OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

decisions!!! Help needed........

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: decisions!!! Help needed........
    Posted: March/21/2004 at 19:02

Ok, I've narrowed it down to two.

What is the pros and cons between the Pentax 8x40 PCF WP and the Leupold Wind River Mesa 8x42.

Which has the sharpest view, easiest to keep focused etc.

And last, which would you buy and why.

Thanks,

Tom

wapiti7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wapiti7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2004 at 08:14
Tom, I wouldn't own either one of them! I'm not being negative, but I went through about 4 pairs of binocs before I finally bought my first pair of Leica's. There is no comparrison!! Save your money and buy a pair of Leica or Swarovski's and you will not be dissapointed! I promise...............................wapiti7
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2004 at 11:43

Tom,

The Pentax easily wins this show down.

Both are rubber armored porro prism binoculars with lifetime warranties.  Both are waterproof but the Pentax is actually submersible to 1 meter in salt water allowing them to be washed in a sink if needed.  The Pentax is Fully Multicoated as opposed to multicoated like the Mesa (big difference in low light).  The Pentax uses high quality BaK-4 prisms along with aspherical optical elements for clearer brighter images, enhanced illuminating in low light and minimal distortion.  The Mesa uses neither.  The Pentax has 2mm more eye relief (does not sound like much but it makes a big difference).  Pentax has a focus lock that is really unique when looking at the same distance over and over.  Both have twist out eye cups and both are tripod adaptable.  The Leupold has a one foot wider fielder of view at 100 yards.  The Leupold has a larger objective which translates into a .25mm larger exit pupil.

Overall the Pentax is better constructed mechanically and optically.  Comparing them side by side there is a visible difference worth paying the extra money.

Pentax 8x40 PCF WP.......$168.99

Leupold 8x42 Wind River Mesa......$149.95

tcfeet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2004 at 13:34

Thanks Chris,

Thats what I needed to know.

Thanks again.

Tom

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic