OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Newbie with questions about first real scope....
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Newbie with questions about first real scope....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coastietech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie with questions about first real scope....
    Posted: January/23/2008 at 14:30
So I just got done ordering my new Mini SASSand it will be here on Mon. Now I need to be schooled in optics, rings and bases. I know nothing about any of these things. The only scopes I own are a cheap .22 Simmons scope and a $35 Bushnell 3x9 30mm scope.

Here is what I am looking for, I don't know if this is possible though. I would like a scope that will get me to 600yds if I need to but will most likely be shot at 200-400yds. I would like it to also be able to be quickly removed and replaced without having to re-zero (I don't even know if this is possible, but if it is that's the set up I would like). This way I can remove the scope and use the iron sights in situations where the scope isn't needed, but still be able to quickly replace it without having to re-zero.

I know nothing about which reticles are best. I will be using this rifle strictly for target shooting and SHTF uses. It will not be a hunting rifle so hunting reticles are not very important at this time.

I am looking to spend about $400-500 on the scope, but can go up to about $1000 to get something that will compliment the rifle. I don't know what bases and rings cost so any information on that would be great to.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 15:14

Here is a simple set up for you rifle and you are done.

coastietech View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coastietech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 15:29
I appreciate your advice but I have not interest in any kind of ACOG quick acquisition sights. I plan on this being a long range sub-MOA rifle so I am looking for a scope that will compliment my rifle as such. I am a current coastie, and was previously in the Army, so I know what the quick acquisition sights are capable of and what they aren't capable of and none of the ones I used were capable of sub-MOA at 200 yards let alone 600yds. Thank you again for your suggestion though. 
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 16:13
Maybee this set-up will serve your needs well. You should have a few more fine gentlemen comming on here with thier sugestions soon. Best of luck.

Edited by Trinidad - January/23/2008 at 16:14
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 16:32
Thats a good scope that Trinidad listed. THe IOR
These are really good rings.  I have them on my AR and take my scope off all the time and it always returns to zero.  I think they are much better rings than the IOR quick detach
http://www.swfa.com/pc-6521-123-arms-22h-throw-lever-30mm-rings.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 17:27
SHTF?  That goes a couple of ways and the hunting reticles work for that too.  There is the Meopta R1 in 7x56 fixed that would work well for all sorts of low light senerios, but would not be as handy for close up.  It would make for a nice "light" sniper rig, clear, rugged, and with a good balance between magification and field of view.  How important is being extra close? How important are ranging reticles? 

The SHTF thing means 24/7 all weather to me.  Now, to me that also means I give up some higher magification for close work. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic