OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking For info on R700

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R700VTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking For info on R700
    Posted: January/20/2008 at 16:08
Hey guys Brand new to your forum but Ive been Browsing around and seems like there are some people with good info on here. I am looking for a good set of base mounts for the R700. I just picked up a r700 VTR to give it a test. Seeing if its going to be a proven rifle like the following r700's. Im looking for a two set picatinny mount and as for rings I havent clue. Im looking into a Burris Fullfeild or a falcon menace Scope. I havent heard too much about burris's but id like any input from all of you.
Plans to build a m40a3 with this new VTR wish me luck.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 12:53
Welcome to The OT.

Do you want a 1 piece or 2 piece base? I couldn't follow your post.
Some prefer a 1 piece rail like myself, some a 2 piece.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 13:28
It looks like you are looking for a two piece picatinny mount.

There are a few options.

IOR mounts are pretty good:  http://www.swfa.com/pc-10246-443-ior-heavy-duty-tactical-2-piece-base.aspx
and have an extended version that some like:
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12311-443-ior-heavy-duty-tactical-2-piece-base.aspx

Burris Xtreme Tactical bases are cheaper and seem decent:
http://www.swfa.com/c-190-burris-xtreme-tactical-2-piece-bases.aspx

If you decide to go with a one piece base, there are many good options in a number of price ranges.  Lately, I ahve been playing with a new Millett picatinny base on my Savage and it seems very well machined and inexpensive:
http://www.swfa.com/c-1660-remington.aspx

slightly more expensive Warne has been good for me as well:
http://www.swfa.com/c-1773-remington.aspx

ILya
R700VTR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R700VTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 10:11
Thanks, that helped alot. I was indeed talking about the two piece picatinny mount instead of the one piece. Dose anyone have and input or opinions on the two optics I listed?
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 11:22

I've read favorable reviews on the Falcon scopes, but I think I would lean toward a Super Sniper from SWFA, for less money and (most likely) better Customer Service.
 Never been a fan of Burris, but some here like them a lot. 

BTW, the first link Koshkin provided shows a photo of a two-piece base for something other than a 700 Remington, even though it's labeled as such, on the store website.
"fits 700 Remington".  ( No, they won't. One might, but they aren't a pair for Remington's receiver contours or hole spacing.)

Edited by RONK - January/26/2008 at 08:54
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 14:30
Burris makes good scopes.  They have some of the best buys in their price classes.  I like them.
R700VTR View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R700VTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 17:38
Thanks Agian guys your help has been a help. Im gonna go with the Sniper Central.com 22MOA Canted bases. As for the scope im waiting for the release of the 4-14x44mm Menace by falcon optics. Cant wait to put this all together and see how the end results come out. Also looking into a Mcmillan a5 stock. Over all it should be a  proven rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic