OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Stevens/Savage 200 Rechambering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stevens/Savage 200 Rechambering
    Posted: January/16/2008 at 20:18
I know alot of readers here are probably well aware that the Stevens 200 rifle is  a perfect canidate for a caliber change. I  have personally done two, one was originally a .243 Win converted to .260. , the other an 06' converted to 35 whelen.  It can be done for under $500.00 including original gun, new barrel, go-nogo gauges and a new stock.  Its great, simple project that allows you to have a unique rifle and a great time doing it, at minimal cost.  Just curious how many others have done this.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 14:23
I have not, but call myself an amateur gunsmith and have put together a handful of semi-custom/custom rifle built on commercial Mauser actions that I true and put into a walnut stock that I finish and glass bed.  From what I understand, the Stevens action, is essentially the same as the old Savage action.  Do you do any work on the action?  I guess if I was doing it, I would take it down to bare metal, true it and finish it with a high gloss bluing.  I would probably put into a Bell and Carlson synthetic stock to make it simple, but if the action turned out nice looking, it may be worth putting into a nice walnut stock finished to a customers specs, i.e. gloss vs. satin finish.  How well does the 260 shoot and what brand of barrel did you put on the rifle?  Where are the barrel markings located in reference to the stock?  Meaning, I know you can adjust headspace using the barrel nut and adjuster, but unless you are lucky, how did you get the markings to align with the stock edge?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 14:49
I wouldn't even consider myself an amateur gunsmith, just an enthusiast,  that said I did infact stock the guns wtih bell & carlson stocks.  I did not go to any extremes of aligning barrel to action.  I just used go-nogo guages and left it at that.  The barrels were of adams & barrnett (inexpensive).  I'm still developing loads for the .260 though I did sight the gun in with factory Federal 125gr. Nosler/Partitions, results were ok, if my memory serves me 1.5'.  I'm developing loads with 129gr. Hornady and h4831, hoping to find better accuracy but i'm not sure what to expect.
Dolphin View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dolphin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 15:02
Are you a Wby. nut, as I am?  Just curious.  Alot of guys on here, have what sounds like a personal agenda against Wby. for unknown reasons.  Maybe, its because of their glossy stocks, monte carlo stocks, the fact that nobody uses them in bench rest competition, the fact that they build the strongest action on the market or just plain jealousy.  Personally, while I love my Wbys., I own multiple brands of rifles and love everyone I own and am loyal to each of those manufacturers.  Keep working on those hand loads.  I might take a look at those Stevens actions.  I have another project starting soon on a Parker Hale 300 win. mag. barreled action, so I will be consumed in that for about 100 work hours, at least.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 15:15
Originally posted by Dolphin Dolphin wrote:

Alot of guys on here, have what sounds like a personal agenda against Wby. for unknown reasons.  Maybe, its because of their glossy stocks, monte carlo stocks, the fact that nobody uses them in bench rest competition, the fact that they build the strongest action on the market or just plain jealousy.

Or...maybe some of us think that Weatherbys are overpriced and overated....Stiring%20The%20Pot   Wink

Edited by cheaptrick - January/19/2008 at 15:17
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 15:33
I personally own just one weatherby rifle, but to me owning a weatherby is like having one very fine pair of Italian shoes, sports car, ect., do I need it; no, would I have another;  of course. I'm sure I could get by with any of my other rifles of different manufacture, but i'm a rifle nut and won't be happy until I try them all,  LOL Wink or at least some of them.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 15:39
Who makes weatherby's? Just kiddin' with ya Dolphin.....got nothing for or against weatherbys at this point.

Lucytuma, I build and rework savages which would include the stevens actions. If you true the action face and barrel nut face than all you need is a machined recoil lug in place of the stamped factory one. The bolt face floats so everything will be in perfect alignment if the barrel threads on the action straight. B&C makes a decent synthetic stock for the money, stockade makes a better one however. If the barrel is already stamped it can end up anywhere when you reheadspace it. You can take a brass case sized in your dies and use it to headspace if you really want a super tight headspace job for reloads. Wheeler action vice from competitor is worth its weight in gold when you start barrel swapping. You are working with a nice caliber in the 260, couldn't pick a better whitetail caliber. Did you do anything with the trigger? Sharpshooter Supply and Timney both make a nice replacement. Enjoy your guns and stay on the lookout for more barrels.

Focus
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 17:59
The barrels purchased were not stamped, so I didn't have an alignment issue,  I'm still contimplating trigger upgrades, not only on this rifle, but also on a ruger 25-06.  What are your thoughts on the trigger upgrades???
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 18:04
Hey Focus, I did not opt for a new recoil lug, is this going to be an issue??
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 18:27
The factory jobs aren't dead straight and can taper a couple thou. SSS sells the good machined ones that mic the same all over, about $25-29 so not too expensive. You can always pop one on, if you are getting good accuracy now I wouldn't worry about it (thats the beauty of that floating bolt head). The triggers are all good, the rifle basix adjusts down a little lower than the timney but they feel and break about the same. Timney is a lot less money at under a $100, Sharpshooter Supply designed and built by Fred Moreo in Ohio are also real nice and I believe just over a $100. I like the timney for hunting guns cause I never adjust down much under 2# and thats where the timney bottoms out safely. You can change them yourself, just keep track of where everything goes and make sure and have three hands :>) I believe your stevens if not very new has the older style savage trigger that adjusts but not the accutrigger which just started appearing on the newest models. You can fiddle with the stock trigger and get it better than it is but once you try a timney you won't want to go back. Sounds like you're having fun and its neat that one can do the bulk of the building work themselves.

Focus

Edited by Focus - January/19/2008 at 18:28

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2008 at 18:48
I used a Stevens long action 30-06 trued up, with a Douglas top of line barrel, Timmey trigger at 2 lb. ultimate varmint stock & 25 moa picatinney rail. My thanks to GA precision of North Kansas city for the work and LTM Refinishing for the finish. It fits me and is a tack driver varmint & target rifle.

Duce Big%20Smile
Duce
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 10:34
Are there any issues with the magazine and cartridge feeding on these swaps? 
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2008 at 11:18
I have not had any problem on mine.

Duce Smile
Duce
olsingleshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsingleshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 13:33
Where are you getting aftermarket stocks for your Stevens? Since their bolt spacing and new type magazine, Savage stocks will not fit.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 13:48
Combat stocks had the ultimate varmint stock that I used

Duce Smile
Duce
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 15:24
Stockade is doing stocks for the new inline mag savage and stevens. Like size (family) cartridges don't have mag or feeding issues but going to another size can cause mag changes to be in order as well as follower or feeding lip massaging.

Focus

Edited by Focus - January/23/2008 at 18:38

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsingleshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 15:48
Thanks for the info. I just built a .260 on a Stevens action, Lothar Walther barrel, rifle basiz trigger and Choate stock, but I was thinking about a sporter/lighter stock. I know Choate is in the process of producing one but it is not out yet.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2008 at 18:33
There are quite a few different companies tooling up to do stocks for the new inline center feed actions. Kevin Rayhill at stockade stocks (do a search for them they have a decent web site) is just doing it already I guess. He does a light weight sporter, a monte carlo hump sporter (mule deer) a varmint (woodchuck) and several others. They all have an aluminum skeleton built in with pillars and they aren't floppy like the factory ones. I have a couple and consider them on the level of mcmillian for quality and fit. His paint jobs are very tough and scratch resistant epoxy, my one has been drug thru the Maine puckerbrush for 5 years now with no scratches. They are not too heavy (the sporters) and make good hunting stocks. I'm building a 260 right now on a savage 12 action, Lothar Walther barrel, timney trigger, SSS recoil lug, and one of stockades light sporter stocks (earth brown with grey cobwebbing). Everything should arrive in the next couple weeks. Now I just need some talley lightweight rings/mounts, and to decide what scope I'm going to try. The 3.5x10x44 conquest is a little on the heavy side (15.7 oz) and I can't seem to decide on what I will use yet...... Take Care....

Focus

Edited by Focus - January/23/2008 at 18:42

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 06:37
All I will say is WOW!!!! Savage RULES!!!!!!!
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote olsingleshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2008 at 06:45
Thanks for the info. I'll find out more at the SHOT Show next week. You will like the L/W barrel. They double lap them so break in is not necessary and it is the easiest barrel to clean I have seen. I have not put a lot of rounds through mine yet, I write a small syndicated gun column for newspapers and did one one buliding this rifle. I think the .260 is a perfect white tail cartridge. I used Warne bases and rings with a Bushnell 4200 series scope.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic