OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Schmidt % Bender scopes, made in Hungary VS German
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Schmidt % Bender scopes, made in Hungary VS German

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cr500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schmidt % Bender scopes, made in Hungary VS German
    Posted: January/25/2008 at 04:19
Ive just been told that I can get the Schmidt & Bender scope I,m after either made in Hungary or made in Germany. The made in Hungary one is cheaper. What is the difference between the two? Are they both the same optics or measurements?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 06:40
I've heard that some S&B scopes are/were assembled in Hungary, but all the S&B's I've seen available here in the states were made in Biebertal, Germany.  S&B bought the optics company who has always been their lens supplier, which is in Hungary, so it doesn't surprise me that they would do some assembly there as well. 

So, although I know nothing about whether some S&B's are currently being made in Hungary or what portion of the scopes besides lenses are made there, I would imagine that the work is probably being done by the lens supplier that they own, the same company that has always supplied their lenses.  Therefore, I would think the quality is probably the same, though there may be a difference in price.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 07:26
My question is who is telling you this?  Have you spoken to the S&B service center for your country?Call
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

cr500 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cr500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 07:34
It was a S&B dealer here, who is an optics enthusiast himself. He gave me the prices, for either a German made scope or a Hungarian made scope. (8x56 with L3 illuminated reticle).
The Hungarian one was 15% cheaper than the German one.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 07:35
Klaus@best.net.nz is listed as the factory NZ sales rep for Oz and NZ on the US web site.  I'd give him a ping and see what he says.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 12:48
Hungarian assembled S&B's were not intended for the US market but do make there way into the states from time to time, this was bothersome to a S&B rep I spoke to in late 2006.
The models include 30MM and 1" illuminated and non-illuminated fix power scopes with idental parts and glass to the german Klassic scopes. The cost savings is in the labor cost. As a US buyer I would recommend to stay with the German US available models in order to insure full service for the life of your scopes warranty and use.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 13:44
Originally posted by cr500 cr500 wrote:

The Hungarian one was 15% cheaper than the German one.

cr500 he should be able to do better, at least 20%.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 15:51
You can find the Hungarian Schmidt and Bender scopes on this UK website:  www.totalfield.com                                     Cheerio, --Ed     007
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic