OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Fixed Power vs variable power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samhill79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2008 at 21:59
I have hunded since a child with a 30.06 in SE Idaho.  I have used both Variable and Fixed.  After talking it over with my brothers we rarely used the variable power and are usually set on 4-6 X.  I have used a Leo 6X for about 10 yrs now with a Leo dot recticle.  We have used Leo's and B&L Elites.   Both of my brothers and a nephew have now switched to 6X since using mine. The fixed power to us seems to have "slightly" more light in low light conditions.  IMO I think using high X's tends to encourage unethical shots, inhances percieved ability to shoot long distance, distorts true hold over.   I have shot both deer and elk at 30 or so yards with no problem using the dot.  At longer distance I can "stack" my dot to account for hold over.  Thats just our opinion but I would never say that someone using a variable would not have the same success.    Buy what you or you will always wish it was something else.  Like the song  "its not having what you want, it wanting what you've got"   just my 2 cents and adjusted for inflation thats probably more like .0002 cents
Fatty and skinny went to bed, fatty rolled over and skinny was dead.
Focus View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master
Conquistador!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Focus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 08:00
My problem with fixed powers has always been you have to choose for closer or longer shots. One will suffer due to compromise, a six seems the best compromise but the FOV at closer ranges especially with a moving target is just too small. On the other hand a 2 1/2-4 is better suited for the close range shot but at distance they make it a lot harder to thread a shot or to make out detail in lower light conditions. That to me is the inherent beauty of a variable......the ability to adapt to varying hunting conditions as they happen. Close or far, moving or stationary, good light or poor, open shot or threading thru a tiny opening, all these shots present theirselves to me during hunting seasons at differing times.The fixed are brighter than an identical level variable but the fact that you can still move up to a brighter variable also exists. One power just can't be the best for all....

Focus

Edited by Focus - January/18/2008 at 08:03
I Can See Clearly Now......<><

If Accurate rifles Are Interesting.....I've Got Some Savages That Are Getting Mighty Interesting......
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 11:45
Well put Focus!
take em!
Bonefish View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 15:17
Dale,
I have a Redfield Widefield 1 3/3x5 on the Ruger Model 1 and have been concerned about the mounting position of a new scope, considering the setback you mentioned. What scope should I be looking for to fit this gun. Any Recommendations?
"Every one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2008 at 17:25
Originally posted by jonbravado jonbravado wrote:

I like the simplicity of a fixed, but it's nice to have options if you need em.
the 4x and 6x from IOR and Kahles are still very attractive to me.

good thread.

J

I can relate to JB on this.  Although 95% of my scopes are variables and I recognize the versatility advantage they offer, I look at a fixed power riflescope the same way I look at a nice, falling block, single shot rifle.  Both have a certain romance and elegant simplicity to them that appeals to me.  I love my little 4X32 Zeiss Conquest!  It has very bright, clear optics, is fairly compact, and offers a nice, wide FOV.  I don't use the rifle it's mounted on for long shots anyway, and I believe for hunting in woods, 4X is a better fixed magnification than 6X personally, because it isn't overpowered for close shots, yet it also isn't too underpowered for 150 yd and under shots at deer, which is all I ever ask of it.  I never have to worry about being faced with a quick 20 yard shot and forgetting that I left my power ring set on 10X.  There's just something to be said for keeping it simple.  Even though variables these days are very durable, high quality instruments, they are still more mechanically complex and therefore, more prone to failure, even if failure is rare.  A fixed power scope will always be less expensive than a variable of equal optical quality and usually be lighter and more compact as well.  So, I say there's a definite place for a nice fixed powered scope and in some respects, I think it actually offers some advantages over a variable.  I will always own and buy way more variable than fixed power scopes, but still, a few nice fixed power scopes will always reside in my collection.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic