OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meopta Artemis vs Meostar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 09:12
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

...and the only difference is one is made with steel tubing and the other is made with aluminum tubing.  I am a pretty stout fellow and if you are in NC like I am, eastern part, we hunt stands, so weight, especially that small of an amount is not a concern. 

I don't have any experience with Meopta scopes, other than looking through them inside stores, but I can comment on steel vs. aluminum alloy tubes.  As you stated, the difference in weight isn't very significant, but one thing that may be worth consideration is finish durability.  An aluminum tube scope will have a hard anodized finish, whereas a steel tube scope will be a sprayed and baked on finish.  The anodized finish on aluminum scopes is a little more durable and scratch resistant than the painted finish on the steel tube scopes.  If any of the finish on a steel tube scope flakes off, it can also potentially rust.  This may not be a huge concern; if you're careful not to get your scope scratched up, the steel tube should be fine.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 16:29
Good point.
ncdrummer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdrummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 17:56
Yeow!  I must have struck a nerve with the "optics scale" post!!  And yes, my "old eyes" are bionically assisted and include both brightness and sharpness meters.  In case you couldn't read between the lines, my post was LARGELY tongue-in-cheek.  Gotta keep this stuff light, you see, for fear we would actually start believing one another!  Peace.  Drummer
ncdrummer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdrummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 18:01
Gosh.  One more thing.  My opinion, like most posters here, is unbiased.  I don't care what scope anyone buys, or if they prefer to use receiver sights, or throw a boomerang for that matter!  I don't work in the optics business.  I do shoot a lot, and enjoy passing my experiences along to other shooters.  Fortunately for me, lots of other shooters feel the same!  I read and listen.  I learn.  I develop opinions when appropriate and post away.  Now where are those lips?  They're nice looking.  Drummer
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 19:08
Bucky
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 19:30
Originally posted by ncdrummer ncdrummer wrote:

Gosh.  One more thing.  My opinion, like most posters here, is unbiased.  I don't care what scope anyone buys, or if they prefer to use receiver sights, or throw a boomerang for that matter!  I don't work in the optics business.  I do shoot a lot, and enjoy passing my experiences along to other shooters.  Fortunately for me, lots of other shooters feel the same!  I read and listen.  I learn.  I develop opinions when appropriate and post away.  Now where are those lips?  They're nice looking.  Drummer
............................................................ncdrummer!..........For some real good lip service,,,,please look to the left!!!!...You asked for them, so I aim to please!!!!Big%20Grin Whistling Love  Kiss  Quickie
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 11:13
what's weird is that those are ACTUALLY big squeeze's lips. Shocked

J
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 15:27
Originally posted by jonbravado jonbravado wrote:

what's weird is that those are ACTUALLY big squeeze's lips. Shocked

J
..........................................................Does that mean you would kiss me???Big%20Grin
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2008 at 15:37
my wife would kill me and then spread rumors, ima have to pass!!!! Wink
grouper sandwich View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grouper sandwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 19:03
Hey guys, I'm new here.  Just registered after finding this thread on google.  Did anyone ever determine the difference between the Artemis and the Meostar?  I've got a Meostar 3-10x50 and it is an EXCELLENT scope.  I'm eyeballing an Artemis 3000 (3-9x42) but I can't seem to figure what the difference is between it and a Meostar.  Anyone know?
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 19:48
The Meostar is the Newer Model with supposedly Better, Newer lens coatings and with an aluminum tube. The Artemis is the Older Model from the ninties, steel tube, with the former lens coating. I understand that both are very nice, but the Meostar is supposed to be very bright indeed.   --Ed
nzspearo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nzspearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 02:58
There are a few different artemis models out there - not all are steel tubes. From the catalogue I have at home, this is what I can recall (will check tonight when I get home and edit if I have been mistaken):

Artemis 2000 - Steel Tube
Artemis 2100 - Illum version?
Artemis 3000 - Aluminium Tube
Meostar - Aluminium Tube

nzspearo
<><...<><...<><...<><... <><...<><...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 04:06
Meostar and Artemis have dfferent optical systems, different glass and different coatings.  Meostars are better.

Also, I recall earlier in this thread someone saying that Zeiss does the coatings for Meopta.  THat is the first I hear of that, and I would be surprised if that was correct.  Meopta does make the glass for Conquest scopes to Zeiss' spec, but Meopta's own scopes have nothing to do with Zeiss.  As a side note, Meopta is the largest contract optics manufacturer in Europe.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grouper sandwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 05:46
Thanks Koshkin, that's what I was looking for.  Here's anohter question for you.  If someone put a Zeiss Conquest on the counter next to an Artemis (both in 3-9) and said pick one, it's yours...which one would you take?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 08:15
conquest, without a doubt.

if it were a MEOSTAR and a conquest - the decision would be a little different - as the glass is really close on both - the slight advantage would go to conquest for eye relief.

J
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grouper sandwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 08:59
So does that mean you'd pick the Conquest over the ARTEMIS?  I have a Meostar 3-10x50 on my 25-06 and it's an incredible scope, and if the choice was between a Meostar and a Conquest you're correct, it would be an no brianer since I already know where BOTH of those scopes stand.  But, the choice is between and ARTEMIS and a Conquest, both in a 3-9 platform. 
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 10:02
I would pick the Conquest because of the eye relief.... I think Meopta's are on the short side when it comes to ER!
take em!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grouper sandwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 10:25
OK, just a side track here, but what is evryone's big issue with eye relief?  I'm new to the Optics forums, so you guys will have to cut me some slack, but I keep seeing "longer eye relief" brought up as a reason not to buy scope brand X,Y, or Z.  I never relized, I suppose, that eye relief was that big of an issue.  I prefer the shorter eye relief of my Meostar because I like to creep up the stock and I can't do that with long ER.  In 30 years of shooting, I've never been whacked by a scope.  Anyway, I guess what I'm looking for is "optically speaking" which would someone choose, the Conquest or the Artemis?  So far I can only determine that the Artemis is a step down from the Meostar and some people like a longer eye relief than a Meopta offers.  Throw eye relief out the window, it doesn't exist for this argument.  Besides, if my 22-250 tags me with 3" of eye relief I've got bigger problems than having chosen the wrong scope.Shocked

I just thought about something here, I posted all of this on a thread entitled "Artemis vs. Meostar.  I guess I should've started a new thread about Artemis and Conquest.  Oooops.Whacko
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 13:12
Originally posted by grouper sandwich grouper sandwich wrote:

Thanks Koshkin, that's what I was looking for.  Here's anohter question for you.  If someone put a Zeiss Conquest on the counter next to an Artemis (both in 3-9) and said pick one, it's yours...which one would you take?

Conquest over Artemis.

Meostar over Conquest if eye relief is not an issue.

IOR over all of the above.

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 14:05
Originally posted by grouper sandwich grouper sandwich wrote:

........  I prefer the shorter eye relief of my Meostar because I like to creep up the stock and I can't do that with long ER.............  

It's so funny how different folks like different strokes......... I want the longer ER so I don't have to creep!  To me "creep" is a BAD thing..... really bad thing!

Since ER isn't an issue then....... I'd want to look thru them side by side and then decide which I like best!
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic