OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help Spend Christmas $$$$

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIgDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Spend Christmas $$$$
    Posted: January/18/2008 at 09:39
Here's the situation...................I got the wife a new wedding ring for Christmas so now I get to spend some $$$$ on me!Yippee  I am going on a trip to Africa this summer (Plains Game) and I need to purchase a new rifle scope for a .338 custom rifle and I need a new set of binoculars as well.  The budget will be in the $1500 - $2000 range total package.  I have no problem purchasing off of the Sample List etc., I just want to get the best scope/binocular package for the money.  I have been reading this site for a month now and there are some EXTREMELY knowledgable people here.  Thanks in advance for your input. 
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 10:12
I'd look into the Conquest or the Kahles, from about 2.5 or 3 to 10, and some good Nikon Binocs, IOR makes a 3-18x42 that is very good as well, should you prefer having the higher mag as a possibility. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
BIgDawg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIgDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 10:38
When looking at the Kahles, some of them say "1st focal plane illuminated"..............what does this mean?  I know I am a rookie, but what about the 1" tube versus 30 mm?  My maximum effective range is 300 yards so 10 or 12 x should be good.  Low light conditions might be a higher priority.  Thanks cyborg. 
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 10:53
1st or FFP means the reticle is in front of the mag, or erector tube so the cross hairs will get larger with the object that is being viewed, The 1 inch tube or 30 mm question is not anything for you to be concerned with, I prefer 30mm tubes myself but have a few of both.
Look at this scope, also consider the Trijicon line.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 11:47
I'd look at the conquest or kahles scopes and spend the rest on a good pair of binos.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 12:12
When I worked for the "World's Foremost Outfitter" I thought the best binocs were the Leica's.  SWFA has some new Ultravid's 8X40 & 8X50s for $1,199.99.  That leaves you just enough to get a Kahles 2.5-10X50 C from the Samplelist for $799.99.  Or you could save a bit and get a Kahles 4-12X52 CL for $699.99.

I'm sure there are some other binocs on the Samplelist that would work just as well if not better...... but I'll let others chime in about those, I don't know too much about high binocs.
take em!
BIgDawg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIgDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 12:25
What is the main difference in the C Class Kahles and the CL's? 
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 13:40
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 15:01
Big Dawg........... any update?
take em!
BIgDawg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIgDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 12:16
Tip 69,

I had a few questions on the Kahles scopes and started a different thread.  Sorry.  I ended up purchasing the 3X12-56 Helia C Kahles scope with the 4NK illuminated reticle.  I also purchased the 10x42 Kahles binoculars.  Thanks so much for your advice and help.  I have some old Steiner binoculars that are in really great shape that I am thinking about selling.  I may sell both the Kahles and the Steiners in the future and get a set of Leica's or Swarovski's.  Thanks so much for all of your help. 
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 12:25
I'm gonna go git packed up fer Me and BigDawg's trip!!....................Bucky    
BIgDawg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIgDawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 12:41
I think that I am going to wait and see how the therapy sessions with Dr. Phil go before we pack your bags and hand you a gun.Loco  We may need to have a "evaluation period".  You kinda scared Mrs. Big Dawg with those "emots" on the Swarovski thread. 
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2008 at 14:13

ooops........Angel    (here's one.)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic