --Ed
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2008 at 06:27
Skunk, That's very interesting, You wouldn't happen to know L-arry would you?
Ed you never said anything about this before, all the crap with L-arry and you stayed in the shadows. We could have used your help!!!!!!

Edited by cyborg - February/20/2008 at 13:09
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2008 at 16:04
I wuz hidin' in ambush.....................Batman          
ncdrummer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdrummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2008 at 17:25
Don't forget about Meopta Meostar!  Great scopes, great prices, you'll love them.  If you don't need too much magnification the 3-12x56 is VERY bright, and you can get it with an illuminated reticle if you like.  30mm tube, too.  Drummer
green-grizzly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green-grizzly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 09:09
I really like the Bushnell 4200 series, especially the Rainguard feature.  I would not buy another hunting scope that didn't have a similar coating.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 09:17
i would, i dont hunt in the rain its to cold during my rifle season for it to rain, the 4200 is a pretty good scope but i would take a zeiss conquest or a kahles kx or a trijicon accupoint over the 4200 all day long, when i compared the 4200 to my nikon monarch, and i know tahqua did the same we both concluded optically its to close to call, but the rainguard is nice if you hunt in rainy conditions no doubt.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
green-grizzly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green-grizzly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 11:22
The Rainguard not only helps in the rain but it helps in the cold too (I know for a fact it gets cold in MinnesottaBig%20Grin).  The 4200 does not fog up as easy in the cold, and it clears up quicker.  I remember one time I climbed this big old mountain to get on a herd of elk, and when I finally got into position my Leupold was all fogged up.  This probably happened because I was breathing so hard after climbing the mountain.  By the time I got my optics cleaned up it was a long shot and the elk had gone over another ridge (I refer to what followed as the longest night of my life).  I don't think I would have had that problem with the 4200.

On of my friends has a Zeiss Conquest, and when I compared the two they seemed almost identical optically.  This was a few years ago, so maybe the things have changed.

I had a trijicon accupoint (the 1-4x) and was quite disapointed.  It was not all that bright and it had a lot of distortion.  Maybe I just got a bad one.  Are they really in the same class optically as the 4200/Monarch?  I had an ACOG and it seemed quite a bit better than the Accupoint.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 12:38
Originally posted by green-grizzly green-grizzly wrote:

I really like the Bushnell 4200 series, especially the Rainguard feature.  I would not buy another hunting scope that didn't have a similar coating.
..............................................................................As a 3x9 4200 owner, I agree! There are better and/or slightly better scopes optically than the 4200 such as Kahles, Zeiss, Meoptas, Swaros, IOR`s and so on!............But certainly, their better optical clarity or resolution over the 4200 percentage wise, is alot lower percentage when compared to the percentage of increased price!......................A $600 Meopta or Zeiss, twice as clear, twice as bright & better than a $300 Elite 4200?... Nope!!!!.......... The tags will still be filled with a 4200 and under any possible weather conditions!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 12:54
Ya but, to brag to your buddies you have a Kahles or a Zeiss is worth the extra cost right Wink

Its just like everything else though, once you hit the point of diminishing return you always start to get less and less improvement for the added effort or cost.
I don't think my 4200 is in the same league as my IOR and Meopta optics, I think its a nice scope but it ended up on my .357 lever gun for a reason.  But that being said I don't think you can go wrong with one for the price.  I think they are built to the exact point where the return you get is in perfect balance with the cost.  It they made them better the cost would really jump up. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 04:12
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Ya but, to brag to your buddies you have a Kahles or a Zeiss is worth the extra cost right Wink

Its just like everything else though, once you hit the point of diminishing return you always start to get less and less improvement for the added effort or cost.
I don't think my 4200 is in the same league as my IOR and Meopta optics, I think its a nice scope but it ended up on my .357 lever gun for a reason.  But that being said I don't think you can go wrong with one for the price.  I think they are built to the exact point where the return you get is in perfect balance with the cost.  It they made them better the cost would really jump up. 
.....................................................................Are bragging rights worth the extra cost in a scope??? Not to me!! I consider bragging rights to mean more in the dept`s of accuracy, caliber, firearm and velocity!!.............At the range, I have seen guys that use the high dollar scopes that can`t group as well as others with the lower dollar scopes!! Unless there is a problem with their scope and mounts, it is certainly they who have the problem and not their scopes!! It is not a matter of affordability to me!............But if a $300 or $400 scope can accomplish the same thing as a $600 to $800 scope, I`ll take the lower priced scopes! The actual percentage of optical improvement is quite small compared to the percentage of increased price!!.....................Without any instigation from me, my little 300 WSM Ruger Frontier compact, along with my chronograph and its readings, attract far more attention at the range than any scope I could possibly put on it! Same with my 375 Ruger! Wink  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 09:20
it wouldnt impress anybody at my deer camp if i rolled up with s&b scope, they dont care, which is why most of them still use 1980's bushnell banners and such, now if i showed up with a high dollar kimber rifle that would make a wave or two. having the most expensive equipment on the planet doesnt make you a good hunter or a good marksman, if you have the skills to back it up it will but if you dont have any of the skills to use with the best stuff money can buy, all you are is a poser who spent a ton of money for no reason.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 11:25
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

it wouldnt impress anybody at my deer camp if i rolled up with s&b scope, they dont care, which is why most of them still use 1980's bushnell banners and such, now if i showed up with a high dollar kimber rifle that would make a wave or two. having the most expensive equipment on the planet doesnt make you a good hunter or a good marksman, if you have the skills to back it up it will but if you dont have any of the skills to use with the best stuff money can buy, all you are is a poser who spent a ton of money for no reason.
..........................................................Very well stated!!!Excellent
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic