OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rem 700 CDL SF Limited Edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2008 at 17:00

you feeling ok?

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
highgirls View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highgirls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2008 at 17:13
I'm told I "feel" fine.
(bad pun)
Blonds have more fun!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2008 at 17:21
i wouldnt argue with you that the pre64's are good but the newer m70's are nothing like the new m700's with the xmark pro trigger.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2008 at 22:37
Whenever I'm faced with such a gut-wrenchingly difficult dilemma... I just end up buying BOTH!Loco
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2008 at 23:34
Originally posted by highgirls highgirls wrote:

I stand corrected. Glad to see Remington has seen the errors of its past.
But it's still not a Model 70.

No it's not, for example it's safety would stay where you left it and not jumping forward when it most like it.
I have had one Win m70 and one of my commercial Mausers have had a Dakota m70 safety, NEVER AGAIN.
I really like the idea with a safety that locks the firing pin, but the Win m70 solution is really the worst.
Schultz Larsen, Weatherby and Sako 75/85 have made their solutions to the problem far betten than Win m70 and all its clones had.

Regards Technika
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 00:07
Originally posted by www.technika.nu www.technika.nu wrote:

I have had one Win m70 and one of my commercial Mausers have had a Dakota m70 safety, NEVER AGAIN.
I really like the idea with a safety that locks the firing pin, but the Win m70 solution is really the worst.
Schultz Larsen, Weatherby and Sako 75/85 have made their solutions to the problem far betten than Win m70 and all its clones had.

Regards Technika

You're definitely in the minority in that view, as it's certainly copied on more different rifles more than any other safety design ever.  That wouldn't be the case if it weren't highly regarded and very popular. 

I currently have 5 rifles with M70 style 3 position safeties and none of them "jump forward" nor have there been any functional issues with them.

I do like the Sako safety with the separate bolt release button, but I still prefer the M70 style design, which features a very simple, foolproof cam that engages a detent directly in the rear of the firing pin.

I think the problem you described with yours is probably one of poor parts fitting rather than poor design.  If I correctly understand what you are saying about the firing pin or safety lever "jumping forward," this is usually due to improper fitting of the mating parts, specifically the cocking piece surface where it engages the sear needs a slight amount of material removed so that the firing pin spring isn't compressed too far when the bolt is cocked, causing the cocking piece to move forward slightly once the safety is released.  The cam on the safety should properly engage the slot in the cocking piece and should take the load of the firing pin spring when in the center position without causing the firing pin to drop more than a couple 0.001" forward when the lever is pushed into the fire position.  I've installed quite a few of the 3 position safeties, and all it takes to make them function flawlessly is some careful fitting.

Edited by RifleDude - February/19/2008 at 00:08
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 07:20
i would certainly like to have conversions installed on my rem actions to have the win 3 position safety
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 07:48
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i would certainly like to have conversions installed on my rem actions to have the win 3 position safety

Not me, nor will I change my three positions over to the Remington. I can live with all the safeties on my guns.
The only problem I have had with a safety was with both of my Winchester 101's and it wasn't a safety issue. The safety is also the barrel selector. These particular guns get stuck between the upper and lower position. When you need to snick it off it won't budge.
All other safeties I can live with. I constantly check them when in the field, regardless.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 07:51
the reason i said that t was because i grew up with winchesters and they are juts comfortable to me, where the two positions like browning and remington have arent, not that i cant live with it but ruger an win safetys are just familiar to me, not only in function but also in location on the rifle
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 08:01
Speaking of safeties, the old Ruger and the Browning tang safeties were always fairly quick and quiet to use. You have dealt with both, what do you think?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 08:05
i like the browning safety more than i like the rem safety i will tell you that, my thumb naturally gravitates to the area where the browning safety sits so it was good, if rem safety was in the same place it would be better, probably enough so i wouldnt mind it being a two position.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 10:00
The actual design of the safety is not that big a deal to me either, provided it works as intended.  A mechanical safety is no substitute for safe gun handling anyway.  I do prefer any safety that allows for both locking the bolt and unloading the rifle while "on safe" though, whether it be a 3 position type or one with a bolt unlock button.  Mechanically, I prefer a safety to lock the firing pin rather than the trigger components, because it just seems to me a more positive way to do things.  The safety design or location is not a deal breaker for me one way or the other if I really like other aspects of a rifle's design.

I will say this, the only safety I've seen that I just absolutely detest is the one used on the new Mauser M03.  Its safety is a very cumbersome toggle switch type lever on the back of the bolt shroud that is stiff to operate, very slow to disengage, and uncomfortable to operate from a shooting position. 
This is a shame too, because the rest of the rifle seems pretty well executed and thought out to me.
Ted

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2008 at 10:59
I had a M70 once..........
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic