OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

LEUPOLD MARK 4 TACTICAL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msantos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LEUPOLD MARK 4 TACTICAL
    Posted: November/12/2004 at 01:48
   I was reading an article  on  a diff. web site I think its 6mmbr.com. They were saying that the mark 4
has a "LASH" problem  with its side focus, is this true and what is a LASH problem,does this affect the scopes performance and quality.And they were also saying  that leupold  mark 4 is not laser etched,is this also true.  Please reply, Iam thinking about getting one.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2004 at 12:59

i have not heard ONE PROBLEM with Mark 4's. as far as im concerned, they are THE BEST tactical scope made, in my dry mind, i prefer them over USO, and nightforce. i mainly dont like nightforce becuase they're japanese made, or atleast parts of them are, therefor they should cost less, and USO is jsut too expensive for what you get, so thats my reason for sticking with MK 4's, and super snipers. and they are wire reticle too, but if there ever a problem with anything, all you have to do is send it to leupold, and you should be shooting wiht it again within 2 weeks.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
killer junior View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 22:44
I just ordered a Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm M1 (illum. mil-dot).  Leupold has been in the tactical scope business for a few decades now, and thousands of LE and military shooters around the world who swear by the manufacturer can't be wrong.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  If you do have a problem, there'a always that lifetime warranty.  

Edited by killer junior
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2004 at 04:14
Originally posted by redneckbmxer24 redneckbmxer24 wrote:

I mainly dont like nightforce becuase they're japanese made, or atleast parts of them are, therefor they should cost less, and USO is jsut too expensive for what you get, so thats my reason for sticking with MK 4's, and super snipers. and they are wire reticle too, but if there ever a problem with anything, all you have to do is send it to leupold, and you should be shooting wiht it again within 2 weeks.

cory

Cory, are you saying you like Loopie over NF because NF uses Jap parts?? Leupold uses Jap. glass too.

Or is the rub because BOTH use Jap. parts and the NF is a little more expensive?? I'm not clear on that

statement.

Less clear with this one....Your not suggesting that wire reticles are superior to laser etched. Are you??    Surely not!!!

While I think a Mark 4 is a good scope, I would take the NSX in a minute. I would like to see NF go to a FFP reticle though....Not trying to spar with you, Cory. I normally agree with you...You like vanilla,I like chocolate... 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2004 at 09:27

i beleave that NF is over priced for what you get, and therefor my arsenal will never have one. i am also aware that leupold uses jap glass, they really should try laser etched reticles too, so no im not suggesting that, becuase etched is superior, but it the wire bubbles out, are screws up, leupold will fix it. leupold should also try something liek the NPR2 reticle. never said the NF isnt a better, its all about how the scope works for you. i just happen to love the MK4 line of scopes, and when i build my tactical sniper rifle, a MK4 will sit on it.

cory

BTW, i do prefer vanilla

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
Howard300 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 13:12

I have both Nightforce and Leupolds.

They are both good, the Mark 4 and the NF.  But, I find the NF superior and the differnece of the price (if you know where and how to shop) is very small ($1250 Vs. $1100, for example).

The laser etched is far superior, the "clicks" are extremely positive, looks are better etc.

Howard300
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 21:06

well, that all depends which scopes youy compare, im comparing the price difference of the 3.5-10x40 leupold mildot, with an equal NF.

cory

Howard300 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2004 at 12:38
Comparing 5.5-22.0 NF (which comes only illuminted) to 6.5-20  Mark 4 Illuminated.
Howard300
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2004 at 15:02

yeah, but that scope can be had from SWFA for less than that. 959.95 for mildot, and 189.95 for illuminated. and i the lowest price i could find that model NF for was a little over $1300, so i dont know where your shopping, ill stick with leupold, and avoid NF, becuase i jsut dont care for them.

cory

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2004 at 14:08

Back lash is caused by slack.  In other words if you rotate the knob clock wise to achieve your initial adjust then need to go back the other way you will need to continue clock wise until you reach the stop, then go back counter clock wise.

Leupold keeps switching around what reticle they use for some reason.  I am pretty sure that the civilian Mark 4 scopes use the wire reticle and all contract Mark 4 scopes use the etched.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2004 at 14:41
Originally posted by Chris Chris wrote:

Leupold keeps switching around what reticle they use for some reason.  I am pretty sure that the civilian Mark 4 scopes use the wire reticle and all contract Mark 4 scopes use the etched.

I can't figure that out!!!!

Etched reticles are the way to go, IMHO. I'ts no contest.
I don't understand why Leupold or Nikon either, has stuck with wire reticles.

Edited by cheaptrick
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2004 at 14:47

doesnt premier reticles use etched reticles, if so, it might be to make them mroe money??

cory

Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2004 at 16:51

From what I read, It's not a Leupold problem but a claimed issue with any side focus as it is inherent with the side-focus mechanism.

Here is a summary of some info I have come across and I have added the word "supposedly" several times:

Supposedly, "AO"s dials are locked in place, and the side focus dials are not locked in place.

With the side-focus, one supposedly should turn the dial all the way to infinity, before going from a close range to a longer range.

This is supposedly because there is a fair amount of backlash or slop in the focus linkage to the focusing cell, so you can set it only from one direction to make sure the slop is always on one side.

If you take out the slack from the other end... the recoil will push the cell back. So you set these dials from the infinity end of their scales.

I have a Mk4 with side-focus and don't experience any issues.  At range, there is more variation on where my eyes and brain decide to set the focus than in the internal mechanism. 

My gripe of the mechanism is that the adjustment is way to course and I frequently "run over" the optimum focus point.

Edited by Boomholzer
Kpfjaeger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kpfjaeger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2004 at 19:17
I just got the Mark 4 M3 10x40 and man....it is CRAZY...i would actually like to put it up next to the Unertl i used in the Marine Corp and see if there is a difference in quality...i highly recommend this one if you are interested in a tactical scope and have a 308, 223, 30-06, or 300 win mag...it's awesome
Marine Scout/Sniper: A Marine highly trained in Field Skills and Marksmanship who delivers long range precision fire on selected targets from concealed positions in support of combat operations.
MikeMiller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2005 at 18:32

I wont get into a pee pee contest over whats better the Leupold or NXS.

I will say this.  Originally the mK4's where called Ultras and came with Glass Etcched reticles. Then about 15 years ago Leupold decided to market them to civilians as MK4s. For the first few years they sold the MK4s with wire reticles and when they brought out the LR series they also marketed them with wire reticles.  Now for many years the MK4s have had GLASS ETCHED RETICLES not wire reticles.  The newer LR Series has Glass Eteched Reticles also. Now all MK4 Scopes, no matter if they are fixed or the Varible power series have glass etched reticles.

This is easy to tell. Here is how.  If a scope has Round Mildots it has a Glass Etched Reticle.  If it has Football shaped dots it is a wire reticle.

As to MK4 versus M40 scopes. No comparison the MK4 wins. Ask anyone who has competed/fought with both.

Mike Miller

Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2005 at 08:45

I was not a sniper, I was an 0311.  I did however work as an armory custodian, and my job was soley to take care of the snipers.  Shortly before I got out we recieved these new rifles.  I think the Army calls them SPR's but we in the Marine Corps called them SAMR's.  Either way the are a hyped up M16.  Now that I've said that the Unertl scope that is used on the M40's are top notch.  I was able to shoot through them.  All the snipers I have ever talked to (which is a lot) who have ever used the Unertl have said they would never use another scope.  Now these SAMR's had MK4's I think the MR's on them and they were pure junk.  I never had any of mine break but my sister battallion's armory had six of these rifles and 4 of the 6 scopes broke on the first field op.  I actually saw the scopes and everything from the variable adjuster, to the illuminator dial was broken.  Hell one of them had the objective housing bent inward.  Don't know how that happened though.  Something like that would only be caused by falling heavy objects.  Nonetheless the snipers in my battallion hated them too.  Those rilfes were rarely used.  Instead they opted for their Unertl mounted M40's.  I for one am not a fan of Leupold either.  They want way too much money for the name I think.  I was also part of the testing on M4 carbines for the Marine Corps.  The USMC wanted to see if they would pan out better than the M16.  We recieved a number of different optics for testing on them too.  We had Hendsolts EOTechs, Trijicon Reflex and Leupold's.  As I remember everyone who was issued a Leupold thought they were pure junk.  I don't know if it was just what they gave to the military or what but I'll never bet my life on a Leupold after my experiences with them.

Edited by Mithran
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2005 at 13:45

Mithran, I dont want to start a pissing contest but I dont agree with what you said. I am a sniper and have used the crap out of both systems.

I have been a guest instructor at the 8541 School at Pendeleton. I have also attended joint training there many times. In addition I did a few years field testing for US Optics and helped with several designs of scope feature for them.  In short I helped them on the M40A4 scope rebuild project. I figured out why the scopes would not work right on the new rifles (30moa base caused bottoming of scope and USO's John Williams God rest his sould figured out how to make it work with very slick design change)  All that has taught me a few things:

Unertal had the best glass available in the early 1980s and was a very good scope.

It lacked Parallex adjustment and this hurts long range groups. 

The original scope had a wire reticle. USO version has improved reticle that should be good to go.

The scopes broke just like everything else does. I think at last count the USMC had sent approx 500-600 scopes for rebuild. Bent tubes, broken reticles you name it.

BDC system is my favorite of any scope.

The Unertal is a pain in the butt to make and parts dont interchange worth a darn. Thats a problem in a military system.

With all that said the Army has handed the Corp its butt in just about every long range shooting event because the MK4/Ultra is a superior scope for sniping. Five seconds to change BDC's and adjustable Parallex. Glass is just as good.

I have used a bunch of MRTs. they work great for what they are designed for. They are not sniper scopes. They are good to go to 700 yards on a SPR. It was designed by a long time sniper and SF Trooper to do just that. He knew what he was doing.

The MK4 M3s and M1's are the field sniper scopes, and the ones I saw on a bunch of USMC Sniper Instructor Personal rifles

Now if you want further support ask Kent Gooch (Former NCOIC USMC Sniper School and US Army Reserve Sniper School, or Rick Bocher who is a long time iinstructor at a little school called SOTIC, US Army Sf Ft. Bragg.

Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2005 at 18:19

I never wanted to get into a pissing contest either.  What I said was my personal opinion and the opinion of a few others I knew.  One of them did say that they liked the MK4's though.  You are right about the Unertl being a pain to find parts for.  I just had bad experiences with the Leupold scopes.  I myself have a Super Sniper 10x42mm which I prefer.  I did a lot of shopping for a scope for my rifle and Leupold was not on the top of my list.  I'm just not willing to pay a $1,000 dollars for a scope, when I can find one that is just as good for $600 less.  Let me know what you think about that SS10x42 I'd love to hear your opinion on it.  I have no doubt that you've done more long range shooting than I did and I'm not questioning your experience, I guess it's just a personal preference thing.

Edit=  I'd also like anyone's opinions or reasons that they'd go for a Leupold MK4 rather than a SS10x42.

Edited by Mithran
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2005 at 00:57

Whats my opinion of the Super Sniper? Well take a look at the fornt page of this website. That photograph is me with one. LOL

Damm fine scope for the money.  Its not as good as a 1200.00 MK4 but for 300-400.00 I dont think you will find its equal.  I just loaned my personal Super Sniper to my best friend, on a 2500.00 cutom GA Precision 308, for him to teach his son to shoot. Thats how much confidence I have in it. Kid wont be able to break it and he will be able to show him how to use it. Only restriction placed is bring it back dirty for me to clean.  Damm good rifle and damm good scope will hold up no problem.

You can read my full review on Snipershide     http://www.snipershide.com/

of Sniper Country     http://www.snipercountry.com/roster/display_reverse.asp

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic