OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski binos which power 7-42 or 10-42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski binos which power 7-42 or 10-42
    Posted: January/17/2008 at 19:38
Please help me decide which power bino would be needed for hunting low light . Have been told to go with the 10-42 and be done with it.Just wanted to know what you'll thought. Both are SLC models.7-42 or 10-42
Thanks for any help
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 21:30
10x42mm gives you an exit pupil of 4.2mm

7x42mm gives you an exit pupil of 6mm

The lower magnification combined with the larger exit pupil will transmit more light to your eye pupils, at dawn and dusk, when your eyes are dilating. 

The 7x also gives you better eye relief at 19mm vs. 14mm for the 10x.

Field Of View for the 7x is much better at 420' vs. 330' for the 10x.

10x will increase contrast and show greater detail, if you don't have a problem with hand shake.

10x has greater diopter adjustments, depending on the differences between your eyes. 
bms View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 22:30
thanks bird watcher,
what about a 7x50 slc , just want to get the right one for that kind of money. I mainly hunt deer in the south with very dark backgrounds, but might go out west . just don't know if the 7x is the one or what,
If I put the 10x42 side by side with the 7x42 both slc models would you really see anymore detail as for as points on bucks with which one or is it just a toss up? Would use for other activitys also. thanks
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 23:47
7x50mm will give you an exit pupil of 7.14mm, but, it's not likely that very many people's eyes will dilate that far. (You could always have your eyes measured by an eye doc to see how close you come, under low lighting).  

7x50mm will give you maximum eye relief at 23mm, great for guys who wear eyeglasses, but, for some/most it could be overkill.

The major concern with a 7x50mm is its weight, which comes in around two and a half pounds, this would require some type of a harness.

Guys who use the Fujinon 7x50mm FMT-SX swear by it, for low light situations, despite the Individual Focusing and extra weight.

The greater the distance the greater the advantage the 10x will have, especially if you go out west, where you may end up taking longer shots. (out west you may be glassing at longer distances as well, just to get a look at your game)

The most ideal situation would be for you to handle and look through all three of these models and see which one feels best in your hands and up against your eyes. Testing them outdoors would be a real plus.

Edited by Bird Watcher - January/17/2008 at 23:59
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 03:56
+1 on Bird Watcher's comments. You can use those 7x42 Swarovski's all day long with no eye strain.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 07:09
bms, have you ever considered just splitting the difference and getting a high quality 8X42?  The 8X gives you most of the best qualities of both.  I realize Swaro doesn't make an 8X42 config (strangely only 8X30 & 8X50) in the SLC New line, so if you have your mind made up, it's understandable because the SLC is a great binocular.  Between the 7X42 and 10X42, I'd probably go for the 7X as well, as I prefer having more FOV, DOF, light transmission, and less noticeable optical aberrations than raw magnification, but I'd prefer just a smidge more power and think 8X is the best all around compromise power.  I might even elect to get the 8X50, as it will be a great low light performer, but weight and size may be an issue to you.  I think it's pretty odd that Swaro omitted 8X42, arguably the most popular roof prism configuration.

Edited by RifleDude - January/18/2008 at 07:18
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
bms View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 09:42
Thanks as always to all the great help and suggestions. I'm trying to pull the trigger on a great set of bino's off the samplelist and would like to keep it to a $1000 limit. Just want to get something for a lifetime of enjoyment since I don't have this kind of money to play with often.Thanks for all the the help.
I hunt late in the south with thick pine thickets and also enjoy camping, hiking and fishing so would like something that I could use year around.Thanks for anymore help with this madness. Just kidding- BMS
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 10:02
I guess I am th opposite.  I would rather have the extra magnification.  I can use my 10-42 meopta's and see perfectly fine in morning and evening.  I have used them before light and been able to seen deer and elk with just the moonlight.  I will admit I have very good eye sight and good night vision though, so maybe that is why I prefer the higher power.  The whole field of view thing does not really matter to me either, because if you are looking at a deer that is 100 yards or several hundred yards it is not going to be near as big as the field of view anyway.  So what difference will 80 ft make in that sense. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 10:03

bms

I have more high magnification binoculars than low, however, for everyday general use I find my wife's Katmai 6x, or my Fujinon 7x, most addictive because of the wide Field Of View and the great Depth Of Focus.

For the 'occasional trip' out west, you should consider a less expensive bino if you really think that the extra power is needed.

For close in hunting, as well as camping, hiking and fishing a low magnification binocular is unbeatable. 
etc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 21:10
10x gives you increase magnification over lower powers, but apparently any advantages that offers are canceled by increased shake. Few can use 10x off-hand for extended periods of time, or at all.  FWIW, I have a 8x and it's at the limit of what I can hand-hold.

In addition to smaller FOV of 10x, another disadvantage is lesser depth of field.

Regarding performance at dusk, I've heard that higher power is better and I've also heard that bigger objective is better.

I think it's pretty odd that Swaro omitted 8X42, arguably the most popular roof prism configuration. 

It is odd. It's also odd they don't make a 7x30 or 7x32mm.
The appealing thing about 7x is that it's very steady and easy to hold.

There is a reason why 8x is the most popular configuration sold. 42mm objectives are awesome. I think 8x42 is an awesome all-around configuration. Too bad Swaro doesn't make it. Leica does, there are awesome deals on 8x42 Trinovids on Ebay in the 800-900 range. Ultravid is more expensive of course.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 22:34
Another vote for the higher power bino's. Hunting, I like a little extra magnification in both my bino's and rifle scope.

I don't get that shake some describe using 10x bino probably because I'm using 42mm and up; I'm not an expert but I think the weight cancels out the shake. I used compact bino's like 8x20 & 10x25 in the past and because their so light it's hard to keep them stable unless your resting against something

Swarovski EL's are roof prism and come in 8.5x42.

-Mike

Edited by mike650 - January/19/2008 at 09:59
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 07:49
I have had the 7x42 SLCs for some time now and I am really really happy with them.  I went to 2-3 stores in my state and compared the EL and SLCs in 8x30, 7x42, 8.5 x42, 10 x 42.  I couldn't hold the 10x42 steady and if I looked through them long it would cause eye strain.  Thus they were eliminated.  I really liked the ELs but for that price I could't afford to spend that much and I didn't see alot of difference for the $$.  I really liked the size and weight of the 8x30 but when it was about dusk you could see where the 7x42 would shine plus they were alot easier on my eyes and no shake at all.  So I went with the 7x42 and have been happy every since.

This past christmas I had heard that Swarovski had changed the lenses in the SLCs to match the ELs and I took the plunge and sold my old SLCs and bought a new pair of 7x42 SLCs with the new updated lenses and you can definately tell the difference between my old and new SLCs.  Go ahead and get the best and you will never need to buy another pair unless Swarovski developes something to top these.  I went through four other pair of binoculars before I bought Swarovski's.  I'll never look back now not to mention they have the absolute best customer service in the buisness. 
Birdhunter
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 22:21
Good info!!

I think the big difference between the SLC's and EL's is the weight.

Besides the price, what did you think of the 8.5x42's?

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2008 at 07:16
If I was going to spend the money to get the EL's then my choice would be the 8.5 x 42mm for sure.  I just couldn't see spending almost $700 more for a little lighter binocular.  I think it was something like 5-6 oz lighter.  I personally like the rubber armor of the SLC's and I think it will look better and bet a tougher body overall.  If I wanted something light I would go either either the 30-32mm in the SLC or EL.  However you would give up some light gathering at dusk and dawn over a 42mm binocular.  I have had both and I do alot of walking and still hunting and glassing while I'm walking and I really liked the 30-32mm.  However if your going to do alot of hunting with them get the 42mm for the light gathering ability.  Most of my shots are 200yrds or less in creek bottoms or smaller fields 100 acres of less.  I went and tried all the ELs and SLCs in every configeration from 30mm to 50mm and I personally prefered the 42mm.  Good luck and let us know what you decide to get.  Remember Swarovski has the best customer service in the business!  This means alot when your using/owning high dollar optics.
Birdhunter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic