OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Actions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSvalhalla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Actions
    Posted: January/23/2008 at 22:25

Can a guy buy a Remmy action new from a dealer, just the action?  I know I could buy a cheap ADL, that wouldn't cost much more than the action, but all as I want is the action.

Opinions on best actions for custom BR/tactical rifle (any of them: Bat, kelby, nesika, etc...)  I know the price difference.  Just wondering if I were to get a Remmy, Savage, or Win action and trued/blue-printed it, how much different would it be from the higher dollar ones listed above in terms of accuracy?  Although, after you buy a Model 700 action have a 'smith blueprint it, the prices aren't that far apart.

Thanks
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 09:07
You should be able to call GAPrecision and I'm sure they would sell you a GAP 7000 action or a Surgeon action both similar but better and could almost without a doubt get a Remmington action as well which would need to be trued.

Time is money and you can buy a remmington action and pay to have it trued but I went with the GAP 7000 action and it works just fine. I do like the Surgeon action but dont have one. Why not just let George build you a rilfe.  http://www.gaprecision.net/ and  have Larson Tactical also in Kansas  paint it http://www.larsontactical.com/id17.html

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 09:51
Savage actions are available from the stevens to the three pillar target. They range from $250-375.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 18:30
Originally posted by SSvalhalla SSvalhalla wrote:

Can a guy buy a Remmy action new from a dealer, just the action?  I know I could buy a cheap ADL, that wouldn't cost much more than the action, but all as I want is the action.

Opinions on best actions for custom BR/tactical rifle (any of them: Bat, kelby, nesika, etc...)  I know the price difference.  Just wondering if I were to get a Remmy, Savage, or Win action and trued/blue-printed it, how much different would it be from the higher dollar ones listed above in terms of accuracy?  Although, after you buy a Model 700 action have a 'smith blueprint it, the prices aren't that far apart.

Thanks

Not anymore, at least not to my knowledge. 

If you plan to have a complete blueprint job on a M700 action, in my opinion, you're better off just starting with a custom action in the first place, because when it's all said and done, you will have as much or almost as much tied up in the rifle as if you just bought a custom action and had a custom barrel installed.  On top of that, the finished product won't be worth as much as if you'd just started with a custom action if you ever plan to sell it, because bottom line, you still just have a Remington 700. 

Any of the customs -- BAT, Surgeon, Borden, Kelbly, Hall, Stiller, Nesika, etc. -- are great, and Surgeon, Borden, Stiller, and Nesika make Remington drop-in actions that will fit directly into any stock designed for the Remington 700.  The Stiller/ Viper Predator action is probably the most reasonably priced custom direct replacement for the M700 that you won't have to do anything to.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 19:08

Yes, you can buy remington actions but you will need an FFL to get one, or have one sent to your dealer.  I'll sent you a private message as to where you can get one.  I would list it here but, it may be a limited competetor of swfa, I hope i'm not over-stepping any boundries.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 21:03
Send a PM to me too, because I thought Rem stopped selling new actions only.  Brownells used to carry M700 barreled actions, but they don't catalog them anymore.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Blackbird View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blackbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2008 at 06:04
How about shootin' a PM to me also, with the place to buy a Rem 700 short action. Thanks!
SSvalhalla View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSvalhalla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2008 at 20:04

I've started to get the ball rolling on building a custom rifle.  I have the cartridge narrowed down, now its time to start shopping for the action.  Like what I hear about the custom actions, just trying to talk myself into spending the extra cash.  The gunsmith Im working with tells me to go with a custom action if I can afford it.  I see a lot of very good marksman, BR, F-class, tactical, etc who seem to just fine with a remmy though.  I don't know. 

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2008 at 09:01
the time for the old......
look what henry ford did without an education
and then the look what he could of done with a college education
your call.

almost forgot yogi bera
when you come to the fork in the road you got to take it.

Edited by Dale Clifford - January/29/2008 at 09:03
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2008 at 21:47
Check out the April edition of Shooting Times!
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic