OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR 1.1-4 or Millett 1-4 DMS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR 1.1-4 or Millett 1-4 DMS
    Posted: January/22/2008 at 11:59
My SOCOM has an Aimpoint on it now and I don't care for the Aimpoint at ranges longer than 100 yards.  As this is about to become my guide gun for hog hunts, I need a better solution for "up close" and 200 yards.

Does anyone have experience with both these optics?

I hear lots of good things about the Millett, I hear nothing about the IOR.

Since the Millett is so much less, I might start down that path.  Anyone have a Millett on a SOCOM?  Eye relief issues?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Anyone know if the Milletts are in stock
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 12:13
Hello RC

Here is my pick.

8218 Kahles 1.1-4x24 Helia CSX 51806, Matte finish, illuminated circle dot reticle, 30mm tube, fast focus eye piece, close to new condition. $1,657.00 $899.95

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 13:13
Meopta also makes some low power variables that is kind of in between the prices of the other two.  I have not used any of these particular scopes but have several other Meopta products and the glass and quality is very good.  I think the glass looks as good as my IOR scopes.
http://www.swfa.com/c-1134-meopta-meostar-r1-rifle-scopes.aspx

Another big optics dealer did some testing and review of them on Snipersparadise and he really liked them especially for the price. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 20:11
IOR is a better scope, but also a much more expensive scope.

As is always the case with optics, figure out your budget first.  Millett is a good scope at a nice price point.  If you are trying to spend less than $300, then it is your only choice.  Once you move up in price you have more options like the IOR and Kahles CSX off of the sample list, along with a Meopta Meostar 1-4x22.

What rifle is this going on?

ILya

Edited by koshkin - January/22/2008 at 20:13
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 20:38
Koshkin,

it's going on a SOCOM II which means it has t have more eye releif than 4 inches.

My present problem is that the forward rail (on which I will be ounting the optic) ends 11 inches from my eye.  So, I can mount the scope a few inches aft of the rail's end, but can't get to a 4" eye relief.

I looked at Fulton's cartridge clip guide mount but don't think it will be exactly online with the integral rail.

At the moment, I seem to have 3 choices:
1.  Spend $700 on a new stock for the rifle that includes a longer top rail.
2.  Buy a less-than-optimal "long eye releif" scope - like a handgun or scout scope (neither good for CQB)
3.  Leave the Aimpoint and accept that 200+ yard shots are not gonna be precision.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Someone has to have run into this before.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 23:50
I am not aware of any regular scope that has enough eyerelief to work on SOCOM's forward rail.  That rail is designed for a scout scope or a red dot sight.  Neither Millett nor IOR you are considering will work on a forward rail. 

As you have correctly pointed out scout scopes will not work all that great for CQB, and red dot sights are not very good past 200 yards.  You'll have to figure out what is more important to you.

Also, you can have both in QD rings and use them interchangeably depending on what you plan on doing.  If you decide to get a scout/pistol scope, Burris 2.75x20 scout scope has a fairly heavy reticle and is a little faster than competing designs.

Also, while Aimpoint is a very nice red-dot, both Eotech and Millett ZoomDot work a little better at longer ranges since you have a smaller aiming point (1 MOA center dot for the Eotech, and a variabe size dot for the ZoomDot).  After playng with some red dots recently, I ended up keeping the ZoomDot and selling my Aimpoint.

A third option is a variable pistol scope with a low end close to 1x (something along the lines of Burris or Weaver 1.5-4x20).  Unfortunately most of these scopes have pretty thin reticles and I am not aware of many with illumination that could speed things up (there is a Burris 2-7x32 pistol scope with Electro-Dot reticle that you can try).  Also, these usually have parallax set at 50 or 75 yards.

Finally, if you think that a regular scope with a longer than 4" eye relief might work (although that seems very doubtful to me), Leupold FX-2 2.5x20 has eye-relief in excess of 5 inches, as do Burris Short Mag scopes (4x20 and 2-7x26).  Sightron S2 4x32 is up there as well.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 07:32
I appreciate the help - and the obvious thought that went into your post.  I had come to mostly the same conclusions.

I contacted Springfield Armory and have asked if I can get their extended rail and mount it myself.  With the extended rail, all options are available.  Without it, I am stuck with - as you said, either 2 optics, or dealing with 200 yard shots not be precision fire.
army_eod View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote army_eod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 12:40
For God's Sake, RC....I have fired the SOCOM.  The recoil is nil.
All you need are the stock irons.  We were killing the steel out to 250 yds standing offhand.
I would love to have the SOCOM.  One day soon I will.
Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.

Niccolo Machiavelli
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 13:06
The eye relief is not about the recoil, it is because of how far forward he has to mount the scope.  The stock mount is in front of the bolt.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
CowboyBill View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CowboyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2008 at 13:11
Hey Rancid, any word on that extended rail? I'm interested in this project.
A horse may be an outdated mode of transportation, but you don't buy hay by the gallon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 20:35
For the extended rail, you send your gun to SA, it costs about $550 - they will not let you do it yourself.

My new plan is the LaRue SPR mounted backwards and a Millett DMS - both on their way.

there are a few options (Gen3 rail, stripper clip guide-mounted rail, etc) but none was very good.  And if i were to spend that kinda money for the rail, I'd spend the additional $15o for a SAGE.)

I''ll post pics when the whole thing is done.

And yes, it ain't about recoil.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2008 at 20:42
Is the ejected brass going to hit the scope?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2008 at 16:24
Damn, I hope not!

The Gen 3 comes down lower than the LaRue will.  I have seen the setup (LaRue SPR, backwards mounted, with scope) on a SOCOM, don't know if it functioned but it looked like it should.

If it doesn't work, I'll have a DMS and LaRue for sale soon - will post pics when I ahve them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2008 at 19:26
Shot it today, worked like a charm!

No problems with the brass hitting the mount, everything cleared.

It might well be the perfect hog gun now.

Pictures later
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2008 at 07:11
Oh yeah!!!!! We NEED those pics. I'm looking forward to them RC.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 12:39
Finally, life slowed down enough to take a pic or 2 of the setup, sorry for the delay.  Also, no crap about it not being in deepest, darkest outback at time of photography, please.

One thing you will notice is that the line of sight is now higher than with irons or Aimpoint, that is being addressed today with a Karsten cheek piece - which I would highly recommend to anyone in need of a good cheek piece for better and higher cheek weld.

I like the LaRue, it's good gear.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 13:32
Nice set up!
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2008 at 15:04
Nice rig, what caliber is it? Have you had a change to shoot hogs yet with it before the scope?
Thanks Duce Smile
Duce

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2008 at 19:56
It is .308 - since that is the caliber I know the best and reload for with greatest ease.

Yes, ol' girl took a 175-pound mom, babies scattered.  The nice thing about this is that I can put 2 rounds in the big nasty immediately without working a bolt or coming off the site.

It was too late to get pics, but she dropped with the first round and didn't really mind the second too much.  That was with the Aimpoint on and the shots were taken inside 100 yards.

Now, I want to try for a 200+ yard shot and try to place the shot better than I could with the Aimpoint.

For that, there will be pictures.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 08:41
Nice RC, Looks real good bro.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic