OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Fury 6.5x32

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Fury 6.5x32
    Posted: January/18/2008 at 15:09

Many hunters accept the "bigger is better" paradigm and hang 10x or 12x binoculars around their necks, without realizing that a larger image created by the binoculars does not necessarily translate into more detail perceived and understood by their brains.

Unless scanning from one mountaintop to the next one four miles away, most hunters would actually benefit from brighter and sharper images (large exit pupil), wide field of view, and, most of all, from steady images. Steady images are found in binoculars with lower magnifications. 

I remember using a Swarovski 7x30 and a Zeiss 7x42 in the past, and i always noticed that i actually see more and better than with their 10x counterparts. I still regret not purchasing a 7x30 SLC when they were available with the updated coatings and waterproofings.
For those of you hunting east of the Big River, i suggest a new model: Vortex 6.5x32. I have a Leupold Yosemite 6x30 and have tried a Leupold Katmai 6x32, and they are awesome. Judging by their specification, the Fury 6.5x32 promisses to be much better than the Katmai. I am anxious to try it. If any of you comes across this model, please have a look at it and let us know.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2008 at 20:06
anweis,

I have been waiting to try this model since last spring when they first posted the info/specs on the website. I have not checked lately to see if they are available but I think your post is again turning me in that direction.

FWIW I agree with your comments. I have never hunted with anything more than 8x and in some circumstances even that can be too much. I used the 6x Yosemite this past season along with one or two other bins and at no time did I feel I was missing something for the type of hunting that I do. In fact, I actually felt like I was seeing more because of the increased depth of field, wider true field of view and brighter, steadier overall image.

I think I may have to break down and just take the 7x42 FLs out this season. ;)
Frank
Wally View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2008 at 13:47
I would like to hear something about this particular binocular myself.  I recently looked through a set of 6x32 Katmais, and was impressed.  I agree with Frank that the lower power has some advantages for my hunting areas.  I've heard the Vortex binoculars are really good, and the 6.5x32 sure has my attention.

Steve  
gabby1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gabby1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 06:15

I just got to look at a pair of these yesterday and was very impressed. Very bright and seemed clear all the way out to the edges.Real easy to hold steady to. I really liked the locking diopiter. One of these days I am going to check them out at sundown. If I like them at dark thirty this will be my next pair of hunting binos .

Mike
jonbravado View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonbravado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 11:15
sign me up - those are next on my list as well.

J
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2008 at 23:51
I guess Swift must do a pretty poor job of advertising.  It is strange in that they make the best currently available binocular in this particular size category.  They have had the thing in their line up for years, since before you ever saw phase coated mid range $ binoculars.  That is the 7x36 Eaglet.  Swift has updated their coatings less than a year or so ago.  This is a 64 layer prism coating they call cold fusion technology (CFT).  They added 8x &10x42 models to their Eaglet line at that time. My 7x36 Eaglet bests my 8x42 Monarch in any measure by which I have compared them.  The difference is pretty dramatic. 
Anweis is correct about the less can be more observation that started this thread.  I wander around in another forum and have been fortunate enough to be on the list for an 6.5x32 Fury to test.  I'm really looking forward to comparing the Eaglet and Fury.

Steve
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 14:46
I love my 6X32 Katmai.  If the Vortex is that much better, it's getting up there with the high dollar stuff.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 17:25
Swift Eaglet is actually a pretty good binocular, although I was a little surprised it did not have wider field of view.

ILya
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2008 at 20:24
Another very good "'smaller" bino is the Minox 6.5X32 IF. I don't think they are still available now but do come up for sale every now and then. Some do not like the independant focus, but I find it very nice to use, set it and forget it. Looking forward to a comparision to the Vortex Fury.  Any word on the Vortex Viper line of scopes? 
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2008 at 18:40
" If any of you comes across this model, please have a look at it and let us know. "

I now have this binocular in my possession and agree with the comments above. The binocular feels very well made with huge ocular lenses. Optically the image is extremely "comfortable" with a huge sweet spot...think Swaro SLC, EL and Nikon LX in this regard. I am working on putting together a nice little review of it and will post it shortly.

Edited by FrankD - March/05/2008 at 18:41
Frank
gabby1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gabby1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 17:40

Frank, after looking through my dads 6.5 x 32 furys, I was impressed but I thought if these were that good the 8 x 42 vipers had to be better, well after I ordered and received the vipers,I compared them to dads furys and it took me about 30 minutes to figure out I liked the  furys better. So the vipers went back in favor of the little furys which I received today. When you say the image is extremely comfortable, I could not agree more, while comparing the two I kept saying the furys were easier to look through and easier on my eyes. And it seemed to me that the focus knob on the vipers was to fast for me, I was constantly messing with it. I did not have this problem with the furys.The vipers were brighter at dark thirty,but my leupold 10 x 50 mesas seemed to be as bright if not brighter.I am by no means a bino expert, just a hunter and wildlife watcher. Maybe I got a bad pair of vipers do not really know, but I do think the little furys are darn good. Will look forward to your review.

Mike

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2008 at 18:51
gabby,

I think your comparison is spot on. I have owned both of the bins, though not at the same time, and I think your comparison was a very good one.
Frank
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 10:51
I'd stick with the Leupold Katmai 6X32.  The Vortex Fury 6.5X32 is a lot bigger, and 4oz heavier.  Those are very important factors to me in this type of binocular.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2008 at 19:16
Probably an unfortunate side effect of the larger field of view.....optical design.
Frank
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2008 at 12:22
Originally posted by FrankD FrankD wrote:

Probably an unfortunate side effect of the larger field of view.....optical design.

??????  423 ft vs 436 ft is not significant in my book.  It's a 3% increase you would not notice in the field.

The Katmai 6X32 is a great binocular.  I'm sure the Vortex is alright (never seen a pair), but for me one of the big reasons for using a 6X is size and weight, and the Vortex lags way behind in that area.  It's 25% larger and 22% heavier; not what I call good optical design.
gabby1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gabby1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2008 at 13:22
I liked the size and weight of the furys, they just seemed to fit. I also liked the locking diopter on the focus wheel. Never looked through the katmai so I can not comment on them. Living where I do it is hard to look through any of them before buying. After messing with the furys for awhile I am impressed with them. 

Mike
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2008 at 15:21
Lots of people like a heavier and larger binocular, and they are good for keeping you steady.  I just like my 6X to be something I can tuck inside my shirt easily when I'm bowhunting, or can get out of the way of my string easily.  I couldn't do that with the Vortex.  I'd like the chance to look though a pair so I could see what all the fuss is about.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2008 at 19:18
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

Originally posted by FrankD FrankD wrote:

??????  423 ft vs 436 ft is not significant in my book.  It's a 3% increase you would not notice in the field.

Actually I was just thinking out loud in the sense that the Fury pulls off a 445 foot field of view in a 22 ounce package...not necessarily in comparison to the Katmai. Even with only a 6.5x magnification I imagine it takes a pretty complex (and therefore heavy) optical design in order to do this especially since the size of the sweet spot is so wide.

Nothing against the Katmai. I owned a pair fo the 8x32s...wish they had a bit wider field of view in that configuration but otherwise I was very impressed with what is probably the smallest 32 mm on the market.
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic