OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rapid Z 1000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rapid Z 1000
    Posted: January/28/2008 at 14:27
Does anyone know what 308 load the rapid z 1000 is supposed to be dead on for?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2008 at 14:58
the reticle is not for a specific load, but was chosen at 1000 yds, increments for 308 long range shooters. because it is sfp it is possible to choose the magnification that will allow a dead on set for certain bars on the reticle corresponding to that range. if you want to go to the zeiss web there is a calculator there that is set up like exbal and allows calibrations of the bars in the same way as exbal.
the 1000 Z reticle has the advantage of having at least  20 moa built into the reticle grid (like nfs) whereas the 600 and 800 are spaced further apart and less moa in the reticle. .

Edited by Dale Clifford - January/28/2008 at 15:07
trigger time View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2008 at 15:16
I'm not sure if I follow you, but the spacing does get bigger say between 1 and 2 and 9 and 10. In other words there is more moa between 9 and 10 than there is between 1 and 2.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2008 at 15:44
you are correct I had to go back and measure them. and they are progressive. none the less they are not set for a specific load. if you check out the calculator it asks for the ballistic data , then calulates a set of conditions that satisfy the crossing pts. of the traj. and the settings on the bars.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 07:10
wow, that makes a good set of 1/4 moa trurrets look relly attractive by comparison....................
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 08:44
and unlike (as an example) the leo varmit bars, set at even numbers, 200, 300 etc, the bars calibration could come out odd numbers 342 yds. , then like exbal , it will give the magnification selector ring to bring the bars back to more familiar numbers. if one has a palm  or hand held computer this can be done while on the mat shooting. It is much llike the leo bas system but more accurate and sophisticated.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 08:46
almost forgot, lymans old folding sight is still available if that turns your propeller.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 10:23
It's realy not that bad. If you figure out where your cross bars are hitting, you can just work up a dope chart and just dial your turret enough to get the retical to line up at that range. In other words if your 10 bar is on at 980 and you need it to hit at 1000, dial the difference in your turret, thus eliminating the need for so much elevation travel in your scope. That was the worst thing about the Zeiss, not enough adjustment.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 11:25
your method is the fastest, and is the one suggested by nightforce, if one knows the moa distance on the reticle use that from the drop chart then only dial in plus or minus a couple of clicks to be right on. the 6x24 is sfp so there is enough turn in the knobs, but the nice thing  is there is enough already in the reticle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 11:31
Right, although it does have to be on a certain power for that to work, or have two drop charts for two settings. Oh, with a little seaching and working the Zeiss calculater it looks like the 175 SMK at 2600 fps is almost perfect with the power set at 19.5, in case anyone besides me was wondering. Trying to get ready for F-Class.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2008 at 08:38
I never worry about the powers that give a more accurate system of reference to even hundred yd. intervals with whatever reticle i'm using. I just establish a system for the highest power and go with it (especially with reticles like this 22 Long Rifle system-- http://www.rapidreticle.com/22lr3-9x32.htm. that i have on an AR-15 that's not even close to matching it's trajectory, or mil-dot reticles). Interpolating between stadia is more accurate than most give it credit for. I've proven this several times with inexperienced shooters. I never have to look up at the optic to see what power it's on. Once the system's established, the dope goes into a Butler Creek scope cap cover, and all i need to do to quickly reference or rereference bullet impact is just glance up to the dope and back to the ocular for my info. No getting out of position to dial or redial, just have to look up then down. Most of the time i don't even have to reacquire the tgt., as with very little practice the FOV doesn't even change. This system has proven itself many times now in the field hunting.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic