OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pick a scope, any scope....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntincaleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pick a scope, any scope....
    Posted: November/10/2004 at 21:48
Hello,  I have about $150 to spend on a scope (i know it isn't much) and was wondering if there is a brand/model you would recommend.  I will be mounting it on a Winchester M70 classic stainless 300 WSM.  Thanks!
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2004 at 23:04

For $30-$50 more you could get a Bushnell Elite 3200 in 3-9x40 or a Burris Fullfield II.  I see the Bushnells for $178.00 at Walmart all the time, with the SWFA 110% guarantee that will get you pretty close to your $150 goal.

ranburr

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2004 at 01:06
Generally, I agree with ranburr.  Burris Fullfield II probably has the best performance to money ratio of all scopes out there.
If you have to be under $150 you can try Sightron S1 scopes or Bushnell Legend.  For slightly a little less money you can get a Bushnell Trophy which is also an acceptable scope.  I would certainly discourage you from going to cheaper brands.  To get a Sightron S1 for under $150 you'd probably need to go through Ebay.  Bushnell Legend has a couple of models for less than you limit available at most internet retailers.

Ilya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2004 at 04:49

Both previous poster gave good, solid advise. I would also highly recommend the Nikon Buckmaster.

I'm ashamed of the way I treated my 'ol BM on my .300RUM Sendero. Drug, dropped, beat, banged, abused.  Not to mention what that UM did to it!!

I hated Jap. scopes back then. I thought they were junk. I told the guy I bought the rifle/scope from that the scope would be reduced to little pieces in about a month.

But, it never moved POI, no issues ever. Kept on going!! And I bought it used to boot. Sold it after about a year to a guy here locally, who uses it to "meat hunt" on a .270. 

I had to eat a lot of crow....

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2004 at 16:37

save a little more, and get yourself a good scope, my choice would be the burris FF2. if absolutely nessesary, get the bushnell banner.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
huntincaleb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntincaleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2004 at 21:22
Thanks for the help guys!  There is a local gun shop that has the Nikon Prostaff 3-9 X 40 for $111.00, and the silver version for $121.00, these retail for $149 and $169 at Bass Pro.  In addition, Bass Pro is willing to meet there price.  Is this too good a deal to pass up or should I save up and buy something in the $200 range?

Edited by huntincaleb
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2004 at 23:15

Wait until you can spend a little more.

ranburr

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2004 at 12:53

i ditto ranburr, becuase the prostaff is an ok scope, but buy yourself someting nice, and dont forget the leupold rifleman scopes, and VXI, they're nice too, and rememeber they're leupold.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
trekker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trekker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2004 at 21:13

The best bang for the buck I was able to find was a Sightron SII 3X9X42. $182.15 plus shipping. PM me if you are interested. I just got one and am quite impressed with the clarity and brightness. I also own a Leopold VXIII 3.5X10X40, and I think the Sightron stacks up quite nicely next to it. Just a thought, definitely worth a look. Don't bother with the SI, in my opinion.

Todd

Edited by trekker
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 14:58

well remember, sightron makes leupolds glass, so its pretty clost to a leupold in preformance, but you dont get the warranty.

cory

trekker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trekker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 20:54
Oh contrair, Sightrons have a lifetime warranty. They don't fix your scope, they replace it.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 21:17

not necessarly, they will ussualy fix it, and if they cant, they'll replace it, and also, how fast do they get around to fixing it, and getting it back to there owner. lifetime warranty doesnt mean they'll replace, it, but rather they'll either fix it, or replace it, its there choice. with a leupold, you'll have your scope, or another scope back in about 2 weeks, leupold simply has #1 cust. service.... customer service is to leupold as awesome prices are to SWFA.

cory

huntincaleb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntincaleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2004 at 23:51

Guys,

First, thanks for your help on this!  I went ahead and raided the savings account to buy a Burris FF2 with ballistic plex.  I got it at Bass Pro yesterday (they matched an online price of $198, plus I received the free spotting scope), mounted it last night and sighted it in today.  It's sweet!

I went with the Burris based on a little research and some recommendations by some of you as well as local gun shop.

Thanks again!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2004 at 03:49

I think Burris has a winner with the Ballistic Plex reticle. I looks easy to use and everybody seems to like it.

Good luck and let us know how you like it when you use it... 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
trekker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trekker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 09:53
Originally posted by redneckbmxer24 redneckbmxer24 wrote:

not necessarly, they will ussualy fix it, and if they cant, they'll replace it, and also, how fast do they get around to fixing it, and getting it back to there owner. lifetime warranty doesnt mean they'll replace, it, but rather they'll either fix it, or replace it, its there choice. with a leupold, you'll have your scope, or another scope back in about 2 weeks, leupold simply has #1 cust. service.... customer service is to leupold as awesome prices are to SWFA.

cory

Actually Cory that is incorrect. Sightron does not repair any scope, their warranty is a replacement warranty. You send in your defective scope and they send you a new one. End of story. Don't get me wrong, I love my Vari XIII, but the Sightron costs a bit less than half and is definitely not 1/2 the quality of Leupold.

Todd

Edited by trekker
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 21:05

hmmm... ive never heard this before, do you have a website or anyhting to verify this info, anybody else have any comments??? its not that i ahev any problem being wrong, as i would rather be wrong, and proven right than stay wrong, but ive just never heard of this.

cory

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2004 at 22:19
Sightron mentions their warranty on their website.  I also have their 2004 catalog that states the following:

"...That's right we will not keep you waiting for any repair during those precious hunting seasons.  We will simply replace any product found defective due to workmanship or materials with a brand new product.  Not restricted to the original owner."

You can request their catalog from the website.   www.sightron.com

Ilya
trekker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trekker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2004 at 14:45

Koshkin has it right. My information comes directly from Sightron. Here is my email exchange with them;

Hi,
    Could you tell me more about your warranty? Do you repair scopes? Replace? What about turn-around time?
Thanks,
Todd

Hello Todd:
Our warrranty is a lifetime replacement warranty.  You return your defective product to us and we simply give you a new one.  We do not make repairs.  The turn around time is generally 48 hours unless we are out of stock on your warranty replacement.  Thanks for asking.
Eden

Who out there has a better warranty then that?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2004 at 16:05

thanks guys, thats nice that they do that... i stand corrected

cory

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic