OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Topic: ’08 Deer Season "almost" over: Observatio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Topic: ’08 Deer Season "almost" over: Observatio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Topic: ’08 Deer Season "almost" over: Observatio
    Posted: January/25/2008 at 23:57
I see where the '07 thread has been resurrected. Well, 08 is here and there isn't but 48hrs left in deer season in AL. This year I've been hunting with different scopes from '07.  I sold both my Kahles CL models (incredible scopes; sold them as part of putting together other rifle packages) unfortunately and this season am hunting with Nikon scopes.  On my ABolt .308 there is a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10 50mm w/BDC reticle. My other rifle (a custom .260 Rem) is wearing a Nikon MonarchX Tactical 4x16 50mm w/mildot reticle. While I have been impressed with the quality and performance of the two Nikon scopes, I have to say that the field of view provided by the CL is really hard to beat. "Brightness" is starting to be a relative term to me when it comes to hunting scopes as I took a doe this evening using the MonarchX @ 5:41pm (almost the exact same time as last year during the final weekend. I am beginning to believe that FIELD OF VIEW has as much to do with relative brightness of a scope as glass quality, coatings, etc.  I couldn't see the deer this evening as well as I saw the deer shot at approx the same time last year but I was able to make the shot because the glass quality is there.  However, the shot was indeed more difficult because the field of view is smaller that that provided in the 52mm CL.

I'll have some more observations when the weekend is over come Sunday.  Thanks for reading and enjoy your weekend. 

Edited by ceylonc - January/26/2008 at 00:01
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 09:21
You have to smile when you see a post like yours which illustrates the debate over on the "which one" thread where the opinion of small objectives being much more desirable than the larger ones exists. Yes it is a compromise between design and size or form and function so aptly put in that discussion. I will take function every time.......sounds like you have noticed that difference as well. Good Hunting as you finish out your season friend.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 10:30
Thanks for the report. I'm looking forward to your further observations. I own both Kahles and Monarch scopes and I am going to compare your notes with what I see. Good one, ceylonc.........and good hunting.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic