OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need help in choosing a pair of binos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help in choosing a pair of binos
    Posted: January/19/2008 at 16:07
I usually lurk on the riflescopes forum and have learned a lot from the members over there. 

I am looking for a pair of binos for low light use while deer hunting in eastern Carolina. My 30.06 Ruger #1 has a Kahles 3x9x50 Multizero and my Tikka 7mm08 has a Kahles 4x12x 50 KX. I want something to compliment the quality and low light capabilities of my scopes.
Both scopes are awesome in low light, but my cheap binos have become dead weight since switching to Kahles.

I know nothing about binos and have a budget around $700 - $800. Got the KX off the Sample List where the service was awesome. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy hunting.
bms View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 20:33
Hey Stilhuntin,
I am in the same boat and just broke down and got a pair of Swaro binos off the samlpelist after getting a Kahles 3-12-56 with illum.off the samplelist. The pentax binos i had were equal to my scope and it was not enough.This is the place for some great help. The samplelist still has some great deals but some are a tad more than you had quoted. Keep in mind that they will pay for themselves in the long haul.
Bonefish View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 20:41
Hey Stillhuntin,
    I also have a Ruger #1 and am looking at a new scope. Did you find the Kahles hard to match up considering the 50mm objective. Does it work well for you?
Bonefish
"Every one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others"
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 09:00
It sounds like you need a very god quality 7x42 or 8x42. I would try to find a Swarovski SLC 7x42 or a Leica Trinovid 7x42 or 8x42 on that budget.
stilhuntin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 17:11
Hey Bonefish,

I have had the Kahles MultiZero on the Ruger #1 30.06 for two seasons now. Set the zero two years ago and it has been dead on since. It sets up quite nicely for me and the optics are great.  The scope saved me some cash the past two years by not shooting marginal bucks on the property we lease. The Kahles is a significant step up from my Burris FF 2 which I think is a very good scope for the money.

I would recommend Kahles to anyone and I really like the Kahles KX I purchased off the Sample List this year. I do not see a need for the side focus (like the MultiZero) in hunting applications.

Hope this helps
Bonefish View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 14:39
Hey Stillhuntin,
    Thanks for the response. I just ordered a Kahles 3.5-10x50 AH from the list. I plan to put it on my Rem 700 after having it custom dipped in camouflage coating. At $519, I think it is a great buy. If I like it, then I will find another Kahles to go on the #1. I have never owned a first line scope, only less expensive but workable optics. I have hunted with the 700 and an old Herters 4X since 1968. It has never let me down and brought home the meat every year. I can't wait to try it with the finest optics.

Bonefish
"Every one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 16:33
Originally posted by stilhuntin stilhuntin wrote:

I know nothing about binos and have a budget around $700 - $800.

Given that budget, I would get the Vortex Razor 8X42.  I own one, and it is an awesome binocular in every respect.  Optically, it is comparable to other roof prism binos costing $1200+.  It is every bit as good as my Leica 8X50 Trinovid.  Don't just take my word for it, do a search on this forum and read the comments from others who either own it or have used it.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 18:41
I dont own them, but looked through them at factory.  They are fantastic..............
Refrax View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Refrax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 16:10
Stilhuntin,

Since you seem to be a Kahles guy, why not take a look at their binoculars?  They're pretty darned good.  However, a better bang for your buck might be the Minox HG or Pentax DCF ED or DCF SP.  The Minox HG and Pentax DCF ED are both awesome for the price!

Good luck in your quest!
Refrax
o^o
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic