OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Meopta Artemis vs Meostar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meopta Artemis vs Meostar
    Posted: January/19/2008 at 14:46
I know the Meostar is more expensive than the Artemis, but can anybody elucidate the major differences and if there is a major difference in the optical quality?  I hear more and more about the Meopta scopes and have gotten interested in them.  I love the scopes I own, but I am always looking for something different.  Thanks for the help in advance.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 17:36
I have looked through both and to be honest, there is not alot of difference to my eyes!...........Although very good glass, I have two objections with the Meopta scopes!! First is the excessive weight and the second is their, compared to most scopes including the 4200, their shorter eye relief.............No doubt, they are very well built, but they would not be condusive for hunters interested in keeping the weight of their rigs down! 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 17:40
good glass is heavy look at nightforce and s&b plus i believe they are 30mm tubes, well at least one of them is
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 17:45
Artemis 2000's are steel tubed, also.  The Meostars are aluminum.
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 17:46
Yeah!.... I`m aware of that! But there are a few other lighter alternatives which are just as good and with more eye relief!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 18:43

[ Lookit them lips! Holy Mackeral!]      Bucky

ncdrummer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdrummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 18:43
How much eye relief do you need?  I shoot a 5-R MilSpec .308 and have a Meopta Meostar 4-16x44 up top.  I believe it is one of the clearest and brightest tactical scopes you can buy, especially for the money.  It performs very near or equivalent to (better than, maybe?) Swarovski levels IMHO.  It blows Nikon, Burris, Leupold, Bushnell, Millett, etc. off the planet; a whole different league.  I have never gotten magnum eyebrow with it, and all my buddies who don't already have one continually try to steal it.  Granted, the 5-R is a heavy rifle, so let's take a look at a light one:  I also have a 3-12x56 R1 on a Remington model seven SS Magnum 7mm SAUM.  That little baby kicks like a mule with big bullets, but still no problem with eye relief and the scope is listed at only 3.2".  Maybe the extra couple of ounces helps out a little on this rifle.  Anyway, I believe Meopta is conservative in their specification print, unlike so many of their competitors.  BTW, the 3-12 is lighter and shorter than the Zeiss Conquest.  Brighter and clearer, too, and both are on 30mm aluminum tubes.  And the Meostar is lots less.  A word of caution:  once you drive down Meopta Boulevard you may feel compelled to upgrade a few of your other scopes...   Drummer
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 19:10
Quote How much eye relief do you need?

I draw the line myself at 3.5" minimum. They may have slightly better optics than a conquest (that seems to be a matter of personal opinion however) they are both rated at 7.5 on the optics scale, Zeiss does the coatings on their lenses in fact. 3.2" doesn't do it for me.....

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 19:25
With FOUR INCHES of eye relief,  I need to shove the dang scope all the way forward until it hits something so that the ocular end is flush with the back end of my bolt shroud! THAT would be just fine for a 340 Weatherby or a 375! But why on earth is everybody in the world trying to RE-INVENT the riflescope? Who needs FAT EYEPIECES? Is it too much trouble to unlock a locking ring ( 2 seconds) and turn an ocular till your reticle is focused ( maybe 20 seconds if you're dilly-dallying) and then tighten the ring again...and then LEAVE IT ALONE for the next ten years!?

NOW we got ANOTHER WRINKLE---SIDE FOCUS!! All of a sudden every shooter on Earth can't shoot a deer without a parallax adjuster--because every scope is now a 2X to 30X!!!
AND they weigh 22 ounces!! Cussing

(....'and how was your day?' )     Big%20Smile           ( dos pesos...)      --Ed
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 19:44
Wow Ed! Bad day?

Focus :>)

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 20:02
    Hiding
ncdrummer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdrummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 23:35
You guys keep me in stiches.  Really! 

But... 

on the optics scale?  And which testing lab takes responsiblity for what I am sure are purely objective ratings?  Not marketing guys for certain.  I mean, no self-respecting marketing guy would EVER put his name on something that has high margin just to sell it, would he???  Because I am a marketing guy and also a bit of a statistician, I never trust that kind of stuff in any business.  Show me the data, and I'll consider it.  But even great data can be twisted.  Reminds me of when I was a corporate weenie.  I asked out new CFO one quarter what he thought our EBITDA would be.  He replied, "what would you like it to be?" 

When it comes to rifle scopes, you have to buy what you like and can justify buying!  I own several Conquests.  I like them all.  I just don't believe, according to the feedback that comes from my tired eyes, the optics are as good as my Meostars!   

That's it.  Peace. 

Drummer
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 06:59
" ....We don' gotta show you any steenkin' DATA!"   Bandito
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 10:30
So, NCDrummer, do you think the Artemis has the same optical quality that the Meostar does and the only difference is one is made with steel tubing and the other is made with aluminum tubing.  I am a pretty stout fellow and if you are in NC like I am, eastern part, we hunt stands, so weight, especially that small of an amount is not a concern.  Usually 3 inches of eye relief is fine for me, as for some reason, I always tend to sit back further, narrowing the exit pupil and increasing the sharpness of the target once I am on target (same principle as a near sighted person looking through a small pinhole, it will improve and sharpen his distant vision).
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 11:02
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Hiding
................................Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 11:06
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

[ Lookit them lips! Holy Mackeral!]      Bucky....................................Love

Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 11:33
Kiss
ncdrummer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdrummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 11:46
You guys are getting kinky now.  But the lips are pretty nice.  Not yours, I am sure. 

On the Meopta thing:  I am not sure about the Artemis; all my Meoptas are Meostars.  And I love them.  Super bright and clear, repeatable, just plain excellent in every respect.  I am in NC, and hunt a lot around the Piedmont area, as well as SC and MS.  Almost all my hunting is in a climber, although I do get to experience "rich guy" hunting out of aerial condos a few times each year.  When in condos I shoot the 5-R .308 with 4-16x44 R1.  In climbers I usually shoot the 7 SAUM with 3-12x56 R1, because it's lighter and easier to handle.  Again, I can't speak for the Artemis, but the Meostar is something to experience.  Drummer
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 06:58
So NC when you give everyone your impression of the meostar vs the conquest its factual but when a collective of members impressions are referred to its unobjective. What labs are confirming your data? I would say all scope comparisons are someones or a collection of someones impressions not backed by any hard lab data. I don't however feel that SWFA skewers any data to make one brand look better than anothers as you seem to allude. The scale was built with imput from quite a few varied sources. Whether the meostar is actually superior to a conquest would be merely conjecture on varying testers parts. They are in the same league no doubt. I would still prefer the conquest if optically less with the stateside factories and service available and the better eye relief. We will agree to disagree.....

Focus

jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2008 at 08:32
the ONLY thing, if anything, i don't like about Meostar -vs- Conquest is the eye relief, but it's not been a problem for me.

you can flip a coin about meostar vs conquest, optically - sometimes the conquest seems better to me and sometimes the meostar seems better to me. bottom line, they are both optically fantastic - for the money it's hard to beat the conquest OR the meostar - the 3-12x56 meostar is one of the best deals going w/ the #4 reticle.

J
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic