OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best scope for my money

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concreteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best scope for my money
    Posted: January/28/2008 at 16:23
I just picked up a 300 weatherby mag and i am looking for a scope. I live in California and I am new to hunting. I hunt deer here and also plan to go out of state some day for elk.  I am looking for a good all around scope but dont know alot about them.  I was thinking Leupold but dont know which one. Thanks for the advice.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2008 at 16:28
Welcome to The OT!!

Brother, do you have any certain budget in mind?

Concreteman, huh? Flatwork or vertical??
Hell, I like ya already.  
Wink 
antleraddiction View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antleraddiction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2008 at 16:35
It depends on what you want to spend, but IMO the best overall value is the Zeiss Conquest line of scopes.  Personally, due to game pressure and only low light movement by game in most places I hunt, I am switching out several of my Leupolds to 30mm euro glass scopes for more light gathering in the mornings and at dusk.  The Conquest line can be bought in the $400-$600 range but they only have 1" main tubes.  Still a very bright scope.  Kahles is also a good scope to take a look at.  Possibilities are endless depending on what you want to spend.  GL.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2008 at 17:05
This has the makings of a pretty fun thread!
take em!
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2008 at 18:40
No budget on this one leaves it wide open >>>>  need an idea of how much dinero you have in mind

Edited by martin3175 - January/28/2008 at 18:41
concreteman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concreteman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2008 at 21:42

I would like to spend between 400 and 600 

dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2008 at 23:37
Well if your limit is $600 I would recomend the Kahles 3.5-10x50 Helia KX off the sample list for $599.95, also, as previously said take a look at the Zeiss Conquest line of scopes, great glass and many reticle choices, again cant go wrong there. The only Luepolds that I like are the VX L and the VX 111 but IMO are overpriced when they arnt even close to the conquest much less the khales. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 07:05
http://www.swfa.com/pc-4421-227-trijicon-3-9x40-accu-point-rifle-scope.aspx you can not go wrong with any of the recommendations given, so here is another to look at.....Nice gun and good luck with your choice...
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 07:38
Avoid Leupold!  They don't make "bad" scopes but you can do much beter for the same or less money.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 07:56
Originally posted by dunagan15 dunagan15 wrote:

Well if your limit is $600 I would recomend the Kahles 3.5-10x50 Helia KX off the sample list for $599.95, also, as previously said take a look at the Zeiss Conquest line of scopes, great glass and many reticle choices, again cant go wrong there....

Good luck

I second that!
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 09:15
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Avoid Leupold!  They don't make "bad" scopes but you can do much beter for the same or less money.

i agree with this statement as well, and yes buying a kahles off the www.samplelist.com would be a great option i also agree with the zeiss conquest notion too
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 09:28
If you are thinking about Leupold I would get the 3.5-10x40 VX-III. You won't need extension rings and you can mount it low.
The Zeiss and Kahles will give you better glass, though.

Edited by tahqua - January/29/2008 at 09:32
samspade View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samspade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 10:32
Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX III is a great scope that will mount low and their service is hard to beat.
If you plan low light hunting you should also look at the Trijicon 3-9
as its unique glowing post can be seen when others fade out and needs no batteries.
Pay close attention to eye relief with the big 300, as it can bite you, especially if shooting uphill.
Dollar devaluation means a huge premium on European scopes that is
hard to justify on any quantitative basis.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 10:36
I like the 2.5-8 Leo a lot but it will require extension rings on a .300 Wby action.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 10:37
thats a good point t!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 12:59
I like the Kahles with the heavier reticle for low light in this application. Zeiss would be good as would the Trijicon. Nikon also has some offerings that might be of some interest to you.
Generally speaking low light game movement will require some sort of a heavy post, or Illumination of the reticle depending upon your local game laws allowance for legal hunting times and the type of areas that you hunt in.

Edited by cyborg - January/29/2008 at 13:00
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optimus Prime View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 03:53
Originally posted by samspade samspade wrote:

Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX III is a great scope that will mount low and their service is hard to beat.

Yep, well said Sam!
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 09:17
Look long and hard at the conquest line, great reticle - excellent eye relief - constant eye relief - and good stateside service. I swear by mine for lowlight early and late deer movement.......

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 12:40
With the 300 Wby., you can really reach out and touch something and still have enough energy to do some damage.  At 900 yards with most loads you will have more energy than most standard 30-30 loads at 100 yards.  Therefore, I would up the magnification a bit to maybe 14 to 16 power and choose a scope with at least a 4x erector so that you can still use the scope at relatively short distances.  I have 3 300s and all are scoped differently.  One wears a Trijicon TR-22 2.5x10, another a Sightron SII I believe 4.5x14 and the other an Elite 3200 fixed 10x (the later has had several scopes on it and I have not found a dedicated scope).  The first rifle is a project rifle that I use for black bear hunting in eastern NC and there are going to be no really long shots and the other is an all arounder that can be used for that extended shot.  The Trijicon affords me the light gathering that I need for those low light situations when bear hunting where I do it.  Bottom line, all of the recommendations are good, but would pick out a scope with a higher upper mag. and at least a 4x erector and you will have the ability to have a good all arounder scope.  Now, if you know you will be shooting short distances, thats a whole different story and you can save alot of money on a good quality scope of the many mentioned above.  Another point.  Look through it before you buy it and compare it to others, indoors and more importantly outdoors.

Edited by Dolphin - January/30/2008 at 12:41
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2008 at 12:55
Originally posted by samspade samspade wrote:

If you plan low light hunting you should also look at the Trijicon 3-9
as its unique glowing post can be seen when others fade out and needs no batteries.
Pay close attention to eye relief with the big 300, as it can bite you, especially if shooting uphill.
Dollar devaluation means a huge premium on European scopes that is
hard to justify on any quantitative basis.
......................................................Hey Sam!!!!..........Aren`t you the one that was experimenting with IMR 4007 SSC in your 300 WSM with great results??? Read your posts on another site regarding the 4007!..........Any updated load info with the 4007??? When I use up what I have, that is the next powder for my 300 WSM!......................Sorry to off topic here, but I had to ask!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic