OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super sniper durability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super sniper durability
    Posted: January/22/2008 at 12:02

I’ll draw out the way it all took place. On Saturday it was snowing and right around 32 degrees. It was me my son, and a cousin that’s my son’s age (9) .We was in Alabama hunting whitetail deer. We went out for the evening hunt around 3 pm. I didn’t want the young one’s to get too cold. Well anyways around 5 Pm they looked at me and said I’m freezing I can’t feel my feet. About that time I figured out I couldn’t feel mine ether so back to hiking to the truck. When we got to the truck I leaned my gun up against the front tire so I could gat all the wet cloths of the kid’s. So I got the top layer of cloths off them and got mine off and got all the call and rattling stuff I normally tote back in to the right place. I also started the truck for the warm up. I chatted with the kids (boys) about being girl scouts and being COLD and coming out of the woods way to early. I finally got all the stuff put away and hoped in and drive about 100 yards and thought to myself OH SH*% I forgot to get my gun off the tire. I was a little ticked at this time. I spun the truck around in the mud and snow and headed back to get it.SH85 I ran over my gun when it fell it hit the ground at a 45degree angle of my truck. I ran over the receiver and the entire scope. The 37inch tall tire marks were dead center of the gun and scope. I was crushed. I couldn’t stop telling my self how stupid I was. I wiped all the mud and snow off the gun and put it in it’s case this time. Sunday all I could do was think about how stupid I was for monster trucking my gun and wanted to shot it to see if everything was okay with it but I told my wife I would hang out with her all day Sunday. So that meant shooting was way out of the question but Monday I would be at the gun shop all day so I could then. Saturday night I have night mares of how bad thing was going to be at the gun shop and I didn’t sleep at all. Day light finally showed up Monday Morning I get up fix coffee and jump in the shower. Well The coffee filter flops over and runs all the water in the floor. This isn’t looking good. Is it a bad omen? I get the mess took care of and got to the shop about 30 minutes late. When I get there some guys wanted me to take them to the tactical shop up the street so off we go. The whole time we are gone I haven’t said a word about what I did. I even had a good friend call and I didn’t tell him. Sorry bro. finally got back to the shop around 2PM and I have 2 pro cleanings to get done and out before I can test fire my rifle. Well my polishing wheel broke I dropped to springs and a few other thing happen that made me think I was in for the worst. I got the bench setup and out privet range and off to put up a target. Well wouldn’t you know the gun slid off the table on the ground.. I’m sh*#ing golden ester eggs about right now.WHAT ELSE can go wrong got everything setup and settled in for some shooting. The first shoot (KABOOM) HIT DEAD PERFECT. The second shot I thought I missed the paper. I walked down and the hole was ablonged so 2 shots one hole. Not bad. I shoot 10 times with one raged hole. I did a box test and it tracked perfectly. I’m now grinning from ear to ear. This SS10x42 is indestructible. I am truly amazed at how well a super sniper will hold up. I knew it was tuff but come on this is crazy tuff. I would recommend this scope to anyone any time. if it can stay working perfect for me I know it will for anyone who has one or get’s one. I finally did fess up to all the guys in the gun shop. They gave me heck for the rest of the day. They even made me a sign that says BD parking. But they put it about a ¼ of a mile from the shop for some reason.

Thanks for reading this. I know it was long but Oh well i will keep it shorter next time 
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 13:24
Thanks Daddy!
"Crazy tuff"...No doubt! Weight%20Lifter 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
dunagan15 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunagan15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 14:34
impressive
Sendero View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sendero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 18:06
And what was this super sniper mounted on?

One shot is all ya need!

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 23:29
Sounds like a TIMEX

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 02:49
BD,
    what are you trying to do give us Bama boys a bad name, just say the scope took a beatin' and still shoots great!!! Geezz, your worse than my son, "mom, you should have seen what dad let me DO!!!"

Just shoot me now!!!      Head%20Banger
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 07:12
Now THAT is an endorsement I can believe in. Thanks there Bigdaddy. Thunbs%20Up You shoulda been video taping, it would have been a great commercial.
Hey Chris new slogan for the SS. "IT'S CRAZY TOUGH"
Courtesy of Bigdaddy.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 08:53
sendero
It was on a remington 300WM

Steel,
 your kid sound;s like mine.he waits untill we get home and then ask me " dad who was that pretty blonde you was talking to at my school" i'm like dope!!!!!!!!!!

yeah maybe it will not be pushed to back to far for him to see.Hey maybe i'll do a reanactment but i'll need for it to snow again to be 100% authintic.

But honestly ya'll I was TICKED off at my self for doing that.
But I am amazed at how "crazy tuff" this thing is.It's awsome.

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 09:09
Bad thing that happened there BigDaddy! At least it had a good ending.
I have seen this type of thing happen a couple of times. Our usual hunting setup is that all the hunters (which can be from 4 to 8) gather for breakfast or lunch in the field. Typically everyone gathers around the food truck. Someone invariably leans his rifle against the truck, tyre or leans it against a small bush in front of the vehicle. With all the jabbering going on about buck seen or shot this is forgotten and the driver pulls off.... Well, in South Africa there is no snow, and no stock, scope or barrel will come off unscathed if crushed into a rocky patch of Africa!!!
For this reason my rifle stays on my shoulder or goes straight inside the vehicle.
joejitsu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joejitsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 22:39
Wow.... Samsonite Gorilla tough! Awesome that you tested that scenario for all of us. Big%20Grin
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 00:36

Just as a balance to this story, there are limits to the S.S.'s durability. I dropped one that was still in the box from the top shelf of my closet, about 6.5 feet. I have laminate floors, so they aren't too soft, but not like concrete.  As I said the scope was in the cardboard box and had the stock covers on. When I opened the box I found the objective housing had been deformed. Think round with flat side.  It wasn't anything a little gentle reforming wouldn't fix and the scope was certainly serviceable, just dented. It just goes to show that how something lands makes all the difference.

All in all I still think the S.S. is the best value out there.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 13:23
This is birtha

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 13:53
Nice looking setup Bigdaddy! Thunbs%20Up
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 13:58
SWEEEEEET Bro. Real sweet..................Thunbs%20Up
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2008 at 14:15
Thanks,She is in travels to get some new paint. I'll post some more when she gets back.

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/29/2008 at 09:43
nice stick, bigdaddy.

J
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 05:23
Nice looking GUN and SCOPE...
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
tykemp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tykemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2008 at 21:23
How does the JP brake work?  How LOUD is it?
*45-70er*
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2008 at 06:07
TYkemp,

It is not as loud as you would think but it is pretty loud. Its knocked just about all the recoil out of the gun. It's not the most hansome brake to look at but It works as or better than clamed.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic